TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I put a cornfed diff drop on my truck. It tilts the front diff forward or lower by 3/4" so the cv shafts are at a more shallow angle out to the front wheels. This saves wear and tear on the cv boots over no diff drop.

Diff drops are not necessary with stock height vehicles...most beneficial for trucks with suspension lifts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Out of curiousity, how can the diff drop reduce angles on some trucks, but not all? I thought they were built the same.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Where are the smileys on the WYSIWYG editor?

Edit: Nevermind, I found them. They were hiding. :blowjob:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
DorianJ said:
Out of curiousity, how can the diff drop reduce angles on some trucks, but not all? I thought they were built the same.

cuz some use better measureing devices ;)

It is my understanding (from an interesting post a while back) that the amount of CV angle deflection can actually be measured...with a micrometer ;)

anything less than 1.5" does little or nothing and going that far will cause a multitude of other problems.

the name 'diff drop' is a misnomer since only the front portion of the diff is lowered using the rear mount bolt/bushing as a pivot point, not good for either. The other main problem you wind up with is screwing up the front pinion angle creating high-speed vibes..also not good.

The TRUE 'diff drop'
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/vids/Josh's%20SAS/final%20drop%20-1.wmv

·
Registered
662 Posts
tacd44 said:
:soapbox: It's the axle CV angle, not the drive shaft. When IFS is lifted the diff is rasied, but the axle shafts & spindles stay at the same height. Diff drops are usually only used on 3" or more lifts.
Yes, but it only lowers the front off the diff, which in turn, puts the diff at a different angle than it was before. The bolt that hytenor mentioned as the pivot point managed to sheer off on my truck, and now I have a gouge in my tranny.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
About this Discussion
71 Replies
25 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing