TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is an appropriate post in this section. I am new to the site and I am curious. What do you guys carry with you when you are off road? Do you have a special jack? Chainsaw? What if I don’t have a winch? I am looking for some type of survival kit for off roading I guess. I appreciate any suggestions.

Philos

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Philos said:
I hope this is an appropriate post in this section. I am new to the site and I am curious. What do you guys carry with you when you are off road? Do you have a special jack? Chainsaw? What if I don’t have a winch? I am looking for some type of survival kit for off roading I guess. I appreciate any suggestions.

Philos
You'll get lots of different replies. If you are heading out into a very remote area, consider lots of water, food, and supplies to keep you alive.

As for truck stuff, a high-lift is good to have. You can use it as a winch if you had to, although a real winch is 100x better! I carry a chain saw when I am camping or running trails in the early spring when lots of trees are down.

I also carry lots of tools and parts to fix most of the common stuff that breaks out on the trail.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not a pro wheeler by any means, but when I hit the trails I lug the following:

Comprehensive first aid kit for my wife and I
Hi-Lift jack
30,000lb tow strap
2 heavy duty D shackles
shovel
1 gallon of coolant
extra fluids (oil, p/s, brake fluid)
SAE and Metric Gearwrenches
a hammer and prybar
a hacksaw (until I get a cordless sawzall)
2 MREs
2 gallons of drinking water
Mountain Money (toilet paper)
Nav tools (compass, topo of the area) too poor for GPS
spare jackets/socks (wet socks are miserable)
garbage bags (to collect up random trail trash)

That's all I can think of without opening my kit.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The list can be long. Right now I carry:
Tools!!
Tow Strap
Hi-lift off road kit
60" Hi-lift jack
off road base for said jack
6-8 shackles
tree strap
water
oils
Sometimes extra fuel
Tire patch kit (but is no good because I have no onboard air yet, but maybe someone I am with will)
Electrical wire and connector kit
jumper cables
flashlights
fire extinquisher (both flashlights and extinquishers are mounted in the cab)
axe
shovel
Pretty sure there is more but I cant remember right now. Hope this helps

·
Registered
228 Posts
I carry a lot, but could not imagine putting tires to dirt without water, a way to make a fire, a shovel, axe, a tarp, blanket or coat, first aid kit, and hi-lift jack.

That will get you out of most stucks, or at least give you what you need to survive for a few days until your point of contact sends help (MUST tell someone where you're going, especially if going alone or with kids).

·
Registered
552 Posts
There is a large tool box on the back of my truck with chains, cables, straps, ropes, jacks, com-a-long, shovel, ax, saw, pruners,hatchet, machettie, oil, trans fluid, gear grease, hammers ,pry bars, jumper cables, 2 snatch blocks, heavy leather gloves, rain gear, blankets, spot light, flash lites, extra clothes and work boots, food , water, coffee, fire starter, Cup that will plug in to lighter socket and make soup or coffee and keep it steaming hot. First aid kit and every tool you can think of , tie wire, electric tape, electric wire, extra fuses. I forgot that I also carry blocks of wood under the tool box, several 4x6 , 4x4, 2x4 and 2x6 all of them are oak and about 2' long. Extra change in the glove box for phone calls if needed, Cell phones have a hard time around my area of the woods,lol.

·
Registered
550 Posts
its important to stress that whenever you go wheelin in an unpopulated place, make sure to bring a friend along, and even better, a friend with his or her own rig. Some of the responses suggest items that you might need to spend the night. If you have another friend with a rig when yours breaks down, then you wont have to worry about this since he can take you back to safety. I reccomend a first aid kit, a GPS (for cordinates in case you have to helicopter someone out), and water. If your rig is so screwed up that you had to abandon it, then probably no one will be able to drive it away and steal it. However, it isnt a smart idea to leave your rig for more than one night abandoned. I think the best survival gear you can bring on an 4x4 trip is another friend with a rig that is capable of towing yours and getting you home safely. A cell phone would be a good idea, but i never get reception where i go. CB radio maybe if you know there are other wheelers nearby. Also, always have a "float plan" before you go out, meaning tell someone else who is somewhat responsible what you plan on doing and when you plan on getting back... jeez i am starting to sound like a mother :) just take care and drive within your limits.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Smith & Wesson...never leaves my side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts