TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 4x4 all stock and have had to do little repair to keep this thing going. I have noticed that the front suspension doesn't seem to be as solid as it once was....but nothing specific. Anyway, I'm planning on replacing some bushings to try and stop a chirp I get from the front end. What bushings are the first usually to wear out and need replacing? I've heard the control arm bushings can be troublesome to replace. It has 140k and the only replacement to the front suspension has been shocks. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Imposible to say. You'll have to get under there and take a good look. Jack up each side by the frame and look for any freeplay in anything or any visual signs of distress. Don't be surprised if there isn't much maintenance needed though. I have seen a number of Tacomas over 200k with very little done to them in the way of up keep.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
We already gave you suggestions! Jack up each side and check for play in the upper and lower ball joints, control arm bushings, and tie rod ends. We can't work on your truck for you... Come back with questions after you look so we're not all just guessing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yikes! I didn't realize that your opinion was all I needed to hear. Actually, the two posts I recieved gave differing advice....so pardon me if additional suggestions would be welcome....next time I'll know that yours is all I need. As a matter of fact I'll just pm YOU instead of posting to a public forum.....and asking for additional suggestions was simply another way to bumb the thread without typing bump

·
Registered
206 Posts
Control arm bushings will most certainly make squeaking noises. If you are having vibrations at speed (I know you didn't mention this), check your ball joints.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We already gave you suggestions! Jack up each side and check for play in the upper and lower ball joints, control arm bushings, and tie rod ends. We can't work on your truck for you... Come back with questions after you look so we're not all just guessing.
X2........that's about all there is too it, the other posts are just using their crystal balls to guess what might be worn out. With your year and mileage any front end component could be worn out. If you can't figure it out with a jack and buddy helping you move things around then take it to a shop.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 97 with 140k on it. The front bushings seem OK. Not bad enough to replace anyway. However, my rear leaf springs were beyond flat. Replacing them with full OME leaf packs made a world of difference in the ride and handling of the truck. I also replaced the front springs with OME 881's and OME shocks all the way around. The truck drives like new.

·
Registered
757 Posts
yikes! I didn't realize that your opinion was all I needed to hear. Actually, the two posts I recieved gave differing advice....so pardon me if additional suggestions would be welcome....next time I'll know that yours is all I need. As a matter of fact I'll just pm YOU instead of posting to a public forum.....and asking for additional suggestions was simply another way to bumb the thread without typing bump
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Well now you know!! :D

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'm still awaiting your PM....;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts