·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
773 Posts
What motor do you have????

The 3.4 ignition is called TDI. It uses coilpacks and doesn't have a distibutor. I believe the 2.7 has a distributor, but don't trust me. Look it up.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,586 Posts
The older 2.7L engines have distributors, but from about 1998-up they converted the 2.7L to coilpacks like the 3.4L has.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you do manage to get a tach that will work it will eventually wear the coil pack out. I bought the sunpro and it never would read right so i took it back and learned the information above. I hooked it up to the ground on the coil pack is about the only other thing I could tell you. I've just started looking for a gauge cluster out of another 95-97 truck that has a tack already.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The older 2.7L engines have distributors, but from about 1998-up they converted the 2.7L to coilpacks like the 3.4L has.
I have the four banger, although the sticker reads my truck is a 1998. I guess i have coilpacks then. Need to take a closer look.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you do manage to get a tach that will work it will eventually wear the coil pack out. I bought the sunpro and it never would read right so i took it back and learned the information above. I hooked it up to the ground on the coil pack is about the only other thing I could tell you. I've just started looking for a gauge cluster out of another 95-97 truck that has a tack already.
Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. Too bad since i thought this could be an easy plug-'n-play thing.

Anybody else ran into similar issues after installing aftermarket tacks?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called summit racing. According to the tech guy, if i have the coil pack, then i would have to buy another adapter which is like $80 bucks on top of the tac.:eek:

Any ideas in how to install this without that expensive adapter?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also have the 2.7 im not sure about the adaper, but i would not use a sun pro tach, they suck. I had nothin but trouble when I had 1 on my 88 truck, I switched to a auto meter tach much better and it was like 80$

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also have the 2.7 im not sure about the adaper, but i would not use a sun pro tach, they suck. I had nothin but trouble when I had 1 on my 88 truck, I switched to a auto meter tach much better and it was like 80$
thanks for responding. How did you install it with coil packs? The same way described on post #4?

·
Registered
133 Posts
No, I haven't done it to my 2000 2.7L, I had the auto meter on my 88 22R Pickup, even the cheap auto-gage tach from auto meter is just better then the sunpro tach, my sun pro was junk, the needle always got stuck and bounced around..when I put the auto meter 1 on, much more accurate.

I would be safe and get the adapter. and give me the link so i can check it out...

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Just get the scan gauge- You can use it to trouble shoot OBD codes-
Its plug & play.
Once you change to the proper speedo gear- you'll also have a good trip meter

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Its plug & play.
X2.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its plug & play.
hey grillmaster:

do you think this thing as good as it claims? I'm kinda hesitant of this electronic products that claim to work miracles.

Sounds "too good" to be real.

Have you had experience with one?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I haven't done it to my 2000 2.7L, I had the auto meter on my 88 22R Pickup, even the cheap auto-gage tach from auto meter is just better then the sunpro tach, my sun pro was junk, the needle always got stuck and bounced around..when I put the auto meter 1 on, much more accurate.

I would be safe and get the adapter. and give me the link so i can check it out...
This is the link to the adapter:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSD-8913

This is a pic of what i have under the hood: (that's not real dirt....it's red dust from my trip to Gilmer!)

If i have to get the adapter, then buying the scangauge thing would make sense since the price of the tach and the adapter would be waaaay over a hundred dollars anyways.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
hey grillmaster:
do you think this thing as good as it claims? I'm kinda hesitant of this electronic products that claim to work miracles.
Sounds "too good" to be real.
Have you had experience with one?

I have this item which requires a laptop-
http://obddiagnostics.com/
http://obddiagnostics.com/ScrnShot/Winscreen.html

There is no miracle to work-
It doesn't do anything except display what's coming from the OBD port - onboard diagnostics.

If you want to install a tach- I'd go with the scan gauge since it has a display for all of the OBDII read outs, calculates mpg as a trip meter, AND can be used to read & clear CE lights.
That alone can justify the price-
Also the display unit is removeable for storage or to use in another vehicle.

Just realize that your speedo will still be off unless you change the speedo gear or go with the dakota unit.
So the scan gauge will not fix the speedo error-

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Speedometer_error

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have this item which requires a laptop-
http://obddiagnostics.com/
http://obddiagnostics.com/ScrnShot/Winscreen.html

There is no miracle to work-
It doesn't do anything except display what's coming from the OBD port - onboard diagnostics.

If you want to install a tach- I'd go with the scan gauge since it has a display for all of the OBDII read outs, calculates mpg as a trip meter, AND can be used to read & clear CE lights.
That alone can justify the price-
Also the display unit is removeable for storage or to use in another vehicle.

Just realize that your speedo will still be off unless you change the speedo gear or go with the dakota unit.
So the scan gauge will not fix the speedo error-

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Speedometer_error

got it. Now i understand better what you meant.

I think I'm going with this combo. Installing an afermarket tach plus the adapter would be just as expensive.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.