TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out wheelin today at our local spot, lil to muddy for my buddy, who got stuck in the middle of the trail. So i try goin around to get better traction to pull him out, all of the sudden something squeeks then truck shuts down, get out, and somehow there was a like a spring mattress cushion thing that got wrapped around my rear drive line. I had a hack saw and dikes in my truck, nothing helped. It also sucks that i am in slooshy mud, and the mattress is like 3x5. So its wound up around the drive line pretty hard core, then the rest is balled up under it.

So we left our trucks out there which i really didn't wanna do, but its right by my place, and noooo body is going out there, so i will be ok. I am goin out tonight to get some bolt cutters or something of that caliber to get it off. Anyone got any better Idears? Wish I could somehow get a cuttin torch out there, but no go.

Anywase, any help would be great. Thanks :saw:

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Sounds like Red Dog to me. Nothing but garbage and trash and mud out there.

Tin snips, or bolt cutters should help you. Fuck, dykes should have done the job too, with persistance.

Or torches, but hopefully you dont set the whole place on fire while torching shit you should have never ran over in the first place.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
power inverter and a grinder with cut off wheel? ...thats what i would do anyways lol.

that sounds like alot of trails around here, just random shit all over the place

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
CWest said:
So we left our trucks out there which i really didn't wanna do, but its right by my place, and noooo body is going out there, so i will be ok. I am goin out tonight to get some bolt cutters or something of that caliber to get it off. Anyone got any better Idears? Wish I could somehow get a cuttin torch out there, but no go.

Anywase, any help would be great. Thanks :saw:
Drop the driveline and unwind all the crap.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike said:
Drop the driveline and unwind all the crap.

Later,
....Mike
thats what I went to do right off the bat, but its so wound up there, that i can't get to the bolts, but as soon as i get a lil off, thats what i'm gonna do! Thanks for lookin out guys. :xbeer1:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
CWest said:
thats what I went to do right off the bat, but its so wound up there, that i can't get to the bolts, but as soon as i get a lil off, thats what i'm gonna do! Thanks for lookin out guys. :xbeer1:
Bolt cutters suck because of their design (straight jaws). You need a tool (I wish I had a name and model #) that has curved jaws. Like an eagle claw and curved.They are small enough to get to all that wire shit wrapped tight around the axle. We use them at work to cut through braided steel cable with ease. My only other suggestion is a Dremmel with the metal cut-off tool. I hope this helps, but may be too late. Damn litterer's! My son and I did a little wheeling today and saw all kinds of partying litter. I have not problem with partying, just don't bust bottles and throw everything they had out there. And it hurts my 8-year-old's feelings when he see's this shit.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got some curved wire cutter things from wal mart, heavy duty things, they are for this crap. So once I get it close i'm gonna pop off the d shaft and get her outta there, i'll be sure to throw the damn mattress in the back of the truck so it don't happen to anyone else.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Fence tool- it has a side cutter that blows right through heavy wire/ chain-link fence. Just start cutting until you can drive out, then deal with it on higer ground.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
CWest said:
i got some curved wire cutter things from wal mart, heavy duty things, they are for this crap. So once I get it close i'm gonna pop off the d shaft and get her outta there, i'll be sure to throw the damn mattress in the back of the truck so it don't happen to anyone else.
Sounds like the one I was talking about. I'm just sorry that shit happened to you. I was hoping you wouldn't have to disco the d-shaft. Again, sorry. :(

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Angry Andy said:
Sounds like Red Dog to me. Nothing but garbage and trash and mud out there.

Tin snips, or bolt cutters should help you. Fuck, dykes should have done the job too, with persistance.

Or torches, but hopefully you dont set the whole place on fire while torching shit you should have never ran over in the first place.
I know some pretty tough dykes ;)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha, ya i got it out yesterday, took a while to snip em, then took hours to drive out, ended up goin down a crazy creek bed, while every one else tryed goin back up the muddy hill, turns out I am the only guy to get out, 2 stuck jeeps, one stuck yota and one ranger still out there, one jeep with a blown enigine.

Pics soon....

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok...

time line

Sat. 3 PM
Come down this road...

This is the road on the other side...keep in mind we drive up and down these all the time...

Sat 3:30
This spring mattress thing was in the mud, didn't see it and drove over it... :mad:

so i tried a crappy hack saw and some dikes, hack saw broke, dikes dulled over... mattress-1, chris's taco-0
its now 5:30 and gettin dark, we leave the trucks to go get better stuff, and come back at 7 AM

This is the veiw we got when walking down the road to start working agian...

shot of the springs cut away bout 50%

Pullin and cutin...

Road to get out now...

1st Attempt out...

Shitty Ass Mud...

Attempt 1000

I decided to try a new way, straight down the creek at the bottom of the valley...

took an hour and lots of spottng to get around boulders and down the 2 waterfalls... but it was fun

Here is a veiw once I drove all the way back around, from the top of the hill.
By this time we had a older yota, and 2 jeeps out there to get the ranger out who def couldn't make it down the creek. Red Jeep has a which... plan was to anchor red jeep to other jeep, and whinch out ranger...

halfway up, and gets high centered..

by this time it was gettin dark so we planned on comin out next day with a buddys f 350 with a 12 K whinch.

On the way out Red Jeep gets stuck, Jeep Cherokee blows engine by being stupid and reving through ruts...and other toyota slips all the way down the hill and has to drive out threw creek.

Day 3 has pics to come. But we got em all out. Jeep Cherokee is still up there, blown engine, but outta the ruts. I can see the Jeep from my window as I type up on the mountian. All in all, good times. Waitin till the ground dries up a lil before we head back out.

edit... and don't ya love our weather, white out snow at like 8 AM, sunny and no more snow at 5 PM... :confused:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
yeah i was gonna say that all looked dark and forboding as you were stuck but as you got closer and closer to being out through thte creek bed it got light, lighter, the sun broke out and you were free.

all in all though i give you guys props for a difficult recovery, screw mud, glad i live in socal:D

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
joel said:
Mud is the devil :xdevil:

Up here in central Oregon, we have sandy mud... which isn't really mud at all compared to like you have it. That shit reminds me of where I used to live in Norcal.
i am in K Falls... so. Or. But ya, that mud sucks ass, not saying any mud is good anywase....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts