TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a regular cab tacoma with the V6 and was going to rework the front with Bilstiens and was wondering about the type of coils. Someone out there has some progresive coils, but I have heard they loose it after a while. I have also been considering OME's. I don't have any lift currrently and don't plan on it. I would like a good ride and handling.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If you're not in it for super harsh going, and want a little lift with a bilstien, Call Downey off road, or downey offroad.com. They use a large body rebuildable bilstien, and have a 600lb spring on them. They are easy to install yourself, and cost a little less than most other setups. I have had them for a while, the spring is for sure firmer, and the shock action is way better than stock. Mine will be up to bat soon, long travel kit is comin' after the new year.... also, check with a guy on this forum named Demello. He has a shop, and does lots of swayaway setups, which are the most affordable of the aluminum bodied coilovers. Either way, they beat the fabtech kit, which is NOT rebuildable. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

That sounds about what I need. I may put a winch on in the future and the better springs I'm sure would help. I have a friend who put on this great bumper and winch and his front sags.

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Good to know; some guys won't ever fly their rides, and don't have the budget to justify some of the real expensive stuff. I know we will catch hell for recommending the "lesser" stuff from time to time, but they sure seem to do allright for most situations. Either way, ductaco would be happy, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
ducktaco said:
I have a regular cab tacoma with the V6 and was going to rework the front with Bilstiens and was wondering about the type of coils. Someone out there has some progresive coils, but I have heard they loose it after a while. I have also been considering OME's. I don't have any lift currrently and don't plan on it. I would like a good ride and handling.
Good Riding and Good Handling = Coil over replacement. Camburg and Donahoe both make a nice coil over.

·
Registered
588 Posts
rojodiablo said:
If you're not in it for super harsh going, and want a little lift with a bilstien, Call Downey off road, or downey offroad.com. They use a large body rebuildable bilstien, and have a 600lb spring on them. They are easy to install yourself, and cost a little less than most other setups. I have had them for a while, the spring is for sure firmer, and the shock action is way better than stock. Mine will be up to bat soon, long travel kit is comin' after the new year.... also, check with a guy on this forum named Demello. He has a shop, and does lots of swayaway setups, which are the most affordable of the aluminum bodied coilovers. Either way, they beat the fabtech kit, which is NOT rebuildable. Good luck.
The Basic kit is not. The Performance kit is. I have the performance kit and am very happy with it on road and off.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
ducktaco said:
for good ride/handling try OME 880s; they will give you maybe 1/2" of lift which will help level out your truck. Their N91 shocks are recommended but the Bilstein HD shocks will work fine with those coils. OE shocks won't dampen them, however.
another source for coils is Elbach which makes them in different load ratings and lengths. just get OE length but a little heavier rate like 500-600#. Camburg.com has these

If you have a little more $ to play with, however, go right to adjustable coilovers like Sway Away, King or Donahoe. They come from the factory cranked for 2" of lift but you can just crank them down to whatever you want.
Fabtec and Downey also have adjustables for a little less $.

you'll need to re-do the rear shocks to balance things out handling wise...Bilstein HDs for that.
Wheelers has all of the OME and Bilstein stuff and Demello for Bilstein and the coilovers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have used North West Offroads progressive rate coils before, and just bought some for my newer truck. They seemed to be good enough for me, but they were really a bear to install. Broke my spring compressor on the last one and had to cut it off. Fortunately everything was ok, but this time I am going to just pay somebody to do it. Anyone in my So. Cal area want to make a few extra bucks doing it for me let me know.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
TheChiefSinner said:
I have used North West Offroads progressive rate coils before, and just bought some for my newer truck. They seemed to be good enough for me, but they were really a bear to install. Broke my spring compressor on the last one and had to cut it off. Fortunately everything was ok, but this time I am going to just pay somebody to do it. Anyone in my So. Cal area want to make a few extra bucks doing it for me let me know.
I bought those for my first lift. they are WAY too stiff for a 2.7, IMO. I was able to clear my 33x10.50s and was never able to get them to rub any part of the fenders with only 2" of lift. Why? because they were so darn stiff that up-travel was greatly limited. The truck rode pretty rough as well.
the OME 882s that I went with next were a dream compared to them and now the SAWs are even better ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts