TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search and have not been able to find anything conclusive. Are the TRD coils firmer? Is one progressive or are they both progressive? Does one make you sit higher? Which is better for a street truck that I want to ride smooth as hell on even small stuff?
The reason I ask is because I have an SR5 truck and I have some TRD shocks and springs in my garage from my old truck and I was wondering which coils I should use with my new 5100s on the stock height setting to achieve a smooth as hell ride.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The TRD's are progressive...they're firmer than the regular ones, but still too soft IMO.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The TRD are progressive, the others aren't.

This is on 04 and lower, I don't know about the 05+.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Good question. My 03 is SR5 with TRD running gear. Have wonder this, but never gave it to much thought. Just ordered an ARB front bumper (from Shannon at TOP) today. Wonder how long before I have to replace front suspension?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
gsmsnuffy said:
Good question. My 03 is SR5 with TRD running gear. Have wonder this, but never gave it to much thought. Just ordered an ARB front bumper (from Shannon at TOP) today. Wonder how long before I have to replace front suspension?
a week later

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Thanks. Now I feel better :confused: ?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
gsmsnuffy said:
Thanks. Now I feel better :confused: ?
OE springs/shocks can't handle the extra weight...even OME's 500# coils can't. My old OMEs lasted 2wks after winch/bumper install...that's why I gave your OE springs a week ;)

if you want a winch bumper you must also swap out the coilovers with one of the top brand adjustables...Donahoe, King, Camburg or Sway Away. Best price will be the 2.0 SAWs with 675# 15" coils.
contact Demello for a good deal on them ;)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Just messing with you. Know I have to start the swap out/ upgrades sometime soon.
Was looking at OME 882's for the front, Now you got me thinking about SAW's. If i'm going to do this right might as well do it right the first time?

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
gsmsnuffy said:
Just messing with you. Know I have to start the swap out/ upgrades sometime soon.
Was looking at OME 882's for the front, Now you got me thinking about SAW's. If i'm going to do this right might as well do it right the first time?
Bingo. Costs a lot to do it right, but worth it in the long run.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
gsmsnuffy said:
OME's cannot handle the weight despite the advertizements you see.

650# coils seem to be the minimum for a winch bumper

all the current 2.5" (up to '04 model Taco) adjustables from the major mfgs are 650#. Sway Away (SAWs) still makes their 2.0 in a 675# whicih is what I ran for years...perfect for the weight I had.

yes, you can crank them down for very little lift and get a very nice ride. I ran mine at about 2-2.5" of lift.

for something to match in the rear I's suggest some Bilsteins in the 170/60 valving rather than the usual 255/70 for a much better ride that will still handle weight when you load up the bed. but, if you haul/tow on a regular basis you might want to stick with the 255s and live with the stiff ride when empty. my 170/60 5150s handled full loads of firewood with no problems at all.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Tx's a bunch. You just answered other questions I had.

·
Registered
407 Posts
hytenor said:
OE springs/shocks can't handle the extra weight...even OME's 500# coils can't. My old OMEs lasted 2wks after winch/bumper install...that's why I gave your OE springs a week ;)

if you want a winch bumper you must also swap out the coilovers with one of the top brand adjustables...Donahoe, King, Camburg or Sway Away. Best price will be the 2.0 SAWs with 675# 15" coils.
contact Demello for a good deal on them ;)
After 900 miles, even with the OME886/N140S combo, my truck's front has settled in and is feeling the weight of the ARB/winch. No crazy handling, diving or anything like that....rides nice still, but just feels a little soft up front and on the verge of understeer in curves at speed. I think it would have been super with just the ARB but the added winch weight pretty much maxed the shocks and springs out.

My bad....attention lapse when searching and listening to info.... and I'm looking for a deal on SAWs. :eek:

Note that this is just a personal preference ride assessment and others might not be finicky or critical. Truck handles just fine....just not as fine and stiff as I'd like it to.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
n9emz said:
After 900 miles, even with the OME886/N140S combo, my truck's front has settled in and is feeling the weight of the ARB/winch. No crazy handling, diving or anything like that....rides nice still, but just feels a little soft up front and on the verge of understeer in curves at speed. I think it would have been super with just the ARB but the added winch weight pretty much maxed the shocks and springs out.

My bad....attention lapse when searching and listening to info.... and I'm looking for a deal on SAWs. :eek:

Note that this is just a personal preference ride assessment and others might not be finicky or critical. Truck handles just fine....just not as fine and stiff as I'd like it to.

wow, I'm really surprised at that. Those 886s are 650s, I believe, so I guess you'll need at least 700s and possibly 800s to really make it work. Aren't the new SAWs for '05s 700s? I ran 675s and they were perfect for the 300# of winch/bumper and armor that I have.

·
Registered
407 Posts
hytenor said:
wow, I'm really surprised at that. Those 886s are 650s, I believe, so I guess you'll need at least 700s and possibly 800s to really make it work. Aren't the new SAWs for '05s 700s? I ran 675s and they were perfect for the 300# of winch/bumper and armor that I have.
Maybe I expected too much. I expected the 886/N140S combo to give me basically the same ride with the ARB & winch that I had with the stock suspension with stock bumper and no winch. Not even close. The ride/handling aren't bad by any means, and the truck doesn't wallow around or anything....the truck just no longer has that feeling of reserve spring energy that it had stock. I checked a bunch of sites and didn't see the ARB weight listed, but my winch is advertised at 80 lbs.

Tomorrow night Joe's bringing in his new, stock '07 TRD O/R and I'm going to measure ride height on both trucks at the upper center of the wheelhouses for comparison. Wednesday it goes to Bloomington Tire and Wheel Center for alignment check/rebalancing and, while the wheels are off I'm gonna look for spring/shock numbers as well as take some flix for ID purposes.

Just curious as to whether or not there was some kind of parts mistake. If not, no biggie....I can pick up 2.0 SAWs and try that. In the meantime, I definitely can't say this truck sux as is. I may just be too critical or nitpicky.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
n9emz said:
Maybe I expected too much. I expected the 886/N140S combo to give me basically the same ride with the ARB & winch that I had with the stock suspension with stock bumper and no winch. Not even close. The ride/handling aren't bad by any means, and the truck doesn't wallow around or anything....the truck just no longer has that feeling of reserve spring energy that it had stock. I checked a bunch of sites and didn't see the ARB weight listed, but my winch is advertised at 80 lbs.

Tomorrow night Joe's bringing in his new, stock '07 TRD O/R and I'm going to measure ride height on both trucks at the upper center of the wheelhouses for comparison. Wednesday it goes to Bloomington Tire and Wheel Center for alignment check/rebalancing and, while the wheels are off I'm gonna look for spring/shock numbers as well as take some flix for ID purposes.

Just curious as to whether or not there was some kind of parts mistake. If not, no biggie....I can pick up 2.0 SAWs and try that. In the meantime, I definitely can't say this truck sux as is. I may just be too critical or nitpicky.
\

LOL, yea, you expected way too much ;) There is no way that any type of aftermarket suspension, especially after adding 200# of weight to the nose of the truck designed to handle about 1/10th that much, will make things 'stock' :rolleyes:

the ARB bumpers are just about 100# with all the mounting hardware, etc. winches run (Warn) from around 78-92# according to their site (I believe that is just for the winch, not the cable/roller). Replacing the cable and rollers with synthetic line and aluminim fairlead will drop about 45# off the weight total.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Doh....it's idiot noobs like me that bring the suck. 4 fawken lbs of air in the front tires and it's a different truck. All parts are correct (like to never got that little white tag off a coil) but they didn't install or give me the trim packers I paid for. Gots Joe's '07 DC shortbed TRD O/R, gots tape measure; and, soon as things lighten up at work we're going to compare ride height measurements.

Yeah, it's a little short on lateral stability compared to stock. Joe drove mine around the property tonight and said, "Damn, the front end feels heavy." Instead of using my company ride, I ripped around this place half the night and this thing is loads of fun.

Apologize for my fawkup and thanks for the time, info and consideration. Flix to follow when I get home in the morning. :D

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
n9emz said:
Doh....it's idiot noobs like me that bring the suck. 4 fawken lbs of air in the front tires and it's a different truck. All parts are correct (like to never got that little white tag off a coil) but they didn't install or give me the trim packers I paid for. Gots Joe's '07 DC shortbed TRD O/R, gots tape measure; and, soon as things lighten up at work we're going to compare ride height measurements.

Yeah, it's a little short on lateral stability compared to stock. Joe drove mine around the property tonight and said, "Damn, the front end feels heavy." Instead of using my company ride, I ripped around this place half the night and this thing is loads of fun.

Apologize for my fawkup and thanks for the time, info and consideration. Flix to follow when I get home in the morning. :D
I went from 28 to 35# up front...stock bumper to 300# of winch/bumper and armor ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
As always, my friend....good idea.

Taking into consideration my sliders, I went ahead and pumped the fronts up to 35 lbs. Man, it's harsh but corners like a brick. So, my conclusion is the OME system does the job perfectly and sidewall flex is my issue....resolved. I left the tunnel door open today and there'll be a nice layer of clay dust on the floor for a footprint check tonight.

As for the OME system yield, measurements were taken from floor to wheelhouse outer edge at axle centerline. Did some averaging side-to-side but differences were negligible. This was as level a playing field as I could come up with:

BTW....Joe's '07 has 900 miles on the clock; I have just over 1000 miles on the lift system and 18.6K total. Though I didn't put it to the tape, wheelbase appears identical or rchst close.

Gross lift front/rear: 2.575"/3.562" Take away the gain of the 265/75/16 T/A KMs and the OME system gave me an honest 2"/3" lift yield.

For anyone who wants to nitpick it, here's the link to all the photos: Stock '07 DC TRD O/R vs. OME886/Dakar '05 AC TRD O/R w/ARB

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....I thank you for your continuing tolerance and support.[/HIJACK]

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
n9emz said:
As always, my friend....good idea.

Taking into consideration my sliders, I went ahead and pumped the fronts up to 35 lbs. Man, it's harsh but corners like a brick. So, my conclusion is the OME system does the job perfectly and sidewall flex is my issue....resolved. I left the tunnel door open today and there'll be a nice layer of clay dust on the floor for a footprint check tonight.

As for the OME system yield, measurements were taken from floor to wheelhouse outer edge at axle centerline. Did some averaging side-to-side but differences were negligible. This was as level a playing field as I could come up with:

BTW....Joe's '07 has 900 miles on the clock; I have just over 1000 miles on the lift system and 18.6K total. Though I didn't put it to the tape, wheelbase appears identical or rchst close.

Gross lift front/rear: 2.575"/3.562" Take away the gain of the 265/75/16 T/A KMs and the OME system gave me an honest 2"/3" lift yield.

For anyone who wants to nitpick it, here's the link to all the photos: Stock '07 DC TRD O/R vs. OME886/Dakar '05 AC TRD O/R w/ARB

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....I thank you for your continuing tolerance and support.[/HIJACK]
good that you have a record of before/after on the measurements ;)
now, keep track of how much the system settles over time....and it will...the question is how much for the new Tacos. The old OME coils tend to drop at least .5" and sometimes a full inch depending on added weight and driving habits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts