TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I was in Colorado and went on a rock climbing excursion with a friend of mine. Not my thing at all and by the time we got back his truck looked like it went through a meat grinder but he loves it and that's what counts.
I like the mud trails in the mountains, swamps, mud holes and where the river beds are the road for miles. Getting stuck and winching each other out . The roads we use are all old coal mining and logging roads and we have the permission of the company that owns them (but sadly, not for long) They are leasing the land to hunting clubs.
Anyway, what is your favorite off road thing? Never been to Baha( ? spelling) but I hear that's a real trip! Makes me wish I lived in southern Cal. Mike

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Baha = Baja

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
advise = advice ^

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like trails more than anything. Especially trails that have a combination of different terrain from rocks to hill climbs. Never did like mud all that much because there's not a whole lot of technical skill to mud bogging and it's a pain to get off parts and stuff. I'd rather do something that requires some thinking as opposed to just flogging it to see how far you can go.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I started being into trail riding. I loved going through the woods, eating lunch in the trees, etc. Since then I've moved to enjoy the obstacles and the camping. My ideal places now have easy access to get a tow rig near the obstacles so I can drag my buggy back on the trailer in case something really breaks. Also, I like it cold enough that everybody huddles near the campfire to keep warm and tell lies.

Trails are still fun but doing anything really hard when you know it would be 10 hours of labor to drag a broken buggy through the trails takes away from pushing the limits.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My favorite is mud in somebody elses vehicle. Next would be a casual trail ride with camping along the way. Last but maybe the biggest rush would be trying some crazy rock line that you know can get real ugly real quick.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I like a combo of a few things, first, its got to be a weekend trip (camping), some rocks, a little mud to get to the trails never hurt me, and some technical stuff. Don't want to get to crazy where I might break something major :scared: - its my DD. But if I had rig just for the trails, I'd go more hardcore.

:xbeer1: :camping: :driving:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Strange. Oh wait, you said trail thing...

yeah, still strange.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I enjoy general trailriding; some of everything. What I miss because of my location is high-speed desert running. I was a back country patrolman with the USNPS at Big Bend National Park and it was my all time favorite job. This year, if the opportunity arises again, I may make it to Baja with a team. Previously, work demands have prevented me from signing on....not that my applications would necessarily have been approved otherwise.

My wheeling friends are really committed and driven, they wheel constantly from daylight to after dark, downing a sandwich and bottles of water at the wheel. They don't stop until they get hung up or break something. Hey, there's a boulder the size of my house, let's drive over it. I'm not into that. I like to stop and take in the scenery....leisurely wheeling. I enjoy the mental part more than actually attacking obstacles....lining out the easiest routes around obstacles.

What I enjoy most are recovery and wrenching aspects. I tool up for every run and actually spend more time at base camp helping others perform repairs; and run back and forth doing recoveries and strapping broken rigs back for inspection and repair.

Finally but not the least significant is the camaradery. Meeting new people and spending time with them and fellow club members who have become my second family over the years. I can think of no better way to get away from the job and daily grind than a long weekend out on the trails with my club.

I'm off in a new direction now. Instead of finding me beating the shit out of my rig you'll be more than likely to find me with the noobs. A few years back I got really pissed over equipment requirements denying the new folks a chance to participate in our events. Riding shotgun can be fun and it's surely educational, but it's nowhere nearly as rewarding as holding your own steering wheel and putting your own vehicle to the test. I find it personally rewarding to lead a group of noobs out into areas where they can safely wheel their stock/lightly modded rigs without incurring any significant damage.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
its gotta have a destination like a surf spot, or good fishing, or good fish tacos(baja)
that is fun
Mike

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I would have to say trail riding. Living in central Fl. you can be going down a road that is dry and full of sugar sand in one spot, and then going through the middle of a swamp in another. I love to hunt and fish so any time I get to go ride through the woods someplace I have never been before is fun to me. Sometimes the people behind me might get sick of me stopping to look at deer and hog tracks, but thats life.lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts