TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have actually never bought tires before so this is my first set im about to buy. 99 tacoma that is mainly street queen but i do wheel probably 2-3 times a month, nothing too crazy. i have a 3 inch lift and 4 banger, 4.10 gears.

first off i would like to know what size tire i could run without to much rub and still have enough power.

second i would like to know whats a good street and wheeling tire.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have Goodyear wangler duratracs and they are good for both. You could run 285/75/16 with minimal rubbing but if you don't want to get new wheels also then the biggest you can co would be BFG KM2s 33/10.50/15

Stupid response/question sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i looked at those and like them alot!
i feel that 33 with the 10.5 width looks kinda funny. Do ya think that like 32 11.5 would work out and look about the same?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
i feel that 33 with the 10.5 width looks kinda funny. Do ya think that like 32 11.5 would work out and look about the same?
im not sure what rubbing issues come with 32 1150 but im sure if you search around someone has covered it before. and im not sure if you can put 11.50s on stock rims.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looked at the duratracks and they dont come in any of the sizes i want, damn.

and taht would be shitty if i cant put wider tires on i would at least want a little bit more width :(

·
Registered
260 Posts
I ran the 265/75 for a long time on mine in the toyo open country at. Wasn't a bad combo but don't wheel a lot. I'm running the maxxis bighorn in a 255/85 and ckuldn't be happier. Only thing I'd have done differently is bought them off of ebay instead of at schwabs. They were alot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Go to tirerack.com and pull up a tireyou like and then go to the specs page on that tire. It will show youths actual size, weight and revs per mile in every tire. For example, you'll find out that a 285/75/16 is a true 33" by 11" and that a 33/12.50/15 is almost always 32"- 32.5" by 12"

Itwill also tell you what width rim you need

·
Registered
516 Posts
I used to run a 32x11.50x15 Cooper Discoverer STT on my '98 and loved them. If you want need a good street tire, definately go with a Super Swamper Bogger. :cool:

That was on a 2" HellBent Steel spacer lift with stock TRD Bilstein fronts, and a small lift block in the back and stock rear Bilsteins. Didn't seem to rub much...just a little on the lower corner of my fender flare.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I used to run a 32x11.50x15 Cooper Discoverer STT on my '98 and loved them. If you want need a good street tire, definately go with a Super Swamper Bogger. :cool:

That was on a 2" HellBent Steel spacer lift with stock TRD Bilstein fronts, and a small lift block in the back and stock rear Bilsteins. Didn't seem to rub much...just a little on the lower corner of my fender flare.
What width wheels did you run with your "bogger"

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are you serious about the super swampers lol?

alot of people have told me good things about cooper tires for the best of both worlds.

and thanks i will check out tire rack. i was looking at discount tire and it wasnt helping me to much

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The 33X10.50s don't look "funny" to me:D

/

If you really wheel your truck, you know that function is more important than looks. But I understand you want your junk to look good too:p

Whatever tires you choose, remember they all might end up having a slight different "look" based on the width of the wheels you are running. What are the specs of your wheels?

Also, You said you have 3" of lift but didn't specify what type of lift. Spacers? Coilovers? Body lift?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yah i like how yours looks alot :)

Not sure what the rim specs on mine are, stock 99 sr5 rims 15" not sure on backspacing or rim width. This is why im worried about rub and stuff, i have no money for new rims.

Im waiting on coilover up front for about 2.75 and 3 inch leafs in back.

No idea on backspacing but i beleive the wheels are 15x7

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
yah i like how yours looks alot :)

Not sure what the rim specs on mine are, stock 99 sr5 rims 15" not sure on backspacing or rim width. This is why im worried about rub and stuff, i have no money for new rims.

Im waiting on coilover up front for about 2.75 and 3 inch leafs in back.

No idea on backspacing but i beleive the wheels are 15x7
its a 15x7 with either 4 or 4.5 BS but either way a 33 1050 wont rub that much and if it does it with be on the pinch weld or at full lock and stuff. and if it does hit the pinch weld just take a BFH to it and flatten it out, and it rubs at full lock when your tires are stuffed i wouldnt be to worried because you dont wheel it enough to effect it

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cool cool i really like the KM2s ill look into some other stuff but as of now im thinking KM2 33 10.5. do you think power issues could be a problem with those? and what about the tire hitting the uca is taht possible looks like my stock tires are pretty damn close

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Power loss shouldn't be to bad with a 10.50 and no it won't rub the uca. I have 31/10.50 on stock rims and i clear them fine and I don't think adding an extra inch on top will effect anything

And BFG is the only company that makes a 33/1050

·
Registered
516 Posts
What width wheels did you run with your "bogger"

I ran 15x10 simulocks with 3.75 bs (they were off my '84). Stuck out a few inches though. I had them on my '84 with 33x12.50x15 Boggers, then switched them to my Tacoma with 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT.

·
Registered
516 Posts
are you serious about the super swampers lol?

alot of people have told me good things about cooper tires for the best of both worlds.

and thanks i will check out tire rack. i was looking at discount tire and it wasnt helping me to much
No, the Bogger comment was a joke, of course. I did run them to and from the trail and didn't mind them a bit. I actually loved the way they howled driving down the road.

The Cooper STT tires were great. They worked really well for all of the different types of terrain I drove them on; sand, snow, street, rocks, dirt and mud. No complaints.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts