TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i've been looking to widen my tire stance, and i see two routes.
1, new wheels and tires... expensive.
2, wheel spacers.
something like this:
http://www.ezaccessory.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=6550-6550T

now, I really don't want to go the first route, although it is probably the better route. So, for now I was looking into wheel spacers as the cheaper alternative.

I go off roading maybe once every couple months, and i wish i had the time for more. I just want to know if wheel spacers would be reliable. I don't do anything crazy.... no jumps or anything, i just like getting out to the desert and driving around. This is my daily driver, so i don't want to [email protected]& up my truck.

I just would like some opinions on wheel spacers, maybe a recommendation on where to pick some up, and if possible, pics!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
they aren't the most liked mod around these parts... just pic up some wheelers rims if ya wanna widen your stance... :2cents:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
the type Bs will widen stance..... you must check to see if they are compaitble though, as some vehicles can't fit 15" wheels

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
PooLatka said:
Hey, i've been looking to widen my tire stance, and i see two routes.
1, new wheels and tires... expensive.
2, wheel spacers.
something like this:
http://www.ezaccessory.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=6550-6550T

now, I really don't want to go the first route, although it is probably the better route. So, for now I was looking into wheel spacers as the cheaper alternative.

I go off roading maybe once every couple months, and i wish i had the time for more. I just want to know if wheel spacers would be reliable. I don't do anything crazy.... no jumps or anything, i just like getting out to the desert and driving around. This is my daily driver, so i don't want to [email protected]& up my truck.

I just would like some opinions on wheel spacers, maybe a recommendation on where to pick some up, and if possible, pics!
not a real problem on the rear but the front bearings don't do well with thick spacers on there.

just get a little less back spacing and 8" rims.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Check ebay. I got 4 from GarageRacing for about $110 shipped. Keep in mind that changing backspacing on a wheel adds the same stress to bearings that spacers add (for equivalent changes). Most people go to something like 3.75" backspacing and I believe the factory wheels are 4.5" backspacing so that is the equivalent stress of a 0.75" spacer (when you change to 3.75" bs). A "normal" spacer is 1.25" or 1.50", so yes, they put slightly more stress on the bearings. Some people complain about having 2 sets of lug nuts to worry about also. I've never had issues with the hardware on my truck coming loose, so the extra lug nuts are not a concern to me.

Of course, I've only had them on for about 3 weeks now! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
v6samurai86
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing