TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here in SOCAL we have been getting a SH*T load of rain :D and my buddy and I took our taco's out to a local OHV park and went to out to spots we usualy go to and we got into some serious mud ( 4Low 2nd gear and locked) After spending about 2days and 4 hours cleaning the underside of my truck :mad: its more fun playing than cleaning.

my neighbor came over and warned me to check my wheelbearings grease cause the mud can flush out alll the grease. HE ahd a prob with his work truck after getting stuck in the mud a few days later it heated up the bearing cause the grease was no longer there and the wheel poped off when he was driving.

So are teh 05's bearings sealed or open? Should I be worried about something like this I washed all the mudd off the truck wheels rotors and all etc.

thanks

-Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 98 and I just ran into the same problem, but I had never greased mine and I have 160,000 on my truck. I have played in the mud alot and driven in deep water and that was the first time I had a problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
wheel bearings

05TRDTaco said:
my neighbor came over and warned me to check my wheelbearings grease cause the mud can flush out alll the grease. HE ahd a prob with his work truck after getting stuck in the mud a few days later it heated up the bearing cause the grease was no longer there and the wheel poped off when he was driving.
Was his work truck a Tacoma? Bet not.

05TRDTaco said:
So are teh 05's bearings sealed or open? Should I be worried about something like this I washed all the mudd off the truck wheels rotors and all etc.

thanks

-Chris
Sealed so they are not greasable/servicable. Only changable. (and they are a biatch to change yurself, trust me)

·
Registered
60 Posts
redtrd said:
I have a 98 and I just ran into the same problem, but I had never greased mine and I have 160,000 on my truck. I have played in the mud alot and driven in deep water and that was the first time I had a problem.

did you replace them? i think i need to do mine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've replaced 3 of em. It's quite extensive and you'll need special pressing arbors (I had to make my own) along with a minimum of a 12T press. Got pics of the process if your going to tackle it. PICS HERE Have any ?'s, leme know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts