TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems like there is alot lately.. maybe there should be a waiting period before someone can post

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
law116 said:
seems like there is alot lately.. maybe there should be a waiting period before someone can post
I was kinda thinking the same thing. It's apparently too easy for someONE or someTHING to get an account on here. This will all get back to requiring a minimum amount of information to be filled out in a form and possibly some sort of confirmation email or something? Hell, you might already have to do that...I can't remember.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Another board I am on blocks all the IP addresses from the spammer. The only problem is that this can hit a lot of people. Are you guys already doing this here?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Currently *I* am not able to ban IP addresses, and if I DO have the ability, Im not sure how....its not listed under the moderator control panel much like 'ban user' is.

But I am almost sure that the admins are able to ban IP's.

Kinda a pain in the ass to have to PM an admin to get something done that we should be able to do ourselves....but there MUST be a reason for it.

I know there IS a requirement for confirmation email before posting, because some have had issues with that in the past (those who use hotmail or yahoo mail often get their confirmation email in there 'junk mail' folder)

I also agree there should be a one-two week time lapse before one is able to post...and should they CONTRIBUTE that period should be waived....

Every time I see the same spam being posted, I immediatly ban the user then begin the deletion of that users posts....I think perhaps us mods should add the IP of the banned user into the "Ban IP" thread which currently resides in the moderators forum for future reference and/or immidiate action....

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Angry Andy said:
Currently *I* am not able to ban IP addresses, and if I DO have the ability, Im not sure how....its not listed under the moderator control panel much like 'ban user' is.

But I am almost sure that the admins are able to ban IP's.

Kinda a pain in the ass to have to PM an admin to get something done that we should be able to do ourselves....but there MUST be a reason for it.

I know there IS a requirement for confirmation email before posting, because some have had issues with that in the past (those who use hotmail or yahoo mail often get their confirmation email in there 'junk mail' folder)

I also agree there should be a one-two week time lapse before one is able to post...and should they CONTRIBUTE that period should be waived....

Every time I see the same spam being posted, I immediatly ban the user then begin the deletion of that users posts....I think perhaps us mods should add the IP of the banned user into the "Ban IP" thread which currently resides in the moderators forum for future reference and/or immidiate action....

Or just give their IP to some of us that know IT and let us see if we can have some fun with it :explode:

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
ShowStop said:
Seems like an upgrade to our forum software might be in order...
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1278115&postcount=2
Because of the way our instance of vBulletin was skinned (not me) we can't do this. For those that didn't already know I actually have a development instance of the entire site that runs on the side. When I upgraded that to 3.5 a while back all of our skins got totally fucked and a bunch of other shoddy vBulletin programming reared its ugly head.

The bottom line here is that in my self-proclaimed expert opinion vBulletin is a big fat pile of shit. I will not spend any time upgrading. If you search the vBulletin support forums you'll find me over there raising really serious issues to moron support personell telling me that its ok.

I have done research and found a replacement for vBulletin. I have scripts that will migrate all of the data to the new board and there are literally only a few items of work remaining to complete the transition (the photo page and a few of the custom things Chris has written). Unfortunately no one qualified wants to help out.

Experienced PHP programmers that are actually interested in truly helping out (not falling off the face of the earth a week later) are desired. The pay is $0 but the benefits keep me around.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
jester_motorsports said:
I was kinda thinking the same thing. It's apparently too easy for someONE or someTHING to get an account on here. This will all get back to requiring a minimum amount of information to be filled out in a form and possibly some sort of confirmation email or something? Hell, you might already have to do that...I can't remember.
I encourage you to logout and then pretend to go register for a new account. Not only do you need to fill out a form with some basic info you need to type in some obfuscated numbers and letters in an image and then confirm an email that you receive.

This is definitely turning into a problem and it even costs us money. At any given moment look at the number of users currently online. More than likely there will be ~200 real users online and ~500 "guests." Most of these guests are spammers of some sort. They're just cruising along scraping the site, wasting resources.

But what can you do? Ban guests?

It's a hard problem.

·
Registered
161 Posts
In my humble opinion you guys do a pretty damn good job keeping spammers out, as well as reacting quickly when they do get in. Much better then the other forums I check out.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
strider said:
In my humble opinion you guys do a pretty damn good job keeping spammers out, as well as reacting quickly when they do get in. Much better then the other forums I check out.
I agree. The moderators here are pretty awesome.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
BigBadBob0 said:
I agree. The moderators here are pretty awesome.
So are you, Bob.

Your endless hours of work and timely replies to issues are greatly appreciated, not only by me, but Im sure by most every member here. Thank you. :clap:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
BigBadBob0 said:
I encourage you to logout and then pretend to go register for a new account. Not only do you need to fill out a form with some basic info you need to type in some obfuscated numbers and letters in an image and then confirm an email that you receive.

This is definitely turning into a problem and it even costs us money. At any given moment look at the number of users currently online. More than likely there will be ~200 real users online and ~500 "guests." Most of these guests are spammers of some sort. They're just cruising along scraping the site, wasting resources.

But what can you do? Ban guests?

It's a hard problem.
Like I said, I couldn't remember what all you had to do to register. It sucks that there are people or companies that are paid to do this shit. You guys have to waste your time taking care of bullshit posts by these worthless f*cks. As mentioned above, all of you do a great job getting right on these things and getting them taken care of. Thank you.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Their are just to damn many!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
ShowStop said:
I just killed off 8 spam messages in the last five minutes. But you guys probably never saw them since they were killed within a minute or two of being posted.
yeah i banned them and went back to cleanup but ya beat me to it.

I guess with good teamwork we can win in the long run, but it IS a pain in the butt doing so.

·
Registered
532 Posts
BigBadBob0 said:
Because of the way our instance of vBulletin was skinned (not me) we can't do this. For those that didn't already know I actually have a development instance of the entire site that runs on the side. When I upgraded that to 3.5 a while back all of our skins got totally fucked and a bunch of other shoddy vBulletin programming reared its ugly head.

The bottom line here is that in my self-proclaimed expert opinion vBulletin is a big fat pile of shit. I will not spend any time upgrading. If you search the vBulletin support forums you'll find me over there raising really serious issues to moron support personell telling me that its ok.

I have done research and found a replacement for vBulletin. I have scripts that will migrate all of the data to the new board and there are literally only a few items of work remaining to complete the transition (the photo page and a few of the custom things Chris has written). Unfortunately no one qualified wants to help out.

Experienced PHP programmers that are actually interested in truly helping out (not falling off the face of the earth a week later) are desired. The pay is $0 but the benefits keep me around.
thats interesting. thanks for sharing. it sounds like there is not much more that can be done to stop them other than the current teamwork. it amazes me they still manage to get in after all that registration process unless they are not bots. keep up the good work guys!

·
Registered
42 Posts
BigBadBob0 said:

Not a PHP developer but Classic ASP & VB. I'll help if I can.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
14 Participants
Animal
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing