TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 1 owner truck out of Nevada with only 18k miles. The only thing I can see that it needs is tires, and maybe some new wheels (I don't like the factory chrome hubcap/steel wheel combo).

http://tinyurl.com/2wym5e

The dealer wants $20,799 for it right now. What, in your opinion, would be the maximum price to pay for this truck? I have a feeling it will be tough talking them down much......it really is perfect, I don't think anything but groceries have been in the bed.

This dealer includes a 75k powertrain warranty on it, should I care? I was under the impression that Tacomas had a 100k powertrain warranty anyway. They also include free oil changes for life.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Just in case the link doesnt work:
2004 PreRunner Double Cab
Impulse Red
18k miles
TRD
Towing package
Power appointments
Color matched shell
Bedliner
Running boards (coming off :)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Personally, I would not buy a truck without 4 wheel drive. But if you must, check kbb.com.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wont use 4x4 myself, this one has the TRD package which is fine w/ me.

KBB.com: $24,480
Edmonds: $22,677
NADA: $22,850

I know it will be hard to talk them down from their asking price of $20,799, but I think I should try!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I was going to say that the asking price of $20,799 sounds about right for a Dealership. You might get them to come down a little bit if you have a serious offer with a decent down-payment.

If they want to be dick-heads, tell them that you don't even want the shell, or the stupid side steps, and that they can keep those. OR - you can just sell them your self after you buy the truck, and recoup some of your money.

It's a nice truck with low mileage. Good find.

one.person said:
I wont use 4x4 myself, this one has the TRD package which is fine w/ me.
That's what I said when I bought my PreRunner!:doh:

·
Registered
401 Posts
dont use kbb or anything...

i think since the new gen tacos came out, in my eyes the older ones should have dropped in price.

plus, i dont think a 2wd taco thats nearly 4 years old is worth 20-21k even with a locker, specially since you have get a new one for like 5-7k more

just my :2cents:

·
Registered
456 Posts
That's about what I paid for my four wheel drive extracab new in 03.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"If they want to be dick-heads, tell them that you don't even want the shell, or the stupid side steps, and that they can keep those."

That is good advice, I was thinking that the only real negotiating power I had was with the worn tires and crappy chrome wheelcovers. I am gonna try that "I dont want the extra crap" on it method......

I have been watching the market on these trucks for 6 months or more. This is definitely the lowest mileage 01-04 DC I have seen. There are a few others out there like it, but they all have more miles, and higher prices (like 23-24k), so I think this is a decent deal...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
"If they want to be dick-heads, tell them that you don't even want the shell, or the stupid side steps, and that they can keep those."

That is good advice, I was thinking that the only real negotiating power I had was with the worn tires and crappy chrome wheelcovers. I am gonna try that "I dont want the extra crap" on it method......

I have been watching the market on these trucks for 6 months or more. This is definitely the lowest mileage 01-04 DC I have seen. There are a few others out there like it, but they all have more miles, and higher prices (like 23-24k), so I think this is a decent deal...
use the quote button

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
In not too long, i will be looking for something relative to this. I can promise you i would not pay 21K for it though. Thats close to what they were new! I dont even know why anyone would look at a dealer in the first place. If you buy from a private seller, you can avoid sales tax and you will get more history on the truck.

For example, i was checking out this 4 runner a few weeks ago. I was talking to the owner, a 19yearold college kid. I was asking him some questions to see if i could trick him into telling me. I asked him questions like, "how fast is it top end?" and "have you taken it off road? How did it do?" Then, he will tell you the truth. He knew how fast it went and had taken it offroad. This gave me the idea that the truck hadn't been babied. Look out for these things.

You have me confused, saying how you like the shell and stuff. This would mean you prolly want to camping (which would be offroad) but then saying you dont want 4wd.

Then saying the step bars would be coming off, which would make me think you wanted sliders, but no 4wd. :confused: :confused:

My only other thought is, why are the tires almost bald when they only have 18K on them! Even most SS tires will last longer than that!!!:confused: :confused: again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definitely cannot get away from sales tax even from a private seller, not in WA State.

I like your techniques for getting history through trick questions, very sly, I will remember that!

I didnt say I like the shell, I really dont care about it actually. I probably wont take it off, but if I pretend like I dont want it, maybe I can talk the dealer down? Worth trying....

I will take it camping, but I wont go far offroad to get there. The worst case scenario this truck will see under my ownership will be a forest service road to a well maintained trailhead, basically places my Honda Civic could probably make it to.

The step bars will come off just because I dont like the way they look, that is all.

About the tires, I am not sure. They are not almost bald, but I am guessing by the time I put another 4-5k miles on them they will need replacing. They are evenly worn, just not a ton of tread left.

Normally I would look for a private seller too, but I am attracted to the very low miles on this one....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK LostSol, you say its too much, and that is fine, but the thread question is: What would you pay for this truck?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
You must be stoned! WAY TO HIGH!!!! People say prices in California are high, but in yesterdays paper from a Stealership:

07 PRERUNNER DC
AUTO,AC, PW, PDL
TILT, CRUISE, CD
KEYLESS ENTRY
TRD, V6, TOW PKG
for the so called outrages price that California charges:
:rofl: :lmao: :xcrazy: :banghead: :xpfft: $22,479 :xpfft: :banghead: :xcrazy: :lmao: :rofl:

This is my :2cents:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gsmsnuffy, I can assure you I am not stoned. Thats great about that '07 you saw, but I do not want an '07. I am only in the market for an 01-04 DC, period. We all know these trucks hold their value very well, which is partially why we own them.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If it were me i would go in there and offer them 19000 and if they tell you they cant do it for that price, than give them your phone number and tell them to call you when they can do it for that price and walk away. if you dont need the side steps or the shell tell them they can keep them. If there a smart dealer they will stop you before you get back to your car and say lets see what we can do. Thats just my :2cents: Good luck.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
gsmsnuffy, I can assure you I am not stoned. Thats great about that '07 you saw, but I do not want an '07. I am only in the market for an 01-04 DC, period. We all know these trucks hold their value very well, which is partially why we own them.
Your right. i was just picking on you. If your happy with what you pay for what you get, then that's what counts. I like the 01-04 10X's better than the newer model.
PS: The rims on that rig are not steel with covers. They are the factory 16" Aluminum rims

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually they are steel wheels with chrome covers, I drove it yesterday. The pics sure do look like the normal 16" alloys, so I was pretty surprised to see that they were chrome when I got there. Then when I bent down to inspect them I was even more surprised that they were plastic wheel covers! Butt ugly if you ask me....a real turn off but I think I can get regular alloys no problem later.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Actually they are steel wheels with chrome covers, I drove it yesterday. The pics sure do look like the normal 16" alloys, so I was pretty surprised to see that they were chrome when I got there. Then when I bent down to inspect them I was even more surprised that they were plastic wheel covers! Butt ugly if you ask me....a real turn off but I think I can get regular alloys no problem later.
Yeah, 3 holes in the rims?

Hm, I've never seen a TRD with those.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
That is good advice, I was thinking that the only real negotiating power I had was with the worn tires and crappy chrome wheelcovers.
The fact that you don't like the wheels doesn't mean anything in the negotiations. Worn tires, maybe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, 3 holes in the rims?

Hm, I've never seen a TRD with those.
Yeah, neither have I, the thing is they look just like the regular factory ones, only they are chrome plastic! Check those pics in the link above. In the pic of the wheel itself it looks just like factory. In the whole truck pics they look a little more polished than normal.

Definitely weird (and ugly in person). It does have the locker and the TRD sticker, so I am assuming it has the full TRD package.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts