TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do taco rear chrome bumpers rust like theres no tommorow.. What have u guy done about the problem.. Cause i need a new bumper now, the rust is commin through the chrome..

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
if u want prob sand it of or steel wool, then clear coat it with something, im not too sure whats best but the rust will just keep on coming thru over time. if ur getting a new bumper why not look into something like badlands or bentup rear bumpers

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yotaman16 said:
Why do taco rear chrome bumpers rust like theres no tommorow.. What have u guy done about the problem.. Cause i need a new bumper now, the rust is commin through the chrome..
Where do you live? Do they salt the roads alot where you are from? They go wild with the shit where I am from....near Detroit. I spray painted the inside of my bumpers with rustoleum when I first got my truck, just cuz I see chrome bumpers from alll makes & models rusting through. So far I am pretty rust free on my 01.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
i live in savannah GA right and it hasnt snowed here in 15 yrs, one thing you prb can do is they make this stuff called "Salt X" which i use to flush the salt residue on outboard motors, u can prob get a bottle of that and hook it up to a power washer or something and prob wanna spray ur whole frame as well they sell it at marine supply boaters world in particular

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yotaman16 said:

Toyota is behind some of the other makes as far as I'm concerned when it comes to rust. At least certain parts of some vehicles.

My 2k1 rear bumper looks like something that should be hanging off an early 80's Ford truck. There's no "polishing" it back to life at this point.

I didn't buy my truck new, so the damage was already there from one winter, but if I had I would have sprayed it down with my usual stuff, Corrosion Block or maybe Boeshield.

I'll be replacing it once spring arrives, not sure if it'll just be a used chrome bumper or something custom yet though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
look at the problems w/ the 80's model Toy trucks, people can't find em w/out rust on the frames and beds...Toyota just sucks at rust prevention, nothin new... My bumper is rusting underneath the plastic steps on the top and I took em off and sanded/grinded it and spray painted it w/ rust-oleum to hopefully slow it down, but I think it's inevitable.
Ryan

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Mine is the same way,(part of the problem was sliding backwards into a tree!!) but I chose to replace it with a Demello rear tube wrap around...pricey, but from what I here a great product. Just cant wait til it gets here!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
My '03 was rusted to hell when I picked it up new off the lot. The stealer changed it and the new one hasn't rusted at all after two New Hampshire winters. I'll guess there are good ones and bad ones out there. If I had to go for a new one, I'd surely go custom.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i am from maine and the damage was done when i bought the truck.. but i tryed painting it but to late... But what have u guys done with replacing them.. I dont really want some rugged thing on the back seiing my taco aint lifted yeat...i was thing stock lookin chrome bumper andy one no where i can get one at a reasonable price????

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yotaman16 said:
You get a new one silly :rolleyes:

K-ton

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
******* said:
look at the problems w/ the 80's model Toy trucks, people can't find em w/out rust on the frames and beds...Toyota just sucks at rust prevention, nothin new... My bumper is rusting underneath the plastic steps on the top and I took em off and sanded/grinded it and spray painted it w/ rust-oleum to hopefully slow it down, but I think it's inevitable.
Ryan
It didn't help that the trucks of that era were shipped over the Pacific on the top decks of ships and not in containers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts