TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my taco is due for new shocks, these days it drives like a boat. I know I may be comparing apples and oranges, but my friend's '05 TRD felt reeeeally nice.

I get off road maybe 2-3 times a year, and even then nothing big (note stock 30"ers and stock ride height), so on-road ride is my #1 concern. It looks like I can get the TRD Bilsteins on ebay for about $280/set, but if there's a better deal out there I'd like to know. Any input is appreciated.

(signature didn't work: '99 taco, 4x4 5spd manual, 2.7L 4-cyl, SR5, LCE header, 115k miles)

·
Registered
947 Posts
dustboy said:
my taco is due for new shocks, these days it drives like a boat. I know I may be comparing apples and oranges, but my friend's '05 TRD felt reeeeally nice.

I get off road maybe 2-3 times a year, and even then nothing big (note stock 30"ers and stock ride height), so on-road ride is my #1 concern. It looks like I can get the TRD Bilsteins on ebay for about $280/set, but if there's a better deal out there I'd like to know. Any input is appreciated.
What year is yours? If yours is the older ones, you will never get a ride like the new ones. If yours is new, then replace your shocks with the Bilsteins that are stock on the TRD version. I have a feeling you have an 02 or so, if thats the case, the only way it will feel somewhat simular to the 05 is to sit still.

Nevermind, saw it in your sig. 99"-- Yea, there is no way the ride will even get close.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
definitely go with the bilsteins. you might just have to cough up the $$$ for them if you want to have equal ride qualities. you might be able to get some lightly used ones in the classified section or the WTB section

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jhunter said:
Yea, there is no way the ride will even get close.
not what i asked. I said I like that kind of ride, and what kind of shock will get me as close as possible while keeping budget in mind.

·
Registered
947 Posts
dustboy said:
not what i asked. I said I like that kind of ride, and what kind of shock will get me as close as possible while keeping budget in mind.
Ok, just letting you know that the ride of the new trucks is more than shocks is all. I went from stock shocks with 90K on them to the ones your talking about, and it is better, but nothing like the new trucks. Did not want you to be upset after spending the extra money. The Bils might acually not be for you. Not going offroad, you might look into some other options and save some money. The fronts are going to be expensive no matter which ones you go with.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
dustboy said:
your coming off as a dickhead. go use the search feature. every suspension question you could possibly have has been covered.

·
Registered
947 Posts
badmoonrising said:
your coming off as a dickhead. go use the search feature. every suspension question you could possibly have has been covered.
Thought the same thing, but was not for sure. I thought I told him what he wanted to know. Oh well, search will answer it for him, if it does not work, he can get an 05.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would steer clear of the eBay deal that you quoted in your first post. Go to the sponsors section and check out Wheeler's Offraod. I think you'll save about 100 bucks on the shocks you're looking for and then you'll KNOW that they're new. Good people to deal with too!

Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mixedgasdiver said:
I would steer clear of the eBay deal that you quoted in your first post. Go to the sponsors section and check out Wheeler's Offraod. I think you'll save about 100 bucks on the shocks you're looking for and then you'll KNOW that they're new. Good people to deal with too!

Rob
Thanks for the help, I generally avoid ebay, it's gotten too scammy. Wheelers price seems decent, I'll try giving them a call.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
jhunter said:
Thought the same thing, but was not for sure. I thought I told him what he wanted to know. Oh well, search will answer it for him, if it does not work, he can get an 05.
some people just arent very nice i guess. haha

·
Registered
456 Posts
dustboy said:
San Francisco. I have to mash over parking blocks for fun.
Too bad you don't live in Socal. I have a set of fronts and in a month or so a set of rears that could go for damn near nothing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts