TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I took my wheel assembly apart to replace a burned out oute wheel bearing, and when I put it back together the axle shaft didnt tighten up. I got the exploded diagram of how it all goes back together, and redid all my work with the diagram, and it helped get it tighter, but not all the way tight. I guess my question is does anyone know what parts could be bad, or if I put something in the wrong direction... what could cause this problem?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yeah, what he said. Assuming that you are talking about a solid front though and the only thing that comes to mind 'axle shaft tighten up' would be the bearing nuts on the spindle?
So- what vehicle, and what do you mean 'won't tighten up'?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sprry guys, I was really frustrated in my earlier post, cuz I've been workin on it all day long. it is a '88 toyota truck, with the facotyr ifs. where the axle shaft comes throguht inside the hub, there is the end bolt and the grooved washer that slips on between the axle shaft and the end bolt. the axle shaft will slide out toward the diff and leave about a 1/16th inch gap inbetween the wheel assembly and the cv boot assembly. the bearing are in corectly, and the bearing nuts are tightened to spec. if ya need any more info just let me know.... thank you guys for the help

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Sounds like you are talking about the end of the CV axle - called "Drive Shaft" in the diagram (note: this is for a '93, yours should be pretty much the same):
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/suspensionandaxle/15componen.pdf

It sounds like you didn't reinstall the snap ring/circlip that rides against the splined washer (called "Spacer" in the drawing) and holds the CV axle in place. The bolt that goes in the end with the big washer isn't really designed to hold the CV axle in place.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RedRunnertc said:
Sounds like you are talking about the end of the CV axle - called "Drive Shaft" in the diagram (note: this is for a '93, yours should be pretty much the same):
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/suspensionandaxle/15componen.pdf

It sounds like you didn't reinstall the snap ring/circlip that rides against the splined washer (called "Spacer" in the drawing) and holds the CV axle in place. The bolt that goes in the end with the big washer isn't really designed to hold the CV axle in place.
well i thought about the same thing too, but what I cant figure out is where the snap ring clips onto the axle shaft beause there is no place on the axle shaft. I also dont remember taking it off, but I just got the truck back from a reposession and who knows what they screwed with. does the ring just go between the washer and the splined washer? I guess tomorrow I will try to get on at the store... thank you for helping me out with this problem.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
You should see a small groove in the CV axle if you have it pulled out enough.
Yeah, when I was IFS; I remember having to PUSH the CV into the spindle from the backside in order to 'see' the groove for the retainer clip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts