TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having this sound in my dash. Sounds like a grinding noise almost. It gets faster and louder with speed. So I think it's something with the speedo cable. After about 5-10min of driving and the truck warms up, the noise is gone. It did it a couple times last winter but I forgot about it, and now it came back a few weeks ago. It doesn't happen at idle. Anyone else have this problem.
Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a similar problem. Has all the same symptoms like yours...happened last winter, just came back this winter, gets faster with speed, doesn't happen at idle, and goes away after warmed up. Only I would say mine sounds more like a knocking sound or something, definately not grinding. It sounds like the fan blades are hitting against something, but thats not what it is, just the sound it sounds like.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Can't be the speedo-cable..... Tacomas don't have cables, the speedometers are electronic and get their digital signal from the computer.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
aztaco1 said:
I'm having this sound in my dash. Sounds like a grinding noise almost. It gets faster and louder with speed. So I think it's something with the speedo cable. After about 5-10min of driving and the truck warms up, the noise is gone. It did it a couple times last winter but I forgot about it, and now it came back a few weeks ago. It doesn't happen at idle. Anyone else have this problem.
Thanks, Matt
Yup, its your speedo cable. Mine does the same thing, but mostly when its really cold outside. I haven't done anything about mine, but you can either buy a new cable from the dealer (about ~ $75) or remove the one you have, grease it real good and re-install it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
i second the grease it idea. mine has been acting up and bouncing a bit this winter so I'm about to do this. do you think i could just pull out the center piece and inject a bit of grease in there and then slide it back in? i really don't want to hassle with getting the entire thing back over my bell housing ya know.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i'll try to grease it. Do I need to get behind the dash.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
do you think i should pull it out then put it back in and pull it out then put it back in then pull it out and put it back in? i just want to get the rod completely covered in the lube so there isn't too much friction inside. ya know what i mean?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Don't stroke it too much. What you may want to do it put it in then pull it out and check it for grit.
Hummm, someone should be able to do something with that. It's a freebie. LOL

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh, my bad, I didn't see his signature and didn't know his truck was an older model. I know on later model Tacomas the speedo cable was replaced with an electronic sensor and no longer use cable driven speedometers. I discovered this when trying to correct my speedo when I re-geared and went to larger tires I had to install a signal interface so that I could recalibrate my speedometer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts