TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a rear u-bolt flip kit from Trail Gear today. At first everything looked decent, until I tried to install it. The ubolts are waaaaay bigger than my axle tube. They are like 1" bigger on the width. I called them up and said what are these for a Dana 60? and they said they use those on all of their kits. I never in my life have seen u-bolts that are way to big be used on a axle. I was always tought that they should fit snug around the axle tube.

What gives here? Is this how all these flip kits are? SHould I send this thing back where it came from and shop elsewhere for one that actually is made for a Toyota not 1 size fits all?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Mine are from SKY and I had to beat them on with a hammer and pry them back together to go through the cap holes.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
fullauto4u said:
I just got a rear u-bolt flip kit from Trail Gear today. At first everything looked decent, until I tried to install it. The ubolts are waaaaay bigger than my axle tube. They are like 1" bigger on the width. I called them up and said what are these for a Dana 60? and they said they use those on all of their kits. I never in my life have seen u-bolts that are way to big be used on a axle. I was always tought that they should fit snug around the axle tube.

What gives here? Is this how all these flip kits are? SHould I send this thing back where it came from and shop elsewhere for one that actually is made for a Toyota not 1 size fits all?

It would seem to me that with as much torque that is applied to those bolts -both through the install and driving on trails- that if all that force were applied only to a small section of the bottom of the axle housing, that could cause it to fail... Yeah, I'd want those u-bolts to hug that housing for as much of the bottom half of the housing that you can get!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
What I've heard on Ubolts is same as you- definately want them snug.
I got my ubolts from a spring shop, based on actual axle measurements then cut my allpro flip plates up to make them work.
If Sky fits that nice, might be a good option though.

Advice I got from the spring guy was basically ubolts snug to the axle, tall nut with washer, and minimum 1" thread through nut when tight.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wes said:
What I've heard on Ubolts is same as you- definately want them snug.
I got my ubolts from a spring shop, based on actual axle measurements then cut my allpro flip plates up to make them work.
If Sky fits that nice, might be a good option though.

Advice I got from the spring guy was basically ubolts snug to the axle, tall nut with washer, and minimum 1" thread through nut when tight.
That's the same as I was tought. I'm going to send this shit back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know if the Marling Crawler kits have the correct size u-bolts? It looks like they may sell the same stuff as TG ?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Why look a gift horse in the mouth... Sky just got a prop ?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Yea man I love everything I got from Sky. U-bolts for my front HP44 and for my toyota rear. Both were as tight as tight gets. Nuts are very tall and there is actually some to cut off the bolts. I cut 2" off the front U-bolts.

I would have to say that if they were 1 mil. skinnier they wouldnt go without a sledge.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Except for that ugly ass housing I get the impression that they make really good stuff.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Im trying to remember what I got there.

I think my IFS box, billet pitman, chevy hanger kit w/ u/b flip, front shackle hangers and front U-bolts. damn good parts so far.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Wonder how good of a deal we could get for propping their props?
I sure could use some 1ton steering stuff ;)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
What year is the axle? I thought that some early axles had smaller diameter tubes than most of the later ones. Either way I have a sky u bolt flip on my rear axle and a trail gear one on the front and they are both great.

·
Registered
286 Posts
yea, 86 and later rear axles are wider...duh

and thicker in diameter...

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I helped a buddy install one of those kits and it worked fine. Once you put 100 lbs of torque on them and drive around the block they fit fine. Just retorque them for piece of mind.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Call TG and speak to them. They will make it right (more than likely at no charge to you)

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
CronusTRD said:
Call TG and speak to them. They will make it right (more than likely at no charge to you)
fullauto4u said:
I called them up and said what are these for a Dana 60? and they said they use those on all of their kits.
Mike, you are getting old :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts