TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened to the days of rigs that were built well with the right parts in the right places but cheap in others and just flat out worked? Now every thread is about "links and tons or go home" or mall crawling on another forum. I feel like there is a silent majority of sorts that is kinda lost right now from circa 2006 or so. Thinking rigs like mine, Scuba, Dick, Slander, NorcalPR or Showstop in this category.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
What happened to the days of rigs that were built well with the right parts in the right places but cheap in others and just flat out worked? Now every thread is about "links and tons or go home" or mall crawling on another forum. I feel like there is a silent majority of sorts that is kinda lost right now from circa 2006 or so. Thinking rigs like mine, Scuba, Dick, Slander, NorcalPR or Showstop in this category.
Those guys got older and the younger newbies are mostly wannabee fcksticks.:confused:

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Age does have something to do with it I would imagine. The economy doesn't help. It's hard to afford the offroad hobby making $15-$20 an hour in a blue collar job. It wasn't that many years ago that $15 an hour was a good job, and you could build a nice solid axle 'yota on that income, and support a family. Now a days it's tough to do if you make under six figures. It would be interesting to see annual income in build threads.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Age does have something to do with it I would imagine. The economy doesn't help. It's hard to afford the offroad hobby making $15-$20 an hour in a blue collar job. It wasn't that many years ago that $15 an hour was a good job, and you could build a nice solid axle 'yota on that income, and support a family. Now a days it's tough to do if you make under six figures. It would be interesting to see annual income in build threads.
Min wage here is $11 an hour. You won't do well (buy a house, send kids to university, other normal stuff) unless you are making at least $30 an hour here and your wife works and makes at least $20 an hour ($100 000 + a year combined). That's not living large just middle class at best. Being young and single making $60k a year leaves $$$ for fun.

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
There is no glory or fame in it without 1000hp, three hundred miles of bent tube, and 40"+ tires. Rock bouncers have ruined the perception of off-roading ... Who wants a moderately capable rig using genuine parts? That doesn't get you on YouTube videos and in magazines.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
True that on the you tube thing...

But not all of us are seeking attention.

Personally, I use my truck to get AWAY from people. I care not if they are impressed or attracted to it.

Shit, not getting noticed has a whole set of advantages all by it's self.

What matters to me is getting home. Getting out where the tourist can't go is a close second.

Proving something (not sure exactly what) by breaking my truck just isnt part of the plan.

Getting on You Toob? Pretty unlikely.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I figured the a big reason is how much the tacomas cost used. Is a reason you don't see as many people as a few years back on here. I would love to have a 01-04 taco to mess around with and upgrade as I go. But the cost to buy one is too high so less people are getting it.
I might be off from what your saying but to me just feels like vehicles cost to buy are going up up up. and parts are getting more expensive so doing anything other than daily driving them is getting harder to do.

and the gun boom might be to blame. I put a lot of money into that as well as many other the last 6 years to make sure I didn't get stuck wishing I had bought when XYZ was legal and I'm just getting to a point in life where I can spend on vehicles for fun again.

and free time is scarce for most people especially with a down economy, and wives that expect attention.

and video games have gotten expensive and they look fun I wish I had time to play.

and drinking, ill blame my typos on beer

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
there is no glory or fame in it without 1000hp, three hundred miles of bent tube, and 40"+ tires. Rock bouncers have ruined the perception of off-roading ... Who wants a moderately capable rig using genuine parts? That doesn't get you on youtube videos and in magazines.

troof^^^^

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no glory or fame in it without 1000hp, three hundred miles of bent tube, and 40"+ tires. Rock bouncers have ruined the perception of off-roading ... Who wants a moderately capable rig using genuine parts? That doesn't get you on YouTube videos and in magazines.
I agree, that the rock bouncing scene has really cut into the "regular" builds that were nice dual purpose trucks that didn't ride on a trailer the whole time.

I think people who were into it getting older and starting families has slowed things down as well. Both from a money and time perspective. For whatever reason this generation of young professional types just hasn't found that much interest it seems either. More interested in either jeeps or the bars for some reason.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
That's a pretty open ended question that has lots of right answers.
I'm not sure why, but now a days I don't see many kids that are as enthused about the true sport as I was when I got my Tacoma (I was 19 when I got it back in 09).

Not only that, but when you do see kids getting into it, they seem to just want to lift their junk so they can put 33's on it look good at the mall. They're too afraid to scratch up the truck their mommy bought them to take it out and truly experience what the sport/ hobby has to offer.

For me, it was (and still is) a way to escape the daily grind. Get away from the stress of college papers and minimum wage part time work. I now work full time and make a few bucks over minimum wage. But, life still has it's stressful times. I plan my time around wheeling, not wheeling around my time.
It's a lifestyle to me. Not a hobby.

My rig might not be the best, but everything I did over the years was centered around having a well built, but very reliable, truck that I can DD.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I think a lot of people stopped getting on because its boring reading the same threads over and over. I mean think about it. The recipe for a well built crawler is pretty simple. After 10 or so builds it gets old. Add to that the loss of wheeling sites. Now think about every noob who gets on and says, " hey, i have xyz, can i do this with it?" People here, and on other sites go out of their way to make fun of the guy. Ill admit, its kinda funny, but it's easy to see why new people don't stick around. I drive 6 hours to the closest wheeling spot that provides more than a days worth of fun (harlan). Honestly, the only thing that keeps me in right now is knowing I would lose sooooo much money if I sold out.

·
Administrator
18,259 Posts
I think a lot of people stopped getting on because its boring reading the same threads over and over.
This same scenario plays out everywhere. Mostly what happens is groups get together and organize a smaller "local" club that is just a smaller number of people. They organize their own trips with their smaller niche of people that they know. Split this out over lots of cities/states and the herd starts to thin out. Many of those smaller groups die off but some never really get back with the original larger groups.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
This same scenario plays out everywhere. Mostly what happens is groups get together and organize a smaller "local" club that is just a smaller number of people. They organize their own trips with their smaller niche of people that they know. Split this out over lots of cities/states and the herd starts to thin out. Many of those smaller groups die off but some never really get back with the original larger groups.
This is true. Very true and it even happened with me and some of my (now) good friends that I met on TTORA runs.

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
My truck is built. Now I just wheel it. I still wheel with the Socal chapter all the time. I'd venture to say we are one of the most active chapters on TTORA these days. We always have been. :driving:
Im not sure I agree. The local Socal chapter hasn't had a new post in 2 days. Colorado I think has you beat. Maybe Im missing something.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a pretty open ended question that has lots of right answers.
And that's why I asked it, to generate some conversation about something we all see...And I was drunk but that's besides the point. I guess I am just frustrated because I want to see more of the Toyota guys around here out wheeling but half the trucks are trail only trucks on tons or FJ cruisers that are scared to rub past a tree branch.

Fwiw I think Facebook has really hurt forum activity as well.

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
My truck is built. Now I just wheel it. I still wheel with the Socal chapter all the time. I'd venture to say we are one of the most active chapters on TTORA these days. We always have been. :driving:
Im not sure I agree. The local Socal chapter hasn't had a new post in 2 days. Colorado I think has you beat. Maybe Im missing something.
I think he's referring to our monthly outings. We're not web wheelers. Not saying you are either. Our forum activity pales in comparison to our activity out on the trails.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I think we had this talk at the last Socal TTORA event. New owners want to post things and have people say "That's so cool!" or "That looks sick!" but we don't do that here. After converting my truck I attended my first TTORA 4x4 event. I love the fact that no one really asked about it. It was like "Oh your truck is 4wd and manual? Cool lets go wheel"

TW is popular because of this.. everyone has a mod for everything that they have to post about. LED cup holder mod.. Or headlight mod... grill mod? etc etc.. With this new generation they want more "likes" or "Views".

I think some of us said that we shouldn't try to recruit new owners. New owners would find us if they want an off-road club.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i still am rocking the ifs and 33s on my tacoma and still have fun with it. I see where you are coming from as I have noticed a difference since when I joined here in 05 or 06 and then now. Not near as active now. For me personally, i had just graduated HS when i joined TTORA. I was able to wheel pretty consistently up until I graduated from college. Now that i am married, have a full time job, and a house to dump money into, i have a hard time funding the trips as well as finding time to go on a trip. Plus, after moving from ATL to Ciny, there arent as many offroad parks up here as there was in the southeast...

I have wheeled twice in the past 2 years which is terrible. Both of the times it was for SETO on labor day weekend.

clund, not sure if you have seen it, but there is a SETO labor day weekend that you should come to. I have been going every year since 06 and it is a blast. I live just south of Cincinnati so I am not too far from you.

details here:

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204801

1 - 20 of 47 Posts