TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what the spring diameter is on the front coil springs. I know the Taco PreRunner sport is .649 and the v6 trd is .690 but what is the fj, im curious. Can anyone with a micrometer take a measurement and let me know??? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry man! It's raining outside. I'll try to find out for ya when I get a chance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I am curious. I think the FJ front end sits about the same as the Taco but I know theres a bit more weight on there. So was curious for a cheap lift.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still no one????

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HA! Well they cant give me anything anyways. For the most part, parts guys are idiots. If its not in the computer it or they cant find it, its just not available or never been made.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not a expert on this subject, but this is what I learned.

I called over to RSM Toyota and talked to Mike Horner, (5X Baja 1000 champion, General Tire Toyota Tundra-class 8 truck.) he didn't know but "thought" that the same equipment is used on the TRD and FJC. I then looked on line and found nothing in the way of spring Dia. measurements. However, I did learn that springs are rated in "ft.lb/inc" Example: OME 885 springs are 590ft.lb./inc, and the 886 are 660 ft.lb./inc. Just depends on the application.
I'm going with a Camburg suspension, so I called them, and they didn't know the stock FJ rating. But I learned that Camburg springs are wound completely different then Toyota's, OME or ICON's, and have their own ft.lb/inc ratings. Makes sense to me. (That is why spacers are not the way to go for lifts.)

I know this story didn't answer your question. Got my mind off work for awhile! What was your question?

:rolleyes: :2cents:

·
Registered
162 Posts
your talking about the spring constant. he wants to know the actual diameter of the coil, from what i understand.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not a expert on this subject, but this is what I learned.

I called over to RSM Toyota and talked to Mike Horner, (5X Baja 1000 champion, General Tire Toyota Tundra-class 8 truck.) he didn't know but "thought" that the same equipment is used on the TRD and FJC. I then looked on line and found nothing in the way of spring Dia. measurements. However, I did learn that springs are rated in "ft.lb/inc" Example: OME 885 springs are 590ft.lb./inc, and the 886 are 660 ft.lb./inc. Just depends on the application.
I'm going with a Camburg suspension, so I called them, and they didn't know the stock FJ rating. But I learned that Camburg springs are wound completely different then Toyota's, OME or ICON's, and have their own ft.lb/inc ratings. Makes sense to me. (That is why spacers are not the way to go for lifts.)

I know this story didn't answer your question. Got my mind off work for awhile! What was your question?

:rolleyes: :2cents:
Ummm.....ok? WTF was that?:lmao: Is there anyone in or near Ontario who has an FJ cruiser who will meet me so I can use my mic to take a measurement myself??????

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
have you called Downey and asked for 'the boss'? He is perhaps the only true source of spring rates for Tacomas and Runners (cuz they actually had their spring mfg take all the measurements before coming out with their Taco kits...way back when...). They may or may not have anything but its worth a shot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Although spring rates might be an idea to get to compare with stock Taco rates but Im looking for the FJC spring diameter. I just want to know what it mics out to.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dude since you've been trying to get an answer for this for like 2 months, why dont you get a mic, and just stroll into the the toyota dealership and get the numbers yourself?

Seeing as the rest of us are pretty much useless!:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ummm.....ok? WTF was that?:lmao: Is there anyone in or near Ontario who has an FJ cruiser who will meet me so I can use my mic to take a measurement myself??????
Even though you gave me a WTF and a :lmao:, I went ahead a took a measurement with a very good micrometer, for YOU. It is .628

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Pathfinder. I pm'd you. Please let me know if its a TRD model. Its weird that the V6 TRD Taco has a spring dia of .689 and the 4cyl Taco prerunner is .679. kinda interesting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Pathfinder. I pm'd you. Please let me know if its a TRD model. Its weird that the V6 TRD Taco has a spring dia of .689 and the 4cyl Taco prerunner is .679. kinda interesting.
Ok, done. Surprised me a little bit too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks Pathfinder. I pm'd you. Please let me know if its a TRD model.
Are you referring to the FJ? The only TRD labeled FJ was the special edition, and it only had the factory 4X4 trd shocks with the same 4x4 off road package springs.

So there is basically three different sets of coilover struts from the factory:

4x2
4x4
and 4x4 off road

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I suppose the its the TRD or the offroad. I was curious.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts