TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 2007 regular cab with a 3" lift, 1 1/2" spacers on the front, 16x8 wheels, and 33x12.5 tires. Ive had the truck for about a year and a half and have replaced the wheel bearings multiple times (approximately 5xpassenger and 2xdriver side) so now im trying to get rid of the spacers which I was under the impression that new 16" wheels with a different offset would solve the problem of the wheel hitting the caliper without the spacers. It recently came to my attention that that wont work and I either need to go to 17s or that stock 16" toyota wheels clear the caliper for some odd reason. Does anyone have any advice on things that work, my main thing is getting rid of the spacers before I end up buying a stock in wheel bearings and not having to buy 17" wheels and all new tires.

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
I don't see any reason a different 16" wheel won't fit. A stock 16" should work, but the backspacing causes the tires to rub the upper control arm since they much wider tires than stock.
You simply need to find a 16" wheel that will clear the calipers and let the tires clear the UCA's by means of a different backspace. I think a 16x9 with ~4/4.25" BS will suit you well. However, there are many threads on the net about which wheels fit and which wheels don't so, time for you to do some homework.

Also, you don't want to put 12.5" wide tires on a stock 7.5" rim. It will cause the tire to balloon out and it won't wear properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Though I don't doubt that your wheel setup loads the bearings more than stock, that can't be the only problem. Is your your 35mm axle nut torqued sufficiently? I was gingerly tightening that nut and chewing through bearings in 20000 miles until I realized that you just need to torque the living hell out of it. The CV shaft and axle nut hold the whole bearing assembly together in these trucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts