TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., I need to remove a set of wheels and they have wheel lug locks. No, I don't have the key. I was thinking about welding on an old lug and breaking them free that way. Is there another way to remove wheel locks? Thanks

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,405 Posts
Offrhoder said:
O.K., I need to remove a set of wheels and they have wheel lug locks. No, I don't have the key. I was thinking about welding on an old lug and breaking them free that way. Is there another way to remove wheel locks? Thanks
Depending on the type of wheel lock, pounding a socket onto the nuts usually works for me. I had to do that with the ones I have now. Learned that buying a spare key is a lifesaver.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Offrhoder said:
I will second the socket thing. Find one that fits tight and beat it on there :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had an old jeep with locks and didn't have the key. I took it to a shady little shop, and they took an air chisel and turned them off (and destroyed them in the process, not that I cared). I don't know if many shops would be willing, but if you know someone with an air chisel it works very fast and easy.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Offrhoder said:
Option1)
1/2 Drive, 12pt 19mm deep socket should work- Craftsman w/lifetime warranty will work since you will fracture the socket. W/ BFH- get the socket to fit over the wheel lock-
I have been able to removal all 4 wheel locks w/ the same socket before I swapped it out for a new one.

Option2)
Craftsman sells a lug nut removal tool
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952165000
I think they also have a 3pc set for less

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I thought about the socket thing, just wasn't sure if it would actually work. I guess it does! The lug nut removal tool sounds cool, perfect time to add it to the collection, but I'm gonna need to do this on Sat. Guess I'll see if the store has them in stock. Once again, thanks all for some good ideas. I still may weld some lugs on just to use the welder. LOL I mean, I did buy it.....I should use it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
When i got one stuck on my wheel i went and the shop had a tool with a button and they push this stick up onto the lugnut and push the button and it grabs it and makes it able to turn w/an impact. goodluck

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Offrhoder said:
as suggested, check with your dealer first. If they have the master keys they should be able to figure out what code your original one was and order you a dupe.

if you have aftermarket lugs go with the undersize socket approach.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Offrhoder said:
use a socket, it works.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If it is an aftermarket wheel you my try and find what brand lug nuts they are and just buy the key, usually the key is the same for that brand of lugs.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I had a shop remove mine, They had a tool that looked like the craftsman tool that you would get to remove striped nuts. It looks like a spiral inside and they taped it on a little with a hammer. When they turned it with the inpact it bites the lug and it comes right off.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
BOOBANELLI21 said:
Did you just use Craftsman and Snap-On in the same sentence? :eek:
now about Snapsman? :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
my key broke, so i took the truck to toyota and they removed them for free...not sure how they did it, but they didn't charge anything so you may try your local dealer...good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
GreenTaco4x4 said:
Toyota locks I think have the same locks on them. I bought my truck used and of course no key. I went to the toyota dealer told them I needed a wheel key for a 1997 SR5 Tacoma and they gave me one. No vids or anything crazy just the year and type of package it had.
Toyota doesn't have the same locks. We have a kit with about 10 different ones.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts