TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 4runner

rear wheel

One lug nut will not come off, spins forever and does not come off. I tried pulling the tire toward me but i can't say it was a crazy amount of force.

How do I get this lug nut off?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Drill it out maybe. You'd have to clamp the nut with some vice grips or something to keep it from spinning then drill the stud out with a drill bit the same size as the stud. A PITA job for sure.
Since the stud hole is obviously stripped out and shot you might have to replace or weld the new stud to the drum to get the new stud to hold.

Use a torque wrench set to the proper torque to insall lugs nuts from now on. This is usually from putting the lug nuts on way too tight. Don't use or allow anyone else to use an impact wrench to install lug nuts, always use or insist others to use a torque wrench.

99 4runner

rear wheel

One lug nut will not come off, spins forever and does not come off. I tried pulling the tire toward me but i can't say it was a crazy amount of force.

How do I get this lug nut off?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yup the dick is spot on here needs to be drilled out, I've had to do it before and it sucks.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pain of this project came down to the design of the lug nut. I was lucky and was able to break the stud without drilling it. Took some time and a friend that was stronger than me. Breaker bar positioned so that you could extend it out and lift up and down multiple times while the tire was just off the ground w/ the e-brake. When I mean lift, dam practically lifting the vehicle. Impact once the stud finally caught on something and then snapped. Process was by no means a one shot.
thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts