TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, an employee of Schaffer's Off-Road, died this weekend at Johnson Valley. He was doing brodies on the lake bed when his rig flipped and his head smacked the ground. Please, please be careful when you guys wheel. I've been to enough student and former student funerals to make me sick. Many died for no reason and I don't want to see that happen to any of you. Wheel hard, but be safe.
1. If you have harnesses, put them on!!! The lap belt will do nothing for you in a roll over!
2. If you wheel super hard stuff, install a cage!! It will save your life or the lives of your loved ones.
3. When in doubt, back out!! No obstacle is worth you life. You can't prove your manhood when you are dead.

I will be installing harnesses in my rig this week as I will be wheeling with tube doors in the future and I don't want to die!!

Be safe friends!!!

Tim

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I will be installing a harness to as well! Especially with tube doors :eek:

·
Registered
450 Posts
The 4 or 5 point belts are good as long as you are caged. If you are not running a cage do not run those types of belts. Just wanted to throw that out thear.

Im sory to hear th news.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
good post Tim.

Just one comment on the harness installation. If they are installed wrong they can cause serious injury. I have even heard that if you do not have a cage it is best not to insall harnesses. but to be honest? I do not know what alternatives there are for non caged vehicles to facilitate aftermarket restraining devices.

the proper idea for installing harnesses is to have the shoulder straps anchored to a bar just below shoulder height. If the harness is anchored to the floor, during a roll over (especially high speed which are more violent) the 5 point harnesses will cause spinal compression which can be paralizing.

Not trying to start a debate, just adding to what you are saying.Safety should always be on one's mind while doing what we all enjoy doing.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
you are more concise with the wording than I am.:D we basically said the same thing!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
ugghh...donuts. about the most stupid thing you could die doin:(

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
Lots of our trucks lack roll cages, and people need to think long and hard about getting one. It's a pretty expensive to put in a proper roll cage, but one roll over can ruin your day.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,523 Posts
Remember when the Ultimate Tacoma flopped on the lake bed out there a few years back? Nobody was hurt in that incident IIRC, but it just shows that just because you dont have your vehicle on a hammers trail doesn't mean wheeling in JV is any safer.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
:soapbox: This may not be directly topic related, but maybe does go hand in hand with your post.

when I was just learning to drive actually before I got my license. My mom preached to me this one concept which I am preaching now to my kids.

"driving is like holding a loaded gun. There is so much that can happen and so much responsiblity involved with driving, you have to treat it as if you have a loaded gun in your hands."

Now if you think about that concept, and take it a step further into the relm of what we all do here with our trucks. it is like taking that "loaded gun" and modifying the trigger and hammer mechanism to being a hair trigger. We all must be careful regardless of where we are.

As we have members that have had severe flops and roll overs while performing "stupid human tricks" in parking lots to taking their rigs to the extreme on the trail. Each move has the potiential of becoming a desaster.

I am not saying we need to all become paranoid and stop what we all enjoy doing, just take a step back and think about all the reprocussions that could follow each decision. Take into account how your vehicle is equipped and if it can protect you from those reprocussion if they were to happen.

Accidents will always happen, somethings can not be foreseen. that is life, but prepare yourself the best you can and maintain a level enough head to be able to enjoy life as you are honored to live how ever much of it you have.

Damn time for me to climb down off:soapbox: sorry guys and gals!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I am not saying we need to all become paranoid and stop what we all enjoy doing, just take a step back and think about all the reprocussions that could follow each decision. Take into account how your vehicle is equipped and if it can protect you from those reprocussion if they were to happen.

Accidents will always happen, somethings can not be foreseen. that is life, but prepare yourself the best you can and maintain a level enough head to be able to enjoy life as you are honored to live how ever much of it you have.
Very Well said....

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
this hits hard for me.

I spent the weekend wheeling at Silver Lake sand dunes here in MI........I witnessed two pretty serious accidents.........two guys rolled a early 80's Toyota 2x down a dune.....it had a roll bar in the bed and both walked away with out a scratch......they even pounded the cab out, removed the broke windshield and were back wheeling the next day.

the second guy was not as lucky........he was trying to clear a big dune and did not make it......so in an effort to look cool he backed up for a huge running start.........he carried soooo much speed that the truck launched off the top and cleared over 60 feet of sand........frame of the truck (late 90's ex cab chevy half ton) bent into a u-shape.....he crushed a vertabrae in his back and there is a 99% chance he will never walk again....he is only 23.

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
Remember when the Ultimate Tacoma flopped on the lake bed out there a few years back? Nobody was hurt in that incident IIRC, but it just shows that just because you dont have your vehicle on a hammers trail doesn't mean wheeling in JV is any safer.
That is what happens when you try to get cute with high center of gravity truck.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Yeah, because noone ever does stupid stuff (like Sobe bombs) on a ttora run :rolleyes: Pot meet kettle, I have been on a few ttora runs and know their not perfect either.
i agree, and i am by no means claiming to not be one to do stupid shit. As a matter of fact i will admit to doing more dumb stuff than most and certainly to getting very lucky, very many times.

But i have a special hatred for people who think donuts are cool. especially when doing a high speed baja run where you get to drift corners on the gas all day long and when you stop some darrel in the group does donuts in the middle of the fucking road....

and doing them in a high COG rock crawler...come on, what dou you think is gonna happen.

Also, if a vehical is caged you NEED to wear a helmet. bashing your head on the cage is gonna mess you up.

Mike

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
bottom line is you never know. it doesnt take much to take a life away. just recently my best freinds dad passed away while just messing around on the back of a golf cart. one slip and landed on his head. 2 brain surgeries later and lots of pain that his family and friends felt and he stopped breathing. you cant be paranoid about every little thing in life but just being concious of the things that could happen will help. those of you with kids and family probably know how hard it would be on them if you werent there tomorrow. you dont really know how it feels untill it happens to you...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about this. RIP fellow wheeler. Our thoughts go out to the friends and family.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the second guy was not as lucky........he was trying to clear a big dune and did not make it......so in an effort to look cool he backed up for a huge running start.........he carried soooo much speed that the truck launched off the top and cleared over 60 feet of sand........frame of the truck (late 90's ex cab chevy half ton) bent into a u-shape.....he crushed a vertabrae in his back and there is a 99% chance he will never walk again....he is only 23.
whoa....that really, really sucks...that guy is only 3 years older than i am...makes you think...i always try to wheel safe...i dont do anything that i believe is out of my reach...

and my condolences (i think thats the word i want) to the SCHAFFERS off road employee's family and friends
RIP dude/chick
hope ur wheelin those great trails in the sky

·
Registered
449 Posts
That's terrible and my thoughts go out to his family. It's sad to see anybody die but it's awful when it's somebody so young.

I will say this though. If he had one drop of alcohol in him while he was acting like a fool I'm glad he took himself out before anybody else had to die.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Sad to hear...

After years of riding SportBikes and pusing the limits of luck...

With a "Ride Fast... Think slow" mentality...

I've mangaged to always let common sense engineer it's way into my offroad "Think Slow" mentality...

That or it's just the years creapin' on me... And I realize I'm no longer Superman :(

But if I have to go... I'd rather being doing something I enjoy...

Better then prune juice... wheelchairs... and weekly doctor visits :(

Life is backasswards... should be us old fawks taking the risks... and the young'ns playing it safe... so that they can live to be decrepid one day :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts