TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Veteran Newbie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 01 tacoma V6, I was just wondering what the best kind/brand of oil i should put it it? It has less that 50,000 on it and is just about time for the oil change. I would greatly apperciate any help you guys can give me.

Matt

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Mobil 1 5w30 in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Maddog096 said:
I just bought a 01 tacoma V6, I was just wondering what the best kind/brand of oil i should put it it? It has less that 50,000 on it and is just about time for the oil change. I would greatly apperciate any help you guys can give me.

Matt
There's almost as many opinions on oil as there are people (and a lot of people get worked-up about it too when someone disagrees with them).

However, you may be better off asking if anyone has had any experiences with bad brands. (I haven't).

·
Veteran Newbie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not2XS said:
There's almost as many opinions on oil as there are people (and a lot of people get worked-up about it too when someone disagrees with them).

However, you may be better off asking if anyone has had any experiences with bad brands. (I haven't).

sounds good. Has anyone had any bad experiences with a brand?

should i get a full sinthetic or mix?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hear that Pennzoil has a tendency to get gummy. Not from personal experience, though. I've also heard from a mechanic friend that he poured one quart of Castrol, and the next quart was a noticeably different color.

That is pretty much what I can contribute. :)

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Maddog096 said:

Matt
Im currently running redline 5w-30 and soon ill be switching to amsoil 0w-30 for those nice once a year oil changes.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Maddog096 said:

Matt
You wanna really talk oil go to : Bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
i run amosil series 2000 0w30
since i am supercharged, my engine is harder on oil than a naturaly aspirated engine
i run the amsoil sdf-34 filter for 7500 miles, then change it out with a new one
at 15000 miles i change the oil and filter

·
Registered
203 Posts
Maddog096 said:

Matt
Mobil 1 5W-30.

·
Registered
203 Posts
22RToy said:
I hear that Pennzoil has a tendency to get gummy. Not from personal experience, though. I've also heard from a mechanic friend that he poured one quart of Castrol, and the next quart was a noticeably different color.

I ran Pennzoil 10W-30 in my 89 Chevy Z24(2.8L V6) for 12yrs and 152,000 miles and never had any gummy residue. Of course, I changed my oil every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 in my 95.5 2.7 taco right now. I just put it in about 1000 miles ago. I used to run Valvoline dino 5W-30. I am planning on trying to go 6000-7000 miles on the Mobil 1.

as for bad things I have heard about oil: Pennzoil dont use because it gets gummy. Now I have never seen it for myself just something I heard.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Maddog096 said:

Matt

It really depends on you. The tolerance you have for longer intervals between oil changes,
Do you like changing you oil?
You environment, does it get extremely cold where you live?
What makes you feel good?

Personaly I don't think any modern SL Or SM motor oil of the proper viscostiy is going to be an issue with reasonable OCI's.
I am a hardcore Dino camper becasue I like the oppurtunity to change my oil. I am currently running Motor craft 5 w30 with a product known as Lube control that helps control oxidation,maintain viscosity and suspend insolubles(at least that's what I have been lead to believe :cool: )

I am also thinking of running some Delo 400 in 10 w 30.

Chevron, penzoil, and Conoco Phillps all make great motor oils.. heck even Walmart Supertech seems to do OK.

Synthetics are practical IMO for the following situations.
You live in a very cold place and need the cold flow characteristics of a PAO or esther based synthetic
You live in an aprtment or otherwise can't change your own oil and the extended oil change intervals would be more economical with an expensive synthetic vs less expensive dino oils and the extra labor you will pay for more frequent oil changes.
Or it just makes you feel like you are doing something special for your engine and you can afford it. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the Taco.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
22RToy said:

Hearsay is not sound advice.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well for over 15 years I have used valvoline. Of course now I run synthetic. My current daily driver (Ford ranger, Please don't throw any rocks) has over 200k on the 4.0 motor with no issues. It has been run hard it's whole life lots of towing, Highway travel, long distance, and now unfortunatly for the last year, lots of city. Of course I service the entire truck religiously but I feel that the oil is a the key.

1 vote valvoline syntec

·
Registered
53 Posts
I always get a kick out of reading these "What's the best oil for my_____ ?" threads..

You watch all those TV shows were you see these Toyota pickups running around in Godknowswhereistan, and it make you wonder.. Do these people who you see driving Toyota Hilux's, Land Cruiser's (pickups and SUVs), or Nissan Patrols ever worry about what kind of oil to run in their engines..

"Hey, Kabib! When should I change the oil in the Toyota?"

"Don't worry 'bout it, Shamir! You should get 200,000 kilometers out of the stock dino juice in that thing.."

:D

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Schuey2002 said:
I always get a kick out of reading these "What's the best oil for my_____ ?" threads..

You watch all those TV shows were you see these Toyota pickups running around in Godknowswhereistan, and it make you wonder.. Do these people who you see driving Toyota Hilux's, Land Cruiser's (pickups and SUVs), or Nissan Patrols ever worry about what kind of oil to run in their engines..

"Hey, Kabib! When should I change the oil in the Toyota?"

"Don't worry 'bout it, Shamir! You should get 200,000 kilometers out of the stock dino juice in that thing.."

:D

:lmao:

Seriously That's the truth, in other countries they just throw in whatever Heavy duty motor oil they can find. In oil companies they run universal heavy duty motor oils(15w40) in everything. Except in the arctic where we are running special synthetic Delo 0w 30.

Funny story, The past couple of weeks I have added 3 quarts of 15w40 top off oil at the fuel dock to the superduty diesel I use for work. This morning it was -36 and my block heater had failed. The truck is still in the shop from trying to start it :eek:

I cannot believe no one has mentioned GC 0w30(look it up at BITOG). Nothing is cooler than green oil even though I am not ready to drop 5 bucks a quart on it..waiting for a sale :D

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
NAPA full synthetic 5w30 (Valvoline) and NAPA Gold oil filters (Wix). Cheaper than most full synthetics and just as good -- repackaged Valvoline. I've used NAPA dino oil and now synth oil for years with excellent results.

My .02, good luck!!

Jody.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gc

Speaking of GC, I use it in my 98 V6. (Castrol Syntec 0-30, supposedly a Group-4 basestock)(see bobistheoilguy.com)
Anyway, I switched from GTX 5-30 dino, to M1 5-30(after a-rx), to GC 0-30. I find that the GC makes my engine happier; especially in lower and midrange. I use it 'cause it makes me feel as I'm doing something special for it, not to save money.

S

1 - 20 of 25 Posts