TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
couldn't find anything specific in the faq so here goes...

pros/cons of each?
I know...steel bends, Al breaks...but I have yet to see anyone I wheel with break one of their Al wheels.

weight difference between the two of = size?

any weight charts out there that have what these suckers each weigh?

8" vs 10", what do you have and why?
I know about the wheel bearing reasons ;)

less backspacing vs spacers to provide more inset for the hubs...one better than the other?

I'm sure a lot of this has been covered on Pirate but their search sucks...about as much as ours does :p

comments on any of the above?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Weight difference is significant- 35" bfg mud on one of my Al rims weighs damn near the same as one of my steel wheels with no tire.

I've broken the bead off an Al wheel.

But that was pounding stuff... pre crawler, axle, etc.

Steel be a hell of alot easier to fab up rock rings or beadlocks in the future.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think the only main reason besides what you have posted is th e price and durability

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rubberpants said:
This should go in the Newbie folder next time so you won't get flamed:flipoff3: :newbie:
not really, as this is specific to SAS application and there was nothing in that section that I could find.
here "function" overrides any notion of 'form' as opposed to much of what you see in the noob folder ;)

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
go alum. imagine changing/fixing/lifting, a mud caked 35"+ tire.!
and i like the 10"rim myself, the tire centers wear less fast.imho.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
green96taco said:
I think the only main reason besides what you have posted is th e price and durability
yea, big difference in price...Crawlers can be had for under $50ea while the cheapest alloy is twice that.

as far as durability goes I dont hammer my rig so breaking an alloy would be rare...and what will break the alloy will usually bend the steel enough to cause an air leak from what I've seen so far.

Since I have the 2.7, any additional unsprung weight makes a big difference. I am, however, interested in just how much that difference actually is. Searching varrious wheel mfg sites didn't really get me anything useful.
I guess I just need to take a scale with me to 4wps on Mon :rolleyes:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KRYPTO(dale) said:
go alum. imagine changing/fixing/lifting, a mud caked 35"+ tire.!
and i like the 10"rim myself, the tire centers wear less fast.imho.
thanks, Dale...forgot about that factor...can run more psi with the wider rim = better mileage getting to the trails ;)

hows the leg doing?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CronusTRD said:
Champion Beadlocks...bling bling
not looking for bling....that's Dick's department :p

have you seen his gold PC'd wheels? LOL

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Chris-

I went from steel to aluminum and I won't be going back. I always had a hard time getting the steel wheels to balance and the weight differences is substantial. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a set of beadlocks right off the bat.

Tim

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Timbuddha said:
Chris-

I went from steel to aluminum and I won't be going back. I always had a hard time getting the steel wheels to balance and the weight differences is substantial. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a set of beadlocks right off the bat.

Tim

cool, thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been considering moving to alloy wheels as well, those from wheelers look to be pretty nice and a fair price. Anyone have pics of them on a truck? ('01-'04)

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Champion, TrailReady, Walkers, Sky and OMF would be a good option for aluminum beadlocks. Do it right the first time.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I love my steel wheels, beadlocked in a day, cheap (even with a beadlock $120 per wheel...ballanced)

I'm biased, it's not my DD and I have 4wheel disks on a lighter vehicle, I can stop pretty damn fast IMO. I like unspring weight, hell I have MAYBE 100hp at the wheels with the gear drive tcase/crawler and a 22ret. I have driven it on the freeway for ~3 hrs each way, (to/from big bear trails) and with 5.29 gears, I have power. But I keep it at 65mph due to the fact I am running at ~3000 rpm in 5th.

Weight is a big factor for a DD though! Especially for a rig w beadlocks. My 37" mtrs on 15x9 beadlocked steel wheels weigh in at ~110lbs EACH. Lugging that tire off the rig is fun, especially off camber, or if using it as a tool (read fill in big hole) to get a rig unstuck up/down the trail.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
beadlocks are out of the question for me but some sort of rim guards like the MT Classic Locks have would be nice.
I'm also only going to a 35" tire, max.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Those rim guards on the MT Classics are paper thin. You really don't want those. Trust me, go with the beadlocks now. I know they are a hard pill to swallow, but you will thank yourself later.

Tim

Edit: Here you go. :)

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
About this Discussion
140 Replies
38 Participants
FURACERMAN
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing