TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06 Tacoma 4x4 w/AT

Hi. I now have the infamous 3-4 gear up-shift transmission shudder, best described as driving over a washboard type sensation, only on 3-4 up shifts under light acceleration going roughly 18-25 mph...

So there is miles of threads on this problem, but no real conclusive answer..

Some people say its electronic problem (re-flash ecu) and some say torque converter.. some say add friction modifier bla bla bla, Whats the final say? Anyone heard?

·
Registered
688 Posts
the shudder is slippin' clutch plates, which translates to rebuild, but I've had the same shudder on a Crown Vic PI for 100K miles of driving (not the Tacoma) and it was fine as long as: didn't race almost everyone, flushed all fluid synthetics adding Lucas trans conditioner... and it remained in service with no deterioration in performance...

how many miles and times trans was flushed with what fluid?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the shudder is slippin' clutch plates, which translates to rebuild, but I've had the same shudder on a Crown Vic PI for 100K miles of driving (not the Tacoma) and it was fine as long as: didn't race almost everyone, flushed all fluid synthetics adding Lucas trans conditioner... and it remained in service with no deterioration in performance...

how many miles and times trans was flushed with what fluid?
I have 149k miles, and Ive changed the fluid every two years with the Toyota fluid in the red bottle. Its been doing it for the past 10k miles and does not seem to be getting worse, just annoying.
So your saying maybe add a quart of friction modifier or that Lucas trans conditioner huh? I think Ill try that.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would make sure that the transmission conditioner is compatible with WS trans fluid. If you use the Lucas Synthetic additive that should be good with the synth. WS fluid.... remember I've never done this on a Tacoma, only Fords... so there is no guarantee that it will work. This is just buying you more time, eventually the trans will need to go under the knife.

there is one problem that you will run into: you can't just pour the stuff in with no dip-stick.. therefore I would recommend flushing trans at a proper shop and adding the additive in the machine before is cycles through, you won't get all of it but close...

I assume that you ruled out bad trans mount, engine mounts. ..Unlikely but could make shifts a little "bouncy"..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would make sure that the transmission conditioner is compatible with WS trans fluid. If you use the Lucas Synthetic additive that should be good with the synth. WS fluid.... remember I've never done this on a Tacoma, only Fords... so there is no guarantee that it will work. This is just buying you more time, eventually the trans will need to go under the knife.

there is one problem that you will run into: you can't just pour the stuff in with no dip-stick.. therefore I would recommend flushing trans at a proper shop and adding the additive in the machine before is cycles through, you won't get all of it but close...

I assume that you ruled out bad trans mount, engine mounts. ..Unlikely but could make shifts a little "bouncy"..
I know that its just a band-aid fix, but im going to try it, the trans needs a rebuild im sure. But yes, i know its the trans, and not another component. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im not sure if this is what im experiencing? I was in reverse today but my truck wouldnt roll but i had power to go in reverse and as soon as i gave it a small amount of throttle it moved but as soon as i let off it clunked into reverse it sounded like, Also it down feels like it downshifts on 3rd when it shouldnt...? im at 120K on auto 4x4 DCSB

·
Registered
688 Posts
I flushed my tranny at 60K with Amsoil fluid (all 11-12 qts) now with 124K tight at new.. never felt anything ever, and I'm a bit surprised I've never heard of a Tacoma slush box doing that, neither friends who work at Toyota who I discussed this post with few weeks ago...

·
Registered
1 Posts
06 Tacoma 4x4 w/AT

Hi. I now have the infamous 3-4 gear up-shift transmission shudder, best described as driving over a washboard type sensation, only on 3-4 up shifts under light acceleration going roughly 18-25 mph...

So there is miles of threads on this problem, but no real conclusive answer..

Some people say its electronic problem (re-flash ecu) and some say torque converter.. some say add friction modifier bla bla bla, Whats the final say? Anyone heard?
HI, I have been dealing with the tranny shudder for several years. I have had the torque converter replaced twice. Most recently the dealership has charged me an amazing amount of
charges over the past few months. This last week new gears, probably time? It's got over 170 k on it. I drive it on a bumpy 112 mile rural mail route, so while working the tranny shudder is not noticable.
It has caused no problems other than stressing me. It's starting all over, now after the 13k I paid THIS LAST WEEK, to have the front end,rack & pinion, cracked rear axle bearing, Yet another carbon filter replacement
and gears all renewed? It's real dusty on that route. But, the shudder happened way before i started the 112 mile route.
Idk the shudder is probably a computer problem, but I will attempt to make the dealer honor the warranty. Made them guarantee all this money would fix the shudder.
I need the RHD, and I got a custom conversion on my TACO. That guy that made the conversion is gone, so I can't buy a new truck and get a safe conversion?
The alternative is to pay 40 grand for a new little RHD Jeep, with 2.0 ltr 4 cylinder with a
130k mile limited warranty. Jeep owners seem to have their vehicles in the shop more than most, so..even tho I've spent more on repairs for my truck, I think the new little mail jeeps will be in the shop
while the owners are still making payments. So, Idk..I'm sure not going to buy a USED rhd JEEP, ha.
I went to the dealer, because my local mechanics have begun to charge dealer prices, plus they have cost me a lot from their screw ups. Can't trust anyone, any more.

I think they might be putting the incorrect amount of fluid in the tranny, because the shudder seems to be worse uphill or at a slow speed? Also if that torque mount is defective there could be a lean causing
a fluid issue...We Will see....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts