TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was removing the cylinder head from my truck and I used a stupid crows foot to remove the bolt from the cam shaft and it broke off a piece of the tool and then flew up and hit the hood then landed somewhere on the driver side of the engine. I can't find the stupid thing I have spent about 2 hours looking. Any suggestion ;(

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
So I was removing the cylinder head from my truck and I used a stupid crows foot to remove the bolt from the cam shaft and it broke off a piece of the tool and then flew up and hit the hood then landed somewhere on the driver side of the engine. I can't find the stupid thing I have spent about 2 hours looking. Any suggestion ;(
A couple of ways to do this.

Get a really good magnet retriever; worm that thing around all over the place, every nook and cranny. Yeah, it's gonna stick to everything. But eventually..... it's gonna attract your little missing friend- unless it's a non magnetic alloy of some sort. (Doubt it. Easy to test....)

clean any and all oil deposits in the head with paper towels. I mean, dry it off. And look, with a light and a magnifying glass.

Next, after the magnifier and towels, comes high pressure air. Blow the head clean off. LISTEN for the little shitbird to 'tick' as it skips around or flies off.

Other than those, the next option is to flip the truck over and shake the shit out of it until your mystery friend comes out. The only drawback from this is you will shake loose all the change stuck in the seats and the lost ketchup packets will be falling out all over the damn place.:rolleyes:

If you STILL can't find it??? Bolt the fucker back together and run it. Chances are, it's gonna make it's way to the pan or into a low dam in the head casting and never give you any trouble.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Are you sure it's in the engine? I've dropped stuff that ended up stuck on top of engine mounts, around the diff, cv axles, ect. I'm pretty sure Toyota designed the engine bay to eat fasteners because there is more than one nut I've never found.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it fell inside the engine but seeing how I looked everywhere I'm considering maybe it did. I know the engine brackets like to hide tools but I'll look one more time then pressure wash the mofo. The guys !

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found it! so after removing the manifold, and poking around with a magnet, and blowing it with air, i did one last sweep of my lawn area, and found it about 30ft from where i am working on the truck :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Are you sure it's in the engine? I've dropped stuff that ended up stuck on top of engine mounts, around the diff, cv axles, ect. I'm pretty sure Toyota designed the engine bay to eat fasteners because there is more than one nut I've never found.
yikes..sorry to hear:eek:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
found it! so after removing the manifold, and poking around with a magnet, and blowing it with air, i did one last sweep of my lawn area, and found it about 30ft from where i am working on the truck :mad:
Wow; that is some fuggin' persistence.

Either that, or you got a hold of some seriously good blow.:p

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha nay, i just hate it when im trying to complete something, and i get all these curve balls thrown at me. :mad:

·
Registered
507 Posts
yeah, things can quickly snap out of hand and fly into many different directions, which does sound like it blows when you're trying to get something done.

Its a bummer not having a paved driveway to wrench on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts