TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my T I'm trying to figure out what gears to but it's a 3.4 with 5 speed and I plan to run 35-37s

·
Registered
796 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like SADGOAT said, 5.29 w/35" tires for sure. You could get by w/4.88 if your a mall crawler. But you`ll need the 5.29 for crawling over rocks.

Attachments

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
? I'm in a mt 3.4 with 35" beadlocks an 4.88's and my truck is no mall crawler

37" though 5.29 hands down

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of my friends said 5.29 is mostly for 4cyl

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
? I'm in a mt 3.4 with 35" beadlocks an 4.88's and my truck is no mall crawler

37" though 5.29 hands down
'T' not for Tacoma ;)

5.29s for 35s...forget the 37s.

·
Registered
796 Posts
One of my friends said 5.29 is mostly for 4cyl
I had 4:88s with my 33s (3.4 5spd) and went to 5.29s with 33s; I really like it with mixed town/hwy/wheelin. I was surprised that my gas mileage remained the same, just shy of 15mpg. Motor sounds and feels happier=more fun to drive

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
'T' not for Tacoma ;)

5.29s for 35s...forget the 37s.
Good morning my friend...bet you didn't expect to get a reply from me on this thread.

My wife and I might be coming to NorCal in the next month or two, and just wanted to re-establish contact. If you don't mind, PM or E-mail me your current contact details. Are any of the other "old-timers" still around?

OP, I apologize for molesting your thread, but hopefully you can understand.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Like SADGOAT said, 5.29 w/35" tires for sure. You could get by w/4.88 if your a mall crawler. But you`ll need the 5.29 for crawling over rocks.
I would think 4.88's with mt v6 would be good if you have or plan on having dual cases. Should feel about stock on the street and then the reduction from the cases would be plenty for crawling.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would think 4.88's with mt v6 would be good if you have or plan on having dual cases. Should feel about stock on the street and then the reduction from the cases would be plenty for crawling.
One day that will happen. But not right now.i need to drive able

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I used to run 4.10s in my '96 S/C 3.4L Taco w/5-speed and 31s; it was pretty quick.
With the 4.7L in my Tundra, I swapped the 3.91s to 4.30s when I went to 32s.
In my Heep with a hopped-up 4.3L Chevy/TH-350 and 4.7 xfer, the 4.10s are just fine with the 35s.
The RAV on 28.5s with 270hp and whatever final drive ratio hauls ass; i bet it would beat the S/C Taco on the dry, and would most certainly stomp it in the wet.....offroad, not so much.

For your application it would seem the-lower-the-better if going with the 37s.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's going to be mainly a trail rig but also serve as a back up incase my car is having problems. So it will still see some street to and from close trails and work

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 4.10 stock on 33s and it drives fine.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It will not feel stock with 35s (much less 37s) and 4:88s(even if rpm to mph ratios are the same).

·
Registered
796 Posts
BTW, where in AZ are you? I bought my truck in Tucson and started throwing parts at it there

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW, where in AZ are you? I bought my truck in Tucson and started throwing parts at it there
Everyone here has said 4.88 for a v6 unless I'm running bigger than 37s than go lower but if I ran bigger I would just go 1tons. I'm in phx area

1 - 20 of 27 Posts