TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 single cab toyota tacoma prerunner sr5, 2.7L automatic, 3in tough country lift with 33x12.50xr15's

highway speeds suckkk... wats invovled in re gearing? how much does it cost or is it somthing i could do at home? where do i go about getting what i need?
id also love to get a locker.... the truck seems to be able to go anywhere if i keep both wheels on the gorund. ive been pretty surprised that i havnt been able to get the truck stuck in some stuff

valves seem to click some... has anyone had to get their valves adjusted?

im looking for a good wench or tube bumper for the front.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
Damn you got a big shopping list....

Gears- Not for the novice installer. I'd recommend buying gears from a forum vendor or find a quality local shop to do the work. You're probably looking at around $600-700 or so for the gears, parts and installation.

Locker- No-Slip and Lock-Right are some good lockers that are not too hard to install and run about $250-350. You can also go with a selectable locker like the ARB, but that will run you about $600+200+installation.

Valves- The DOHC on the 2.7L has shims between the valve springs and the cam. Its easy to check the gap with a feeler gauge, but you need the right tools and obviously the correct shims to adjust the valves.

Bumper- I'll let you search here for the various bumper pic threads, but there are lots of options like Demello, CBI, ARB, Shrockworks, All Pro and plenty others. Prices vary greatly and the styles also differ.

Exhaust- My personal preference would be a FM50 delta flow. I've got a FM40 on my 2.7L and its too loud IMHO.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i'd recommend a No-Slip locker for your non-TRD axle. i had one, but didn't work out for me so i swapped it out for a TRD axle. between the two axles, i'd rather have the strength of the "8.4" non-TRD axle but then it lacks the elocker option.

as for the gearing, ^^^ what showstop said.

i have a prerunner myself and don't think i can go to 33s with a 2WD. but i'll try 32s when my 31" BFG ATs run out.

good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, you want a lot of things at a time. I woudl recommend starting with the gears. Don't install it yourself, you can really mess it up. Let professionals do it, it's not that expensice and you won't have any problems afterwards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea its just a block lift from rough country... i think its three in the rear and i have it at 2.5 in the front

·
Registered
411 Posts
man, that's too much "blocks" dude. i ran 2" blocks for a while...>>>rode like shit, felt like shit. right now, i have an AAL to accomodate the saggin' stocko leafs and the donahoe res. once those babies are done, imma get some deavers. had them on my '96 and they were amazing hauling and flexin'. save up and do it right bro.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts