TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Tacoma 5vz 5 speed TRD and just wondering what to do next performance wise... I do not want to turbo my truck, and internals are expensive, but I think those are my only 2 options. Here is what I have done

INSTALLED MODS
TRD black supercharger
URD six injector kit w/ FTC
2.1 inch pulley, I have 10.3 psi
Devils own methanol injection w/ 7 GPH nozzle running 100% meth
Good Tune
Magnaflow high flow 2nd cat, hollowed 1st cat
Magnaflow 4x9x18
Auto meter wideband gauge
4.56 gears front and rear
K&N intake
Worthless Helix throttle body spacer

UNINSTALLED MODS- have these parts just haven't put them on
Doug thorley headers
URD crankshaft pulley
Electric fan

I am probably forgetting something in here. Has anyone ever port and polished there super charger, bigger throttle body. If I was going to rebuild and beef up my internals what pistons and rods should I get? Cams? Valves? Etc

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Buy a street bike.

Then send that S/C and injector set up up to me. It will only hurt your truck. Everyone knows they're crap:D

Really though, sound like you have it all. Maybe buy a built engine from LC and swap over your goodies.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Does LC build a full 5VZ? Seems like last I was on their site they didnt have a lot of 5VZ goodies and only like a short block 5VZ.

You could port and polish your heads but I imagine the gain wouldnt be worth all the work.

Im really curious what headers do for our trucks thou, you should get yours on and give us your opinion ;) It sounds like the headers are a lot more noticable on a SC truck then on a N/A one. But like Wainiha said it dosnt sound like theres a whole lot more you can do without getting into the more serious and expensive stuff. I always thought a supra engine or diesel engine swap would be cool, but a ton of work and a long down time for the truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nitrous would help you blow some shit up for sure! (J/k). On a more realistic note though, you could try out the 2.0 URD pulley. Other than that you're about out of power adders concidering you're not wanting to go turbo........even though there is a lot more boost potential. Have you ever had that thing on a dyno? I bet that truck would do work under ideal conditions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had it on a dyno but all i had installed was blower and the URD fuel kit, no tune. got 230 at the rear wheels. waiting to get all the other stuff on to dyno it again

·
Registered
405 Posts
The headers are obviously the next step, especially if you have them in hand. You've done pretty much everything else.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starting to research internals, i have access to a 5vz that is laying around at a buddies house. thinking about putting it up on a stand and putting a 3vz crank it is, because they are forged and the 5vz ones are not and that will save some money. Then getting some chromoly rods and .20" over forged pistons. then taking the heads off of the motor on the stand and get them port and polished, bigger valves, springs, and cams. Putting the charger, methanol, headers back on and tune away and see what happens. thinking about 5K-6K for a full build. this is all just an idea right now though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What do you use your truck for?

My next step is electric fans and maybe the URD crankshaft pulley.

If you have not yet I would get poly motor and tranny mounts. Its good insurance and you will get instant response through the drivetrain and get off the line faster.

I have also been kicking around the idea of ported & polished heads and cams, just not sure it would be the type of power I am looking for.

On another note I still think that the headers were alot more work than they were worth. If you are thinking of pulling the motor install them with it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry what I didn't state above is that at this point I would work on getting the power to the ground with as little loss as possible.

But the real question is are you going for dyno numbers, trying to beat a mustang of the line, or just want as much power possible when wheeling?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Before spending 5-6k on a built 3.4, you should consider swapping in a powerplant with more power potential such as a 1uz, 1jz, 7m, sbc, etc. for the same cost or lower

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heard that 3vz cams are the same but with a different lobe, anyone use those and gotten any results? If they would work that would take so much outta the head work costs

·
Registered
188 Posts
If your going to be putting the money into 5vz building it up. Then you might as well go with a turbo build. You'll make more HP with less parasitic drag from the supercharger.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thinking about just building some heads for now. port and polish, new values, new springs, and 3vz-fe cams. way cheaper than a turbo build if only i could find a set of cams

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just go with colt cams re-grinds.... 3vzfe cams would only work with a standalone computer, and may require modifications.

For real power, go turbo.
If you want a bit more, get the blower ported + polished by steigermeier..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just go with colt cams re-grinds.... 3vzfe cams would only work with a standalone computer, and may require modifications.

For real power, go turbo.
If you want a bit more, get the blower ported + polished by steigermeier..
I have a URD FTC, what are the specs on the Regina that you have? And how much did they cost?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Regina?

I'm running the stage 2 262 duration colt cams. They sent shims to set them up, but they looked cheesy to me so i ordered all new toyota shims for correct valve clearances.
It wont do much with the urd ftc.... remember those cams are made to rev to 6500-7000 rpm, and you cant go higher than 5750 with the stock computer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
** cams

Yeah I just talked to Jeff at colt cams. 550 for regrinds with the shims. Plan on getting the LC engineering dual spring setup with all new retainers and keepers and valve seals. How do we get our computers to rev that high? What r the options?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well... The only piggyback that is capable of raising the rev limit is the Greddy Emanage Ultimate. Otherwise you will have to go with a standalone (megasquirt, haltech, etc.)...
Also, with a stock bottom end, i wouldn't go much past 6500rpm...

·
Registered
422 Posts
The coltcams will help. Sorry i have not dyno'd my truck yet... i'm very interested to see what they do. the stock 3.4 hp drops off around 4700 rpm and with the cams i'm hoping the hp stays high until redline. we will see....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts