TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i am thinking about doing a sas. I was wandering what type of axel i should get for a 98 std cab. I was told that i couldnt go with the straight axel out of the old 85 and older year toyotas for some reason. Is this true and if so what type of axel should i be looking to get? thanks alot
greg

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
the older toy axle wont work 'cause the diff is on the wrong side.
the common sas is a dana 44.from a waggoneer or a ford(i think)

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
reg98toytaco said:
Hey i am thinking about doing a sas. I was wandering what type of axel i should get for a 98 std cab. I was told that i couldnt go with the straight axel out of the old 85 and older year toyotas for some reason. Is this true and if so what type of axel should i be looking to get? thanks alot
greg
Lots of us used dana 44 axles out from under early 80's Jeep Wagoneers.

If you're thinking about an axle swap, there's lots more to think about than just the axle. There is tons of info floating around here.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
229 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but you can use an earlier model toy axle if you switch to an old style 4cyl chain drive case, like if you were going to use a marlin crawler duel case setup w/ 2 4cyl cases. that would put your front drive shaft on the correct side. for all practical purposes though just go w/ a dana 44.

·
Registered
147 Posts
And an early yota axle is 55.5" wide. Where as you are currently 61" wide in the front. These are the 2 biggest reasons we build fabricated toy housings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts