TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 TRD 4x4 with the locking rear diff. Would the grey wire mod do me any good? What are the advantages, any disadvantages? I have the links for the how, but not the why.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Peanut Butter said:
I have an 04 TRD 4x4 with the locking rear diff. Would the grey wire mod do me any good? What are the advantages, any disadvantages? I have the links for the how, but not the why.
The "why" is about 5 posts below yours.... here

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My owner's manual (yes, i actually read it!) says that I can damage stuff by driving over 5mph with the diff. locked. If I'm in 4hi, doing 25mph or whatever in snow or mud, doesn't this cause problems?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Stupid operation can cause damage to your rear diff with or without the grey wire mod, it's easier to damage with the locker engaged, thats why this mod isnt for everyone. With sensible driving, a good knowledge of when and when not to hop on the skinny pedal, this mod has many benefits.
I use my locker in 2 wheel drive most times I launch my boat, I also use my locker on dirt roads and trails that dont quite warrant 4wheel drive. It offers more selection/use of the trucks gearing other than just 4Low. If you dont understand why this mod makes sense it obviously isnt for you. Not sure how much you wheel youre truck, but I suspect it isnt alot, get out and wheel and you'll figure out why this works so well for the people who do wheel.

Tim

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Peanut Butter said:
My owner's manual (yes, i actually read it!) says that I can damage stuff by driving over 5mph with the diff. locked. If I'm in 4hi, doing 25mph or whatever in snow or mud, doesn't this cause problems?
Toyota states that in the manual, because it covers their ass legally. Driving locked at higher speeds in snow/ice can be dangerous, as your truck may want to spin (not tire spin, truck spin). If you crash, you could "damage stuff." Driving locked on the street, you'll risk damage to your rear end (gears etc.) whenever you're turning because of the difference in speed between the two rear tires, and it'll eat up your tires quickly.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truth be told, I drive more off road than i probably should with a stock truck. I have very little mechanical experience, and have only had this truck since May. I drive a lot of trails, a little snow, mud, and slow technical rocks. I usually drive alone, since I am just networking with local clubs. I don't know about locking rear diffs since I've never had them, or anyone explain them. I don't plan on locking anything on the road, but only have locked the diff on really steep climbs, technical rock sections, and always under 5 mph. Is that wrong?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Peanut Butter said:
Truth be told, I drive more off road than i probably should with a stock truck. I have very little mechanical experience, and have only had this truck since May. I drive a lot of trails, a little snow, mud, and slow technical rocks. I usually drive alone, since I am just networking with local clubs. I don't know about locking rear diffs since I've never had them, or anyone explain them. I don't plan on locking anything on the road, but only have locked the diff on really steep climbs, technical rock sections, and always under 5 mph. Is that wrong?
You don't have to keep it under 5 mph, even in its stock configuration (like you have it now). The grey wire mod will allow to you lock the rear even in 2WD or 4-Hi (whereas right now you can only use it in 4-Lo), which can have its benefits. Check this out to learn more about lockers and such.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a bad forum, ;) Thanks for the info and links.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Peanut Butter said:
You said yourself that you have very little mechanical experience, and that you drive a lot of trails, and you usually do that alone. I am not trying to attack you here, but I do want to let you know that even though your truck is an 04, things can break and you can get stuck, it is definitely not a good idea to go alone, definitely find a local club or some others to wheel with. I am sure there are people on this forum in your area. :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're right, and I am trying to network, but most clubs here are "scenic" clubs that ride level one or two (last outing we had one of those Mercedes mid-size SUV's) or the guys have 10" lift and 38's. I have trouble finding a middle ground for an entry level wheeler. Although I do appreciate your concern!! :) I've gone out with groups 2x the last 2 weeks. Thanks!

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Peanut Butter said:
You're right, and I am trying to network, but most clubs here are "scenic" clubs that ride level one or two (last outing we had one of those Mercedes mid-size SUV's) or the guys have 10" lift and 38's. I have trouble finding a middle ground for an entry level wheeler. Although I do appreciate your concern!! :) I've gone out with groups 2x the last 2 weeks. Thanks!
If you don't post on there already, here's the link to the Nevada TTORA forum. I'm sure you could find at least a few "middle ground" people there.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/nevadattora/start

1 - 13 of 13 Posts