TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 toyota 3.0 with a warn 8000. my buddy rolled his f250 quad cab 4x4 tonite on its side. im not sure what his vehicle curb weight is. but does anyone have any idea if my winch will b enought to roll him back over. I dont know how to tell how much is to much for my winch and dont want to burn it out thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
yeah it;ll work

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
read this post
Fundamentally same concept
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57432

It will be a basic side pull
Use a couple snatch blocks for a double or triple line pull -
It will be relatively easy to tip the vehicle to an upright position if they have sliders. - If not use a couple tree straps around the frame

·
Registered
892 Posts
A winch is ideal ....

Take some time to think about the situation and the 'direction' of pull to right the vehicle..... You don't want to cause any further damage and you certainly want to keep everyone safe while doing it.

Having a snatch block is nice to have because chances are - you won't be able to line up your rig for a straight pull. You may also want to use straps for safety.

In this situation - It was an extreme downhill trail (down schoolbus in Tellico) We needed to pull from the top. Used a winch and snatch block from the left side and hooked it to the straps that were hooked to the rollbar. We couldn't get a secondary winch or straps on the rear to prevent it from rolling downhill after it was on 4 wheels. I was inside the jeep while they were pulling it - and had to turn the wheels and apply the brakes.

When you finally do put the rig back on 4 wheels...You wanna treat this the same as you would a 'hydrolocked' engine. Pull the plugs and check for oil in the cylinders. Or - to be completely SAFE - pull all plugs and cycle the motor. If you've got oil in there, it'll come shooting out....

·
Registered
449 Posts
I do a little hardcore wheeling and it seems like we have at least one flop every trip, sometimes 2 or 3. The ideal way to get it back on its wheels is to have 7-10 guys around to push it back over. With people, they lift when it needs lifting and pull when it needs pulling. With a winch, you might slide on its side for a bit before it catches and rolls over.

Having said that, an M8000 is easily up to the job. That's what I use and I've lost count of how many times I've pulled rigs (including myself) back on to their wheels.

BTW, use a tree saver to hook up to the truck, probably on the far side of the frame. Without it your wire rope will kink and always be weaker or your synth rope might catch something sharp and get cut.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Rolling a vehicle back over doesn't take a whole lot of winch power. Hell, they can normally roll jeeps back over with a few guys pushing.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
… they can normally roll jeeps back over with a few guys pushing.
yea that is one of those "jeep things" I obviously don't understand! and it usually happens just outside the parking lot so it is easier to manipulate around the jeep.

·
Banned
262 Posts
I winched out of this flop using my 8274 snatched off a tree, it didn't stress my winch in the least.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
ive seen everything from tow-strapping the vehicle to a tree all the way to putting the vehicle on the opposite side of the tree. Usually its enough to just put your tires in a big enough rut to keep the vehicle from moving.

BTW i dont have a winch

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Those of you with winches, how do you winch? Do you leave it in park(auto) or nuetral? Do you use the brakes?
I have a 5 spd-
So I leave it in neutral, with E-brake, and foot on brakes
(Unless its a self recovery)

Often times we will have a secondary vehicle as an anchor

During one recovery , I chocked by front tires with a pair of orange plastic Wally world chocks. When I started, the chocks were in front of my tires-
When I finished- the plastic chocks were behind/underneath my tires. lol

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Those of you with winches, how do you winch? Do you leave it in park(auto) or nuetral? Do you use the brakes?
I haven't had my winch very long (actually used it only on last trip out) but I have been involved with "a few" winch recoveries.

Typically I like to block my truck off by placing the front bumper behind/between trees so that the counter force is pulling my truck toward/into the tree.

If a tree is not available or winching vehicle is in open. it is best to anchor with an additional vehicle strapped to the rear of the working rig. In addition the driver of the rig with winch is typically in Park (automatic) or in nuetral (5 speed) with foot on brake ie. how Grill master described.

another additional piece of information that is helpful, is to keep your RPM's slightly elevated. I typically set my hand throttle to keep the RPM's at 2500-3000. And even on the last trip where I used my winch more than I wheeled, I still ran my battery down low enough to almost kill my motor. Had to stop winching a few times to recharge the battery.

I carry wheel chalks with me, but I have found out in the "field" they do little as they will slide with enough force applied to the winch.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
The angle makes it look worse, believe me, we know what the fawk we are doing :D

It's made out of steel :rolleyes:
I am sure that the picture (angle) makes it look worse-

I am not criticizing your recovery methods - Just challenging Lindsays comment.

- just because because the winchline is synth does not take away the fact that the tree strap is technically storing kinetic energy during the pull.
Worst case scenario- the synth fails - the tree strap could slingshot that snatch block

·
Registered
892 Posts
Personally - I would not recommend having a *bunch of guys* push a vehicle over.... that's unsafe.

If nobody has a winch - hook up a tow strap to another vehicle and pull it over.

You don't need to take any chances of peeps getting hurt.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts