TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a first gen 1988 4 runner with the fuel injected I i live in the mountains and will spend a lot of time driving it in mountain passes and steep hills i probably wont be towing much and if i do it wont be that heavy the heaviest i could ever do and this would be unlikely would be a 2 horse trailer. is the 4 enough to handle the steep mountain roads it is a manual. there are lots of trucks around here and i want enough guts to accelerate from 75 to 85+ quickly to pass them. is this possible. also i was wondering if there are any cheap fixes for the back end sag add a leafs??? cannibalize springs form another truck???

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have an '88 regular cab truck and a '94 extended cab truck, both with 4 cyls and 5 speeds, and they are slow, underpowered trucks. They suck on hills/mountains (I went to college in MT during the no speed limit years, and that wasn't an issue for me 'casue I couldn't go fast anyway). They will not tow a horse trailer. I still like them anyway. With the exception of the timing chain guides, these engines are pretty bullet proof.

A really cheap fix for the sagging rear is to get some springs from a '79-'83 pickup. They will bolt right in, and they have about 1" more lift to them than the '84-'88 springs. Or you can get some lift shackles from www.trail-gear.com or www.marlincrawler.com

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
First - a two horse trailer is HEAVY.

You need to look into the newer trucks with the 3.4L or the 4.0L.

OFRD_GRL towed her horse trailer with the FJ and it worked pretty well, I hear.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Dave,

As great as the 22RE 4cyl is, it ain't no power house. Just saw a vintage advertisement of the '88 Turbo 4Runner boasting of it's 135 HP!! WoooWhoo!!! Not saying you can't "hop it up", but HP cost money $$$$ !!! There are many aftermarket parts and vendors that can increase performance on the 22R's and RE's. Do the research.

We own an '85 22R, a '92 22RE, a '00 2.7, an '04 3.4 and an '06 4.0.... All three four bangers are great but not too powerful at all. You might consider the 3.4, still ain't too hot. It would be with a TRD supercharger though, and would probably work well at your high altitude mountain passes I suppose. I really do like the 4.0 in our '06 4Runner, but that's kinda in a different leauge.

If your in a hurry, which it sounds you may be, I would consider something else. And yea, I wouldn't try the two horse trailer with or without the horses in it....on flat ground, much less through mountain passes. I've always liked the first gen 4Runners, just have to use them based on their capability and how you plan to modify it. Maybe someone else has input on towing a horse trailer w/this thing.

There are posts concering the 4Runner rear sag, do the research by using the search function.

Hey, good luck!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
the trailer would be shuttling it empty across town for a fried not in the passes. all i might tow in the passes would be a 2 place snowmobile trailer sorry i though i wrote that in the first post must have gotten side tracked. part of the reason for the older 4runner is a lack of cash and a need for 4wd i also like the removable top and with work in the future it could be a good trail rig. I also know that toyota's will run forever if there taken care of and the I4's are bomb proof

·
Registered
80 Posts
go for it !!!

the 4 bangers are slow in the hills, but on the downhills- !!!
the way to tow loads--- not too fast, @35----- leave the manual hubs unlocked-- do the hills in 4L !!! tis what i have done flat towing a jeep, and when moveing, towing a 6'X12' LOADED trailer.

i flat tow my 85 trail rig to the Hammers and the Con with my 92 4cy. and it weighs in at @4300 trail loaded.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Even with proper gearing it will be a dog, i bet if you ran like 5.29s with 33s or 4.88s with 31s it would help but still don't expect to win a race with these lil' engines. Plus if you add a cam and a header back exhaust to help with low end. I know my catback helps tons with my 37s:D

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
accelerate from 75 to 85 ???
maybe on the downhill side,

like already posted if you run 33's you will need 5.29's 31's you'll need 4.88's otherwise you will never see 5th

22RE's like to pull above 3000 rpm, so if running hills and mountains youwant your gearing low, keep your rpms over 3000 and you'll be fine

but even with the lower gearing your not gonna be seeing 85 going up any thing

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
go for the V6...you won't regret it...and if you're really serious, get a supercharger put on it.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
My dream truck is a white 1st gen 4runner with no rust, with a built diamond/toyota axle a rear trd axle and a 3.4 supa charged with the 22ret manual and duals. talk about a beast:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts