TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to weld up some protection for the rear end, but what the hell is this?

It's attached to this on the driver's side frame rail...

It's got something to do with the brakes, just don't know what. Does the angle that it's mounted matter? I've got to transfer the mounting brackets for the hard lines from my housing to the diff cover and don't know if I need to take an angle or not.

BTW, this is on a 98 trd.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That be your proportioning valve. It varies the amount of braking going to your rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Omg!

Well don't lower the brake arm. It's not the positioning unit but it's the BPV arm. All you need to do is raise it the same amount that you lift your rear. Just use a simple 1inch x 1/4" bar (galvinized or zinc coated) and heighten the lever. This just fools your rear brakes into working correctly after lifting.

I'm a little worried about the holes around the bottom of the diff. Did you do that?
OK, I looked again and you'll be fine as long as you raise your bracket after lifting. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You know, you could probably cut that arm and fab up a little adjustment bracket at the top. It might take a little tuning, but it would free up that space on the axle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sheesh, you have no rust at all...when I did my lift every single stupid bolt would break due to rust.
Anyway,
You could just get a longer Eye Bolt...That's what I did because it broke due to rust but the new longer eye bolt works well...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dick: :flipoff4:

bray: I don't need to raise or lower it at all, I'm just cutting the bracket off of the housing and re-mounting it on my diff cover.

Ryan: Thank god you finally changed your fucking avatar, and that's a good idea. However, I still haul stuff with the toy occasionally and I'd like to keep the LSPV in working order. I'm sure I could make something to adjust it when I'm hauling, but I don't know if it's worth that. But, as it sits now, with my springs almost inverted at ride height, the LSPV seems to be as far vertical as it can go, so making some kind of adjustment might be worthwhile to readjust everything.

breadbox: That's why I don't live in the NE. Well, that, and the people...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ryan: Thank god you finally changed your fucking avatar, and that's a good idea. However, I still haul stuff with the toy occasionally and I'd like to keep the LSPV in working order. I'm sure I could make something to adjust it when I'm hauling, but I don't know if it's worth that. But, as it sits now, with my springs almost inverted at ride height, the LSPV seems to be as far vertical as it can go, so making some kind of adjustment might be worthwhile to readjust everything.
lmao @ the avatar. It was a temp till I found something that suited me better :D

I hear ya on the hauling.. From in the first pic, raise it to the approximate amount you've lifted the truck, then attach it at that height after you do your work on the axle. That should work fine and bring your BPV back to near stock pressure on the drums.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
You may want to put it back in it's original position at least. Right now it's missing a bolt and sitting cockeyed.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Trucks not lifted, just adding some armor. I'll probably post up a thread about it tomorrow in the fab section.
Ah gotcha. I'll keep an eye out. Wasn't sure if it was lifted or not so I thought I'd toss it in with the rest :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
old post, i know, but i thought it'd be better to post here than start a new thread. when i bought my truck, it had no LSPV stuff on the rear axle. there is nothing attached to that "bolt" sticking out of the rear diff, and the unit above the drivers side rear tire isnt attached to anything. is this something i should be worried about fixing?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts