TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a good CB radio, thats moderatly priced, but works well, I dont need anything fancy, just a basic CB. thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got a cobra for $30.00, works great with the fire stick!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
What's a good CB radio, thats moderatly priced, but works well, I dont need anything fancy, just a basic CB. thanks
I'm running a Uniden PC66XL, that's been tweek and peek to a K40 3' mag mount. Wallcott CB (off I-80 just west of Davenport, Iowa) did my work. The only mod is an Astaic 636-L Mic. All together I have spent approx $350. I can say my unit is 95% better than 95% of the people who run CB's around here. If you want to run an amp or leanier then you have range. Whatever you get and if you have it tweek and peek, the best out put for a CB is 7 1/2 watts. :2cents:
From what I know the Firestick was one of the best antenna's. They had an antenna that didn't need to be calabrated to your unit. It was kind of self tuning?
What I've heard now also is the Wilson 200/300 or 2000/3000 is the best nowadays.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Uniden Pro510 and Cobra 19 for small and cheap. Less than half the price and half the mounting convenience of the Cobra 75WXST.

The PC66, PC68 and PC78 model Cobras are better units but three times or more larger and inconvenient to mount. If they're properly aligned, peaked and tuned the stock microphone is more than adequate where performance is concerned.

As for antennas, I run only 102" steel, Wilson 1000, and Hustler HQ-27 models.

Walcott is a great place and I purchase there frequently.

I'm a 5%er.:D

·
Registered
779 Posts
how many threads on 'good cb's' ?!?!?! :doh:

uniden is decent when tuned btw :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had many models and think my Cobra 75WXST is best yet.

Really like that it's all intergrated into hand held unity, quick detach and hide away.

·
Registered
779 Posts
cobra is gonna be the one you hear the most about.. the nike of cbs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
407 Posts
If my Tram Diamond 60 wasn't so damned big it would be in the Taco. I bought it new in the 70s, got rid of it once and bought it back two weeks later. It's quietly rested in a nice padded box since I sold my last tow rig. They aren't powerhouses but they have killer tx/rx audio quality that no Cobra can touch nor anything else can touch.

I'm buried in equipment but I choose to run a Uniden Pro510. It's small but sounds big, and it was cheap. It's my #1 recommendation.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If my Tram Diamond 60 wasn't so damned big it would be in the Taco. I bought it new in the 70s, got rid of it once and bought it back two weeks later. It's quietly rested in a nice padded box since I sold my last tow rig. They aren't powerhouses but they have killer tx/rx audio quality that no Cobra can touch nor anything else can touch.

I'm buried in equipment but I choose to run a Uniden Pro510. It's small but sounds big, and it was cheap. It's my #1 recommendation.

Do you have pics of where you mounted it? I have the Pro520 (same size as yours) and have been struggling with where/how to mount it. I don't want to put it on the passenger side of the center console. I want the install to be clean and out of harms way. Thanks.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do you have pics of where you mounted it? I have the Pro520 (same size as yours) and have been struggling with where/how to mount it. I don't want to put it on the passenger side of the center console. I want the install to be clean and out of harms way. Thanks.
I haven't decided whether or not to permanently mount it. I just threw it in the center console box and have an external speaker and mic hanging out and dangling by the wires.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I haven't decided whether or not to permanently mount it. I just threw it in the center console box and have an external speaker and mic hanging out and dangling by the wires.

Cool, thanks. Yeah I haven't mounted mine but mainly because I can't figure out where to put it. I had it mounted where the ashtray goes in my '02, but this new truck doesn't have that option. I was thinking about the hole in front of the shifter but I would probably have to get an aux. speaker or a cb with a front firing speaker. I guess I'll keep pondering.:)

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,523 Posts
Whatever you get and if you have it tweek and peek, the best out put for a CB is 7 1/2 watts. :2cents:
I'll take my 15 watts and pout in the corner then...
From what I know the Firestick was one of the best antenna's. They had an antenna that didn't need to be calabrated to your unit. It was kind of self tuning?
There is no such thing as a self tuning antenna. There are however antennas that are pre-tuned for certain bands. In any case, EVERY antenna should be checked with an SWR meter following installation.
What I've heard now also is the Wilson 200/300 or 2000/3000 is the best nowadays.
Wilson 1000 or 5000 are the best coil loaded mag mount antennas IMHO.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I'll take my 15 watts and pout in the corner then...

There is no such thing as a self tuning antenna. There are however antennas that are pre-tuned for certain bands. In any case, EVERY antenna should be checked with an SWR meter following installation.

Wilson 1000 or 5000 are the best coil loaded mag mount antennas IMHO.
For an internal power source, 7 1/2 watts is the optimon output for clearity and longivity. If 15 watts is the best? Then why is it the PROs tweek and peek units to 7 1/2 watts (ie: Walcotts)?

The original FireStick was made to install with no tuning required. That was their claim to fame in the early 90's. They where the best for that application in that time. Yes for the optimun perforance, tweeking and peeking is the way to go.

Yes Wilson is good nowadays. I'll keep my K-40 from old day's. It's proven for us old timers and been set to my unit.

And if you looked at the original title: What's a good CB? you would know that:
Opinions R like Aholes, every1 has 1 & they all stink

·
Registered
718 Posts

i have had this CB for almost as long as i have had my truck. it is the Uniden PRO 520XL, and i love it. since i have an after market stereo i had the space to install it in my dash. i have an external speaker above the driver's side kick plate. it is loud enough for me to hear over my sub with the windows down at freeway speeds.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
x10 on the Cobra 75WXST..Hidden mounting of the "box" and doesn't get on the way of anything.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I mounted my Pro510XL yesterday....on the back of the console box in the passenger footwell area. I'm in a rush because of an event this weekend, so I just stuck a ciglighter plug on the power cord and am using the accessory +12V dash outlet. I took time with the antenna.

Curiously, the ARB 3500090 bracket didn't work out on my bull bar. Too much paint on the hoop and bracket to deal with (inadequate ground/high VSWR) so I fabbed a bracket and mounted the antenna on my Hi-Lift mast. That gave me under 1.5/1 across all 40 channels after I trimmed an inch off the stinger.

I routed the coax through the grille, down the right frame member, up through a body plug, under the carpet and out the hole the passenger seatbelt wires go through. Now I can go anywhere with the coax when I permanently mount the CB.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Got a uniden pro520xl mounted in the ashtray location that works good for me. The only problem is where the mic cord comes out it is a little tight when shifting the t case but thats no big deal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts