TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I priced out the toytec OME 2.5" shackle kit with everything (new front rear OME shocks, brake line diff drop) and its running close to 800.00 w/o shipping. I was also looking at the fabtech basic coilover kit, which can be purchased for approx the same amount. What would be a better lift? I am mostly on road with some mild trails, possibly some more offroad this year. But what will I have a better ride with? what will last longer? coil overs are a little better because they save the stock components and can be sold later, plus easier install.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Ive heard good things about Toytecs kits, I got my Alcan aal, bilstien shocks, extended brake line and bpv bracket from them, and front OME springs and shocks from another source, all for about $600 . For $800 you might be able to find a full OME package with new leafs. I dont have any experiance with the Fabtech stuff but I dont think the basic coiloves are worth that and the rear setup that it comes with is probably crap.

Maybe someone who knows more will post up.

·
Registered
587 Posts
From wheelers you can get

SAW 2.0 coilovers+rear bilstein 5100+wheelers AAL can be had for under $900 and all you have to pay shipping for is the AAL.

This is the route i would go if I were you.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If i were you i would probably try to find an OME full kit as suggested above. I have never had the OME kit on my truck but I have coilovers and depending on what your definition of a good ride is, you may not like them. They are a little more harsh then stock on some stuff but when they soak up that bump that would have crumpled the stock suff it makes it all worth it. I would personally stay away from the fabtech basic kit. it's pretty cheasy and not good quality for your money. OME is a proven set-up and seems reliable with only some sagging issues in the front but you can get firm of soft valved shocks to suit your driving style /desired ride characteristics which is a big plus.

-AJ

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
which one will ride as good if not better than stock on road? Ohio roads are crap and I dont want to be jarred around in the cab. Looking for something that will soak up bumps at high speed on road and give me 2.5-3" lift

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Look at customer service. Toytec is much better than Fabtech, and not to mention, Toytec is a supporter of this forum.

Fabtech's ride like Poo. I test drove two when looking for my new truck, and they rode like shit compared to my Prerunner (which had a 3" Toytec/OME kit)

As suggested, for the money, you can get the SAW's, then if you wanted to, purchase the shackles and shocks seperately from Toytec...

Toytec also carries different models of Bilstiens. I got my 5150's form them. Talk to Doug.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I guess i'm special, but i have had great success with fabtech stuff. I had a kit on an older f150, and beat the hell out of it. No problems. Then, a few friends of mine have older tacomas with fabtech dirt logics and they love them. I rode in a friends truck who has fabtech coils and rear AAL's and it wasnt bad at all.

this is a hard question, because so many of us have different opinions on what a "good ride" is.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
NorcalPR said:
Look at customer service. Toytec is much better than Fabtech, and not to mention, Toytec is a supporter of this forum.
Once again, i haven't experienced it, but i have heard fabtech tect support is shit.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will the Toytec OME 2.5" lift with shackles ride better/smoother (on road) than a stock TRD? What shocks will ride better the OME or the Bilstein?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
TuRD03
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing