TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, new to taco's, not new to working on vehicles or message boards. I'm picking up a 96 2.7/5 speed with the base single din am/fm radio. That'd be fine if I could wire up an AUX in, but in my days of searching here and CT (that place sucks...anyone who lowers a truck should be beaten with reeds) all I could find was info on the 98+ radios. Any ideas of what other factory toyota head units fit in place? I'd even take one with a tape player and just use a tape adaptor...but I'd prefer not to. If nothign else, I'll just get a pioneer and run with that....but I'd prefer to just keep a factory head unit in there, it looks much cleaner to me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I dont have an answer to your question however, I used to have a nice sony cd player and then I got an ipod. I had to put the stock tape player back in so I could run the ipod through the tape. I like the tape cause its easy to take out. If you run AUX in the back theres always gonna be a wire and those male headphone jacks dont last long, it always seems like the wires break inside somewhere and you lose a speaker. I guess what i'm saying is I like my stock tape player better than any aftermarket head unit I agree with you because they look better. And the tape sounds great and its easy to take out when needed, no wires if you dont want them, easy to replace.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my soon to be gone cherokee, I hardwired the ipod connection to my pioneer head unit, and it worked really good...I'd prefer to have it set up that way since I hide the wires away as much as possible. That being said, you are right...it's hard to beat the simplicity of the tape deck adapter. The sound quality isn't there like hard wiring it...but you can only get so much sound quality in a pickup cab (sorry if that steps on any toes)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think the tape sounds great as long as you dont overdrive it with the volume on the ipod all the way up, you will learn where to set it. I play my music loud but when I turn it down, you can hear the tape running, idc though, still sounds way better than radio or FM transmitters.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
The Scion radio plugs right in on Tacomas from '98 - '04 for sure. I can't be sure about a '96, though.

The Scion radio mod kicks ass! I love mine - especially with the Sirius satellite radio. Much better sound quality than the OEM Tacoma radio, but still maintain that OEM look. Mine came out of a 2005 Scion and has AM/FM, CD, SAT, but if you can find one from a 2006+, you have the iPod port too.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9612&highlight=Scion+radio+mod

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39469&highlight=sirius

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=654844&postcount=23

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...I think I'm just gonna run with stereo only for a while, the stock unit is surprisingly good sounding. If I stumble on a deal for a tape player, or find out more on the scion mod, I'll go that route.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well...I think I'm just gonna run with stereo only for a while, the stock unit is surprisingly good sounding. If I stumble on a deal for a tape player, or find out more on the scion mod, I'll go that route.

I think I seen an OEM 6disc single din changer on eBay yesterday... Would be cool if you could hook that up to your factory single din tape deck.

-edit-

Didn't find the listing I did yesterday for just the 6disc changer, but I found this instead.. which is both units attached together. Check eBay item #200097637763

-edit #2-
Noticed that you were wanting something with AUX for an iPod, but would settle for using a tape adatper... So I guess the ebay auction above would work in that situation, and give you 6discs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts