TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing all these postings about 91 octane, but I've never seen 91 at a gas station. I see 87, 89, and 93. Is there some mathematical something I'm missing or what?

Yes I'm a dumb hick so posting that isn't going to hurt my feelings or tell anyone anything they couldn't figure out on their own.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
basically you should consider yourself lucky. In CA, along with some other states, unfortunately we get stuck with 91 octane. We have 87, 89, and 91, rather than 93. You're not missing anything, just getting better gas.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Don't question it, just thank your lucky stars that you still have 93 available to you.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
93 octane?? What part of the country do you live in?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I think he was refering to the original poster. He should have used the quote button;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Higher elevation area cars don't are not detrimented from having 91 octane because of the lower O2 levels in the air. That's why we have 91 here in NM and most places closer to sea level have 93. The higher octane is needed to react with the higher O2 concentration levels.

·
Registered
172 Posts
In BC Canada we have 94 Octane readily available. Just came back from a biking trip in OR and the best i could find was 92 i think. My dirtbike didn't like it (detonation).

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
We have 94 available here in Massachusetts too, but mostly at Exxon stations. I haven't seen too many other places around the area that sell 94 Octane, but the standard Premium fuel octane level here is 93.

It shouldn't matter anyways in most vehicles unless you're running some serious boost, an aftermarket setup resulting in real high compression, or if you have a car with a freakishly high compression ratio, like the new Lexus IS350 which has an astounding 11.8:1 compression ratio. Modern cars are also designed to alter the timing on the fly if they sense detonation(knock/ping) which could result from running an octane level that is insufficient for the motor and operating environment combination. On the downside though... when timing is altered to alleviate ping/knock, you lose some power and fuel economy.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i saw a shell station in the Bay Area, only one of the pumps had a 93 option. i thought i was dreaming.
My cousin is a marine in the mid-east. he said they get 193 octane at the 711's.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
That's why we have 91 here in NM and most places closer to sea level have 93.
Umm, no...I've lived up and down the coast of CA my whole life and never once seen anything over 91. I've heard of one gas station having 100 octance, but never actually seen it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
there's a list of gas stations somewhere online (at least for Southern CA) that are 93 octane, but it would be rare to see one that is more than 91. Everywhere I've been in CA, north and south, the standard is 91.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
kings chevron has 100 octane pump gas. but THATS the only place ive seen over 91 besides at the airport (they wont pump 110 into your vehicle)
It's called 100 low lead. It does not run well in your car unless you mix it with toluene, because it is formulated for running at higher altitudes. It has a different specific gravity than normal pump gas. We used to buy it and mix it for race fuel many years ago.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm in East TN. We're not all that close to sea level, kind of mountainous over this way and into East KY, I'm about an hour from Harlan, KY if that gives you an idea. I just asked because I would see posts about the newer Tacomas running better on 91 and I could have swore I'd never seen 91 in my life. Went to the gas station and confirmed it. Thanks for the explanations everyone.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I ran 116 in my subaru on occasion, damn thats some good stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yea it is just different places run different octane here ya its only 91 in kentucy it is 93:banghead:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts