TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want 6" of suspension, i already have a 3" bl but im wanting to get up for real. What brand suspension? Fabtech, Trailmaster or what? and on my tires 35's is what im wanting. Is that the best size? And I know i need to change gears. What gears do i need to get to run a 35? Just the basic one tymer question thats all i need to know guys. Ya'll seem to know what ya'll are talkin about. I just don't want to read all those posts and make my own decision. Ya'll just fill me in on what i need to know and what would be the easiest on my truck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How about some vehicle info? That would help us tell you what to get.

Obviously you can't get 6 MORE inches of lift if you have IFS. You can get 3" of suspension lift and Fabtech's are great for the front.

If you have a straight front axle, this is a different story.

For the rear, you should do it right and get a lifted leaf pack. But can can go the cheaper route and put steel lifting blocks in there if you want. then find longer shocks to match....everyone here likes Bilsteins. But there are several other cheaper choices like trailmaster, rough country, and rancho maybe.

With 6" of lift, you can certainly run 35's. Go for 5.29's. you could get away with 4.88 if this is a DD and you don't wheel it alot.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Assuming that you have a '95, just sell it and pick up a lifted solid axle rig from the '80's. It'll be way cheaper and better. I think the lifts you are talking about are drop bracket lifts which pretty much nobody on this forum will recommend. They are not really for wheeling.
But....if what you're trying to do is build a rig that can flip over at parking lot speeds (3" BL), I would strongly consider an eliptical exo-skeleton so you will be able to wright your truck relitively easily.

My 2c's.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Um, technically a 3" bodylift has a lower center of gravity than a 3" suspension lift..

With the body lift, the engine, gas tank, frame, etc all stay low, keeping the COG low as well. With a suspension lift, all that weight is also raised. And no, I dont like bodylifts, but that doesnt mean they dont have some positive aspects.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
What do you do with the truck? If you just want it to look pretty then go with the drop bracket lift like tough country and the body lift and you will clear 35s with no cutting.. If you actually wheel the truck you do not need 9" of lift to clear 35s.. just some :saw: Thats the way I recommend if your gonna wheel the hell out of it.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
If I had to choose between a Fabtech and Trailmaster, I would chose the trailmaster kit any day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aight, after hours of reading and searching I believe I finally decided that a drop bracket lift is what i need. Based on what i figured out that they are not for extreme off-roading. Which i will not be using this truck for just yet. It has to last me until i can afford a new tacoma :) But when i get a new one its on! But nobody ever said the drop bracket lift were flawless. What are some of the problems it will cause with my truck just on everyday driving. What are some things i need to pay attention to and basically what are the known cons of the drop bracket.

Next question and i will be done....no more noob questions,promise.

What brand drop bracket lift will be best on my truck? Keep in mind performance is not as important issue as the durability.

Oh yeah the truck is a 95.5 tacomav6

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
The Trailmaster kit is still what you want. IMHO, it's the finest drop down kit out there, it's designed right, it's drable, and it performs well. The Fabtech's don't keep the stock steering geometry well, and the tires stick out very far in the front. Note the Fabtech's have been notorious for ball joint issues, and the Pro-Crap kit uses a ball joint spacer. If you want a 4" drop bracket, the key would to get a Pro comp kit, and use the Trailmaster spindles.

The only con that I see about a drop bracket kit is even though you are higher, the center of the truck is still roughly at the same hieght. Basically, this is bad for wheeling but in terms of street-queeness, it's allright...

It shouldn't cause much problems. The only problems that you will have are associated with the bigger tires. This includes ball joints and steering rack...

·
Registered
391 Posts
when i bought my truck the previous owner had put a pro crap kit on it. So I weighed my options and went with the following remedy, tuff country spindles and alcan rear springs, my future plans include coilovers. just an idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well aight that still leaves me ????? The Fabtech is out of the question now its tuff country, procomp, or trailmaster. Im wantin to buy an all in one kit just put the money down get it put on and there im set. Im wanting to buy right now because 4 wheel parts is offering a 12 month no interest credit card only for this month. There are no 4x4 shops in probably 250 mile radius of where im at so im forced to buy from magazines or online so if ya'll could just help me out on what i should buy i will be done. I just do not want to drop a lot of money like that then my truck be a POS and cant drive it without tearing something up. But i really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've done a ton of research lately cuz I'm going through the same thing. The ProComp sucks. It uses spacers on the spindles so count it out. 4WheelParts will try to sell it to you cuz it's their brand, I've heard. The Trailmaster eliminates the upper control arms, I believe. That scares me a bit, so I dropped it from my choices. I ended up buying the Tuff Country 5" on ebay. There's a guy on there that had 4 kits for under $1500 with shipping. I haven't gotten mine yet (I just ordered it a few days ago). I also like it cuz I can use aftermarket coilovers. I don't know if you can with the other kits or not. I've heard mixed reviews on the Fabtec, but counted it out since I really wanted a 4" lift...settled for the 5" TC cuz I can't deal with the ProComp.

As far as the drop down kits not lifting "the center of the truck" it is no different than a solid axle. You'll only lift the pumpkins with bigger tires. No biggie. I like that the drop downs basically keep the geometry correct. Course...I haven't installed mine yet :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts