TTORA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondering if folks know what relatively easy trails are accessible? I assume most of the Summit County trails are still snowed in (especially after today!) but I'm looking for some nice, scenic trails to go to that are day trips from the Denver area. Tried to do Gold Camp Road to Cripple Creek this past Sunday, only to find that the road is closed! WTF! :mad: Maybe they're doing construction? Or did part of it get washed away in the rain last year? I haven't done Gold Camp since 1986 and was looking forward to it! Tried to find some other way from 115 over to Phantom Canyon road but couldn't - everything was locked up or posted "no trespassing."

Also, does anyone know when it might be a good time to try Medano Pass over the Sangre de Cristos? Looking at the Sangres last weekend they looked pretty deep in snow, but some folks have said that Southern Colorado didn't get as much snow this year as usual.

I'm really itching to get out there and ride some spectacular trails, but with all the snow we've gotten on the front range it looks like I may have to wait until July to get up there! :(

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
To my knowledge, nothing scenic is open. We have done Bunce School Rd (up to the seasonal gate anyways) and LH Carnage a couple times with no snow issues.

Reports on co4x4 said Slaughterhouse was runnable, and I thought I had just read that somebody had run Switzerland Trail, but haven't been up there myself.

Radio said anything over 6000' was getting snow, and over 8000' was getting hammered, so we may be in a 1 step forward 2 step back situation right now...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm gonna be camping at the Sand Dunes around the 19th, and plan on trying to get as far as I can up Medano. Hopefully the sun will do some shining over the next few weeks. I"ll let you know what I find.

If anyone is going to be in the Sand Dunes area on the 19th, lemme know if you want to give it a run.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Jacket you have to let us now how that goes. I owe Spindlechanks and Tad2dguy a medano trip this summer!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would the first weekend of June be a good time to hit Medano? That's when I was thinking of going. GF is a fly fisher, and I was thinking we'd go down to the Ark. River near Salida, spend the day fishing, then head up to the East side of Medano, find a campground, camp out that night and then hit the pass and Sand Dunes the next day.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Medano usually doesn't fully open until Memorial weekend. You can drive from hwy 69 and make it up a couple of miles but there is a gate that seperates the national park preverve and the trail.

My friends and I usually camp on Medano every memorial. We are going somewhere else this year. The trail sees quite a bit of traffic on it closer to the sands dunes side and every other SUV on street tires and street pressure is stuck. Fun times :D

I've been over Medano 10+ times so if you have any questions, shoot them my way!

·
Registered
898 Posts
cascade creek

if you take 70W to idaho springs, get on highway 103 and head south. about 5 miles off 70 you'll see Ute creek rd then the next road is cascade creek. i ran it in my stocko and with a stock heep. we did pretty good, but stopped because of the snow. (we had no recovery gear, just a couple noobs) it was fun and easy and with straps im sure you could get a lot farther. just my :2cents:

henry

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Hanksyota- you did this trail recently??

·
Registered
898 Posts
heck yeah

yeah dude , but this was on saturday before evergreen and idaho springs got 26 inches. so, i dont know how good it will be this weekend. its supposed to be in the 70's so, probably a mud fest. and definitely some snow at altitude. we can try it if you guys want. let me know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you take 70W to idaho springs, get on highway 103 and head south. about 5 miles off 70 you'll see Ute creek rd then the next road is cascade creek. i ran it in my stocko and with a stock heep. we did pretty good, but stopped because of the snow. (we had no recovery gear, just a couple noobs) it was fun and easy and with straps im sure you could get a lot farther. just my :2cents:

henry
I think I was actually on that trail once before, about 26 years ago! I remember going up 103 towards Mount Evans and turning off somewhere before Echo Lake. The trail took us around to a big rock field where we did some shooting. That was 1981, and my vehicle was a 1957 International Travelall 4x4. Makes me feel old! :D Anyway, I've wanted to go back up there for a while but after the snow we had this week, I'm guessing it will be a little sketchy for a while.

·
Registered
898 Posts
in 1981...

in 1981 i was negative 3. i might head up there with a buddy and scope it out tomorrow. i will keep you updated, if anyone is up to just prerun PM me with your number and we can setup something. im probably going tomorrow if at all, cuz im going to mile high flea market on sunday. once again, if anyone is interested in scoping it out/prerun or even going to the flea, let me know.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Hey I'll PM you My digits. Not sure what Troy and I have planned. We might just bike-ride tomorrow... (Sat)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I've been stalking this thread... Sat is wrenching day (new muffler-back, Bandi mount, on-board air and some wiring) and I'm tempted to come down Sunday to see some friends and family...

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Ok now you are temping Troy and I to find something to do.. LOL At least meet up for dinner neh?

·
Registered
898 Posts
hey, im hungry too

keep me informed guys. im up to just meet some local yota people and eat good food. molly or troy, just give me a holler. im sure we will be talking this weekend anyway. later folks.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Hey - repost of snow depth sensors from YT

BUT there is another way to check snow depth. There are water gaging stations throughout Colorado that report on snow depth... (SNOTEL) and if you can find out the closest station - check and see if you can tell what aspect it faces (North or South will make a big difference) and then elevation and get a good idea of what the snow depth might be like.

Colorado sensors are here: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/.../colorado.html

They data pages are kind of hard to read but search around and you'll get the idea.

Snow depth for Echo Lake which is below Mount Evans at 10,600 feet is currently at 50 inches. Scroll down looking at the date and you will see with this recent storm the snow depth has gone up!
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sn...ays=7&state=CO

This is Jackwhacker Gulch - I think the closest Snotel sensor to Argentine pass and it says 48" http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sn...ays=7&state=CO

I can't seem to tell what the aspect of this station is - but judging by the picture I think it is on a North/East facing slope.

Hope this helps! Have a great day if you all do go!

·
Registered
898 Posts
cascade creek

i did cascade creek again, and got a lot farther. all the way to the mine. could've kept going, but the dirt bike i was with wasn't feeling the steep rocky section that was ahead. the stock tacoma did very well. its a fun trail, nice views, not too hard at all. so might not be your guys' style. im out of town this weekend, but would love to do it again, next weekend. dont have the time to do another trip report right now, so here is the link from yotatech.

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=115080

anyone wanna do it 19th or 20th?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.