TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my truck was used for the development of the pro comp 6 inch susp. lift, and as part of the deal, they are giving me a stage 2 lift, traction bars, skidplate, wheels, tires, lights, light bar, etc. The only problem with this is that i would much rather have a 3inch setup (donahoes or something) so I am hopefully going to see if they will give me all the stuff uninstalled and just sell it and use the money to get a real lift, I off-road a lot and need something functional, not for show. The traction bars, lift, and skidplate come to retail of 3000. I'm sure I cant get that much if I resell it, even though its brand new, but I figure I can get maybe 2500 for all of it. The installation is also a cost I have to consider, they were going to install the lift fro free, but if I get something else I’ll have to pay for installation.

I was wondering what suspension setups you guys recommend, what you have, how much it cost, and if you like it or if you do something different? Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
HAHA, that's hilarious. Even the guy that offered his truck for development of the lift doesn't want it :lmao:

I'm on a college budget so I'm just using the toytec 3in lift with alcan AALs in the back. I'll go with hoes later most likely with a beefy leaf pack in the back (getting a hardtop and building storage/bed), but for now this gets me around fine.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
My truck will be on order in 41 days :D

I plan to keep it pretty simple... I personally have no need for hoes... Too much bling IMO... the OEM ride and springs are good quality and good ride.. I will be running a 1" spring spacer and a .5" top plate spacer. For the rear I havent decided if I want to run a 1" block or 1" Alcan AAL... I will probally wait to see how the rear rides before deciding, thou I am leaning towards the AAL, not a huge fan of blocks.

I dont see the point in going much over 1.5", and really thats only for looks and the extra .5" droop from the top plate spacer. You cant fit any larger tire from stock up thru 3", unless you add larger bumpstops, then you loose travel... so why stress the CV's.. even with the diffdrop its not much.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
ah64id said:
You cant fit any larger tire from stock up thru 3", unless you add larger bumpstops, then you loose travel... so why stress the CV's.. even with the diffdrop its not much.

??? There are lots of people with 3" and even less in some cases running 285's. I don't know of anyone changing their bumpstops, the rubbing from larger tires on these trucks happen in two places, the UCA because of too much backspacing or on the body mount when turning.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
justinh said:
??? There are lots of people with 3" and even less in some cases running 285's. I don't know of anyone changing their bumpstops, the rubbing from larger tires on these trucks happen in two places, the UCA because of too much backspacing or on the body mount when turning.
Right.. and they would rub in the same spot w/out the lift... I am not saying what size tire can fit... and many run 285's... but where the tire rubs will not change.. The suspension still cycles in the same location as prelift, you compress to the same spot, so really the lift will not affect the tire fitment, if you wheel. If you don't take the rig offroad you will gain room for larger tires as you dont compress the suspension.. But if you take it offroad you will place the tire where it was stock every time you compress the suspension.. thus no extra tire room.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
barlowrs said:
Hey everyone, my truck was used for the development of the pro comp 6 inch susp. lift, and as part of the deal, they are giving me a stage 2 lift, traction bars, skidplate, wheels, tires, lights, light bar, etc. The only problem with this is that i would much rather have a 3inch setup (donahoes or something) so I am hopefully going to see if they will give me all the stuff uninstalled and just sell it and use the money to get a real lift, I off-road a lot and need something functional, not for show. The traction bars, lift, and skidplate come to retail of 3000. I'm sure I cant get that much if I resell it, even though its brand new, but I figure I can get maybe 2500 for all of it. The installation is also a cost I have to consider, they were going to install the lift fro free, but if I get something else I’ll have to pay for installation.

I was wondering what suspension setups you guys recommend, what you have, how much it cost, and if you like it or if you do something different? Thanks a lot guys!
If your Tacoma is 4wd your stuck with the kit as they had to cut you subframe crossmember to install the kit.

This is not necessary on Prerunners (2wd) so if you have a Pee-runner you should be able to swap it out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont get me wrong, there is nothign wrong with the lift if 6 inches is what you want, but i need a more practical lift, i dont want to run 35". i use it off-road a lot, so i need something better for offroad. honeslty (and i know some of you are factech guys, so dont hate me) but i feel teh pro comp stage 2 is much better than the fabtech 6inch, so if 6 inch is what you want, go for it!

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
I have SAW's up front and All Pro Leafs in the back with Rancho shocks, running 33's. Cost for Coilovers, springs and shocks will be in the range of about $1500+(SAW's are about $900, Springs are $300'ish and ~$200 for shocks), depending upon the type of Coilovers, springs and shocks you get.

Good luck!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I don't know why they would still give it to you at no charge if you aren't going to have it installed. Isn't the point so that they can make sure everything fits and works correctly. Sure they can mock it up, but there is no testing in a mock up. Not that I would want to go this route either, but I think you're looking a gift horse in the mouth.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Breathegood said:
I don't know why they would still give it to you at no charge if you aren't going to have it installed. Isn't the point so that they can make sure everything fits and works correctly. Sure they can mock it up, but there is no testing in a mock up. Not that I would want to go this route either, but I think you're looking a gift horse in the mouth.
no they used my truck for the development up until the mockup, but for the testing, they bought their own truck. the double cab they used at SEMA, and in the adds. im sure they wont mind because its been almost 2 years since i was "supposed" to get the lift, but the installation has been the main problem in getting it to me, i cant leave my truck at their shop for that long.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Still, why would they just give it to you so you could turn around and sell it to someone else.....if you wanted other compensation besides a free lift kit, it would have been wise to discuss it with them from the beginning. Did you make any written agreements with Pro-Comp? Trying not to sound like a dick, but if I were with PC, I'd tell you "Either we install it or you can be happy with the knowledge that you're a kind and generous person that helped with the development of our kit."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
Breathegood
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing