TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, OK, you're gonna say read the posts, but here goes.... I'm new to the forum and I did do some research, I'm still undecided. I have an '06 Taco double cab and like probably the rest of you, I hit 20K and my BFGs are shot! I figure if I'm gonna lift it, I better do so before I get new skins.

I use my truck for work and I drive 30-40K per year. I do very little off roading, although I do get a little bit of real easy stuff now and then. I don't want to be bounced out of my truck, I don't want my tires to wear out every other month, I don't want any vibrations, I don't want my steering to be dangerous, I don't want to snap a U joint every summer, I just want it to look good. Basically what I want is my truck now only higher, still have some of my money, and get rid of this friggin bottoming out!

I have found from forum to forum, everyone has their favorites. Based on my description of use, what would your opinion be for the cheapest/best lift for me to get 3 inches? Like I said, this is for looks and still be safe. If I thought that I could put on some ToyTec front spacers or a new front coil and an AAL that would be just fine if it was drivable for my 30-40K/year. I'm sure there are lots of opinions out there, lets hear them...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
From what you described I would suggest OME or Toytec. You probably dont need high dollar coilovers. Thats my :2cents:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would agree. A toytec or OME would be great for you. I use OME Dakar in the back of my 06 D Cab and I love them. enough lift and a beter ride than stock and enough room for 285/70/17's. I have Donahoe's up front, but OME would work. I'm not much for the spacer type lift. I found it to be a stiff ride. I use a ARB bumper and winch and like the adjustablity and ride of the Donahoe coilover. The ride kicks ass too. good luck.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
x2 06lvtaco. OME on a budget, but stick with 2.5 inches of lift. You will still have DS vibe issues in the back, but it can be fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the reason for staying with 2.5", less problems?

I assume that the lift that you are talking about is new OME coils up front and and AALs in the back.

What is the solution for fixing the vibration, angle shims?

Like I said, I want it lo look good, but if it's going to be problems then forget it. I also assume that the lift has to come off any time it goes to the dealer?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
2.5 lift still leaves you with some front suspension droop and isn't as hard on the front CV's. Your front axles rotate all the time when the truck is rolling, so you get more wear and tear at 3.0 lift. Plus 3.0 lift is a bit harsh riding. I don't think an AAL is the hot ticket, it gives too much lift to the rear of the truck. I'm gonna get flamed for this...but for what you are doing, a 1.0 block in the back will level the truck with the 2.5 in the front. You will be surprized how good the truck looks with 33's and this amount of lift. As for the dealership/warranty issues: go meet the service mgr at your dealership, bring him a bottle of his favorite hooch and talk to him. Sell him on the fact that you are just doing a leveling kit and see what he says. I have had my truck serviced with the lift and have not had issues. Vibe issue can be fixed as long as you don't have the DC LB. The fix is shims and one piece DS, or carrier Bearing drop kit. The drop kit will still leave you with a little bit of vibe, but is cheaper in the short run. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
hotrod53 said:
What is the reason for staying with 2.5", less problems?

Above 2.5" and you'll start having increased CV axle wear and usually a worse ride (at least that's what I've read about coilovers sitting at 3" compared to 2.5".)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Yeah a full 3" lift will ride like butt. When my CO's were at 2" it was so smooth and then I went to 3" and ............ :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
All I want to do is add a stinkin' ARB bumper and lift the trucks front end about 2" to level it off with the new bumper. I feel your pain on the lift kit.

Everything I read here tells me it's not worth it. I forgot that Toyota likes to spin their CV's as long as the truck is rolling in gear. Stupid in my opinion and that's why you get the vibe and wear.

I might as well keep mine stock which really just ticks me off. The truck is not useless without the winch/bumper, it's just not what I want. Why buy a new truck if you can't get what you want right? I had a truck with all of this and now I don't which is why I'm upset about it.

Yeah, I'm whining like a little girl I know. I'm just mad because all I've ever heard and seen is how much aftermarket support there was for Toyota. Now that I'm here, I'm stuck at stock setup which is not much higher than a 2wd pickup.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I hope you didnt buy a brand new truck expecting there to be 10,000 different options for it. Be a little more patient. I bought an 06 and im still waiting for everything I need. Well....'want' I should say. You have to think. 05 was the first year for this style. When the Minis came out they didnt have a million different mods for it. They are developed over time. Shit! they are still making parts for the 04's! So expect in the next few years to have everything you need. Like I said. Patience!

On-Topic: I have heard great things about toytec. Do it up! And remember. You have a Tacoma...you WONT be dissapointed. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
I've been using the Rev-tec lift 2.5 kits , the rear springs on the newer taco's tend to make a lot of noise when you aal. running 285-75-16's with no mud flaps. it will rub on full turns a bit when off roading, but not dd.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would vote for the OME also.

heeltoe989 said:
I use OME Dakar in the back of my 06 D Cab and I love them. enough lift and a beter ride than stock and enough room for 285/70/17's.
HEELTOE: Did you have DL vibration with the Dakars??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts