TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for new Wheels for my '01 DC.

I am looking into AWC Series 81 - Black Soft 8's

B/S = 4 1/2,
Offset = 0,
Size = 16 x 8,
Bolt Circle = 6-5.5

I am sticking with 16's to keep my current tires 255/85 R16 BFG MT/KM's. I just forgot what the stock wheels are back spaced to and how much offset to look for.

·
Banned
966 Posts
flyingwil said:
I am looking for new Wheels for my '01 DC.

I am looking into AWC Series 81 - Black Soft 8's

B/S = 4 1/2,
Offset = 0,
Size = 16 x 8,
Bolt Circle = 6-5.5

I am sticking with 16's to keep my current tires 255/85 R16 BFG MT/KM's. I just forgot what the stock wheels are back spaced to and how much offset to look for.
are these vendor specs?? they look wrong. 4.5" BS with a zero offset means the rim is 9" wide.

maybe the "0" was suppose to be "na". wheel makers will typically use BS or offset #'s, but not both.

·
Registered
69 Posts
EMPIRE said:
are these vendor specs?? they look wrong. 4.5" BS with a zero offset means the rim is 9" wide.

maybe the "0" was suppose to be "na". wheel makers will typically use BS or offset #'s, but not both.
Nope, 4½ BS with 8" wheels is 0mm offset, 9" with same BS wheel it would be -12mm.

·
Registered
104 Posts
An 8 inch wheel with zero offset(mounting right in the middle) is actually 9 inches wide at the exterior dimensions of the wheel where the weights are. Take a look and measure one. Hence 4.5 being the mid point or zero offset. 8 inches only refers to the bead area and that is important because that affects how the tire sits on the rim. That is also how rims are sold/measured. By the width at the ever so important bead measurement.

·
Banned
966 Posts
TRDZR2 said:
An 8 inch wheel with zero offset(mounting right in the middle) is actually 9 inches wide at the exterior dimensions of the wheel where the weights are. Take a look and measure one. Hence 4.5 being the mid point or zero offset. 8 inches only refers to the bead area and that is important because that affects how the tire sits on the rim. That is also how rims are sold/measured. By the width at the ever so important bead measurement.
how do "you" physically measure BS of a rim. please explain how you do it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Throw a flat board, stick, ruler across the back of the wheel(where the weights mount). Take a measurement from the side of the board/stick/ruler to the mounting surface in the wheel. That is the back spacing measurement. I sold wheels for several years. If you need a relaible source besides myself, look at the link.

If offset is measured from the true center line of the wheel, and the backspacing is 4.5 inches, the the physical outer dimension of the wheel is 9 inches. The industry wheel dimesion would be 8 inches wide. Again, supported by the chart I linked. Your best bet is to just grab a wheel and measure it. Toyota wheels work well for this because most have the offset number stamped on them. 15mm for the older Tacomas and 30mm for the newer ones.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
mikesdoublecab
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing