TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a summer job now which means i will have a little spending money in the near future. As of now I still have a stock 99 4runner. My plan is to get sliders first, then I was thinking budsbuilt skids. I will constantly be looking for an e-locker as well. Im thinking it would be best to get this stuff (hopefully) by the end of the summer and then save up for a lift and tires for next summer. Does going this way sound good/make sense? any advice is welcome. Thanks.
Jared

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Sliders are the first best investment anyone can make!!! Start there for sure!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now I have an almost new set of bridgestone Dueler A/T's 265/70 so I figure those will do for a while.
RedRunner did you get your 4crawler sliders w/ the ultimate option or with kickouts? they are nice sliders just wondering about the options. Also I have been looking around and I found that marlin has a set of sliders for $150! does anyone have an opinion on these. http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/armor.htm#sliders

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Mine are the Ultimate, no kickout. I got them from a guy who ordered them, but never installed them, so got a bit of a deal. Otherwise, I don't know if I would have gone with the Ultimate version.

The Marlin and TrailGear ones are just fine, my only concern is with the way they taper back in at the ends of getting stuff (rocks, branches) trapped in there. But you can hardly buy the steel and make them yourself for that price!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I looked around a little more and found these sliders from 4X Innovations. They are a great price and you have a choice between DOM and HREW, and you can get a kickout at no extra cost. They say it is for years 83-95 but since the legs aren't attached I think it will fit on a 99 4runner, right?

http://4xinnovations.com/pages/guarding/sliders.htm

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I absolutaly LOVE my kickouts. They have saved my body on the side so MANY times.. In fact they have saved my body from TROY driving Tippy many times :D

That kickout (All Pro) is what kept me from going over here.... (Hard to see but it is right in front of my rear tire)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have the Marlin sliders. They work good but no kickouts. I don't mind the non kickouts on my crawler :saw:

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Depends on if you can weld or not ... if you can, I would just do them, but I'd have to add the install fee to the price of the sliders and see how it compared to bolt on.

Also, weld is a little less "design dependent", whereas bolt on can be really bad for your frame if not done right. Which ones are you looking at?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Bolt on gives you more flexibility (in theory): remove, repaint, resell, etc. And it can be a DIY job if you're not a welder.

Mine are bolt-on, and I'm glad I went that route (I think welding was too much of a commitment for me....;) ). But let me tell you - drilling into the frame is no day at the park, unless you've got some really high end tools. I have a nice corded Milwaukee, but it took me a couple of days (on and off) and a few drill bits to get the job done (6 holes). Kicked my ass....luckily the other 8 holes were pre-existing in the frame.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
also... to add to the bolt on ones....
if you actually use them.. you will probably bend the frame a little (unless its a u-channel mount) and could have a very hard time getting them back on if you take them off.

mine are bolt on and i doubt i can ever actually take them off cuz my frames bent around them a little

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
x2 what Una said. If you plan on wheeling harder... (And I promise once you are int his sport YOU will wheel harder than you ever thought possible) Weld em on.... The welds don't have to be pretty. Just functional! (Mine aren't - but they were done by the guy who does all the welding for obermyer ski lift chairs in colorado) :D

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I have had both marlin and tg sliders. work the same, actually identical. Ive used them both and had no complants, this is with no gussets either(yet)

No Gussets? YOU? SOM?

Whenever Troy does the waterfall in Carnage Canyon (Boulder) He always bends up my driver side slider just enough so that when I open the rear door it screeches like a banshee! But a BFH usually fixes it....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts