TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone like or dislike their current chop saw... im in the market...and im trying to get some more advice..... most i will cut with it will be 1/4" :saw:

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I think we use a Ridged? Has worked fine, bearings are a little noisy after a ton of use. We have cut 1" solid stock with it, just go slow. I want to get a carbide blade for it though, just a cleaner, cooler cut. The abrasive blades get expensive... Less to clean up is nice!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i just recently bought a dewalt chopsaw from sears. it was like 170, its the first chop saw i have owned and so far its been great, it does everything i need it to and hopefully it will last me a while

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I got a Milwaukee...loud, makes a mess, shoots sparks to the next acre, have to stay on top of it to get a straight cut...but it gets the job done. Then there is my JET band saw...now that is a cutting machine, no muss, no fuss, no noise, no mess...set it and forget it. Come back when it is cut and off.

:welder:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah, I just had my tubing bent for my front bumper build and all he used was the porta-band to cut. That thing worked like a charm. Little to no noise and hardly any "slag". Possibly my next tool upgrade. Right now I have the HF chop saw and to reiterate what Wabbit said, not only does it throw sparks to my neighbors house but the freakin' wine from those rpm's must drive them crazy (yes I do wear ear protection).

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
A real band saw isn't cheap...I have a JET 7x12...about $1100 shipped on sale.

I tried a porta band...but for what it and the table cost...I took it back and got the JET.

5 gallon bucket of coolant and blades at $20 each...it is worth every penny for the ease of cutting.

:welder:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
so how is that harbor freight saw? im going to pick one up in the morning... its on sale for $60 and a pack of 5 blades are $20

·
Registered
969 Posts
I had a Princess Auto (canada) chop saw special that melted in no time (with cooling between cuts ;) ) it actually caught fire, took it back and ditch the chop saw idea for a band saw. The band saw is much better! I can cut various angles and 4x6 solid stock with clean cuts. the noise factor is the huge. The chop saw was pissing my neighbor off that fiery afternoon, now I can cut steel in my basement without sonic devastation. Its a hell of a lot heavier than the chop saw but can be moved with 2 people. The blades are cheaper and last longer with the lube nossels in action. I'm glad the chop saw went up in smoke!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I second the band saw. Your going to pay 300 - 400 hundred for a high quality chop saw and carbide blades are pricey as well. Your better off to just double your money get a good grade band saw and be set. If you still want a chop saw ridgid all the way I work as a pipe fitter/plumber and thats all we use. We cut pipe all day long with out hassel.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
bandsaw, i use this one ever day
http://www.southern-tool.com/store/7060_bandsaw.html
and absolutly love it, i know not everyone had 7K to drop on a saw but i cut a lot of shit, i can tell a huge difference between this one and lets say a 1K model. But is only the speed of changing angles, accuracy of cuts and fine tuning. i hate a damn chop saw now and im glad my ol dewault burnt the hell up

·
Registered
583 Posts
I use a Milwaukee portable band saw. Cuts through steel like butter. I have a Milwaukee chop saw. It works great, but makes a mess and is not as fast as a band saw.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Portaband is nice, but I think it is too much of a pain in the ass to get real straight, consistent cuts with one. Fine for pipe work, but making parts and shit it gets annoying. I would just say whichever way you go, get something bench mounted. Period.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
jimbo74 said:
so how is that harbor freight saw? im going to pick one up in the morning... its on sale for $60 and a pack of 5 blades are $20

Mine works just fine. I have cut a lot of stuff, mostly 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 in thickness. Like a couple others mentioned, get good blades, harbor freight blades suck. Oh yeah, and maybe it's where you live, but I got mine on sale for $49.99 and then gave them the 20 % off coupon I got off pirate.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Heatstroke said:
Mine works just fine. I have cut a lot of stuff, mostly 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 in thickness. Like a couple others mentioned, get good blades, harbor freight blades suck. Oh yeah, and maybe it's where you live, but I got mine on sale for $49.99 and then gave them the 20 % off coupon I got off pirate.
It has cut 3/4" now! ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
It definately depends on the job at hand. I often use a combination of the chop saw, 4.5" grinder/cutting wheel, sawzall, and even metal files during the course of fabwork. Go with whatever makes the job at hand easier without sacrificing quality.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
At work we use a Makita. It's been in the shop and hasn't let us down for over 10 years. (At least!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts