TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me more information on this?

I have the superduper awesome 3.58 gears in my 95 Taco. Jealous?
I called a place about replacement gears....looking to go 4.56. They said that in my truck, the housing for the gears is a different size. Apparently trucks with 3.71 gear and below had one size. and all the lower gear ratios had a different one.

I am right in assuming this is the 3rd member? And what are my possible solutions to get what i need?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Call another shop-- they are talking d44 nonsense.
Or I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.
Either is fair game.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The housing should be the same, however the carrier for the ring gear would be different.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone else verify that John is right? (no offense John, you seem to know what you are talking about) Is it the carrier that I need a replacement of?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
You need a new carrier to go along with the gears. I believe there are two sizes the >3.91's (or whatever size it is) and the 3.91<

Now here is the kicker, you need to decide now if you are ever going to put a locker into the axle. Because if you are, then why buy a carrie in which the locker is only going ot replace, thus you spending extra money you don't need to. That is why when I installed my 5.29's I also installed my ARB locker and elimiated the carrier altogether.

but yes it sounds like John was right!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so if I buy a used 3rd member with the whole differential already installed, I won't have to worry about this at all?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
smaug1911 said:
so if I buy a used 3rd member with the whole differential already installed, I won't have to worry about this at all?
exactly, well, I should say..... i think so.

That's exactly what I did. I bought a complete, used 3rd member with the 3.58 gear ratio, took it to the gear shop to put brand new 4.56's and they didn't tell me anything about changing the carrier.

Like Bear said, they did tell me that this was the right moment to throw a locker because of the carrier/set-up situation, which is true if you go with an ARB, Detroit locker, etc. By the way, they shouldn't charge you anything more for installing a locker, with the exception of the ARB because they have to drill, run the wires, install the air compressor, etc. (according to what they told me)

In my case i couldn't afford any of those, so i just told 'em to leave the 3rd member "open". I might just throw a lunchbox locker later, most likely a Powertrax No-Slip.

·
Registered
118 Posts
4.56 is a stock size... why not junkyard thirds from a 2.7L auto (2001 and up, I think) and save time-money-headache? I you want a locker or gear change later, you will still have the 1995 thirds to mess with, or sell them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have called 20 junk yards around me....only one has a tacoma and the diff is already taken.

and aren't the 4.56 stock gears only for v6's?

·
Registered
264 Posts
2.7l autos 2001 and up

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
smaug1911 said:
I have called 20 junk yards around me....only one has a tacoma and the diff is already taken.

and aren't the 4.56 stock gears only for v6's?
I could be wrong, but i believe that they are different. However, you can set up your 4cyl 3rd member with 4.56's as well. You just have to specify the right parts when you order.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You can try:

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/

He is one of the sponsors here in the forum. He has tons of used parts, very nice person too. I almost bought a used 3rd member with 4.56's for the 4cyl from him like a month ago, but the deal didn't go through on time and I ended up buying the parts for a rebuild. However, I believe the one he had available at the moment had a bunch of miles on it. But you might want to give him a call. He might still have that one waiting for you :D

That's another thing you have to consider with used 3rds. Before spending tons of money on one that has a billion miles on it, I'll rather spend the money on a rebuild. THat's just my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I swapped out my 3.58's for 4.30's with no need to change the carrier. You just need gears and install kits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
ljschnel
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing