TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I picked up a set of Ion wheels a while ago and had to replace the studs wth some longer ones. My issue is that they are a different thread than the stock tacoma ones. I guess I am asking if any of you guys who have put alloy wheels on have had this issue or am I just special. Next question is do any of you who have had to put longer studs on have the part numbers on hand so I can get some with all the same thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
MNTaco said:
Hey guys. I picked up a set of Ion wheels a while ago and had to replace the studs wth some longer ones. My issue is that they are a different thread than the stock tacoma ones. I guess I am asking if any of you guys who have put alloy wheels on have had this issue or am I just special. Next question is do any of you who have had to put longer studs on have the part numbers on hand so I can get some with all the same thread. Thanks.
Theres only a few different thread patterns for wheel studs....take it to an auto store and they should be able to help figure out what lugnuts you need

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
MNTaco said:
Next question is do any of you who have had to put longer studs on have the part numbers on hand so I can get some with all the same thread. Thanks.
Davis3000 said:
Theres only a few different thread patterns for wheel studs....take it to an auto store and they should be able to help figure out what lugnuts you need
Think you missed his point... He wants longer studs with the correct thread pattern that matches his OEM stud threading...

I don't know the answer... But couldn't you go to a tire and wheel shop and have them get the proper thread/length for you ?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
TacoDell said:
Think you missed his point... He wants longer studs with the correct thread pattern that matches his OEM stud threading...

I don't know the answer... But couldn't you go to a tire and wheel shop and have them get the proper thread/length for you ?
Hell if I know the answer either but I'd think if the lugs fit in the hubs, they would fit the lug nuts. They are metric and I've seen them posted here and other places. Thread measurements like .120-.125? But I would still think they should be the same for the hubs as for the lug nuts. Why the hell does he need longer studs unless he has had to add spacer IMO!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did go to the parts store here (very small) and they said they couldnt get anything longer. I do not know what is up with it but the wheels are really thick through that part. Makes me feel better that they are stronger (I hope). They could get me some that would fit in the hub but they are a different pitch and only about an 1/8" longer. Just to make me feel better I wanted some longer ones. The nuts only will hold by about 1/4". Not enough if you ask me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Toyota uses longer studs on the rear axle. Just ask the parts store to get you 12 new rear axle studs. Takes about half hour to swap all of them out. hammar them out, then pull the new ones in with the lugs and an impact wrench. (The lugs will pull the studs through and seat them - use some kind of a spacer to assist the lug against the wheel mount surface, or just use the wheel)

The thread is M12x1.5 (but the toyota rear studs for a tacoma will get you the correct part) The rears should be about a 1/4" longer then the stock fronts.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
What Ryan said ^^^

MNtaco are you sure yer using the right lug nuts for that style of wheel ?

Here's a write up similar to yer issues...
from Trails Less Traveled... Clicky

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SWEET! I guess I didnt think of asking them if the rear are the size dia for in the hub. DAMN I wish I had thought of that one. Thanks a lot Ryan. Take care

1 - 8 of 8 Posts