TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Four brave souls set out on this blustery day to have a go at crossing the Spring Mountains via Wheeler Pass. Impressive since four trucks signed up and four trucks actually went. We were to shove off at 9:00 AM from the usual gas station at the intersection of Rte 159 and Rte 160. I showed up a few minutes late just to make sure that we would make it feel like a regular TTORA run :D

The weather was cold, low 40s when we left, and just got colder and colder as we climbed the hill towards Mountain Springs; then it started raining...

The weather map didn't look too happy either...

Then the temp hit the low 30s and this happened...

I can't remember the last time I saw one of these...

When we got down the other side it was just raining again most of the way to Pahrump.

We hit the dirt and aired down. As we headed up Wheeler Pass Rd, the weather was closing in again...

We made a few sightseeing stops and continued on, the snow was becoming more permanent...

Eventually we made it after Chuck learned a lesson in the finer points of airing down to drive in the snow. At the top it was a balmy 31 degrees with heavy cloud cover, wind and it was snowing as well. We took a few pics and headed down the other side in search of a place to have lunch.

Finally the snow petered out and lo and behold the sun was shining in the valley...

We ran into a group from Tacoma World heading up and over from the Vegas side. There were some guys on ATVs out enjoying the day as well. Once we arrived at the large picnic area near Cold Creek we all stopped to air up and have a bite to eat. We spent some time poking around Chuck's new 80 series and man that thing is nicely built.

My complete album with additional and all the full sized pics is here: http://lasvegashikes.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=27

The big Nikon stayed home and all of today's images are courtesy of the iPhone 4S which as it turns out is really a fantastic point and shoot camera.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like you guys had a nice run. We had 5 trucks up there and had a great time. I'm not sure if we were the group you ran into (3Tacos, an FJ and a Jeep) (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/south-west/90006-vegas-bs-thread-156.html) We got a late start from Durango Rd on the vegas side around 11, had to wait on a few people.

Lots of fresh snow, good times.

Maybe we can get a big group together to do it again after the holidays.

·
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like you guys had a nice run. We had 5 trucks up there and had a great time. I'm not sure if we were the group you ran into (3Tacos, an FJ and a Jeep) (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/south-west/90006-vegas-bs-thread-156.html) We got a late start from Durango Rd on the vegas side around 11, had to wait on a few people.

Lots of fresh snow, good times.

Maybe we can get a big group together to do it again after the holidays.
Yep, that was you guys. Did you go all the way down to Pahrump? Lots more snow on the Vegas side I thought.

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
Getting started.

The War Wagon

Fuck the BLM, let them live.

Danny, JP and me up top waiting on CRC to join us ;)

CRC surveying the situation

Had a good time and the sights up there are really incredible this time of year.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What problem was Chuck having ?
Run out of gas? :lmao:

You guys had more snow than us on Saturday, cool weather. Glad you all had fun.

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
What problem was Chuck having ?
He was taking off his lightforce amber filters and putting on his blue ones, the snow was flying and he wanted to improve his visibility ;)

·
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
648 Posts
Such a sweet rig CRC!
Thanks Charlie for showing me how to use some of the... options?
He was taking off his lightforce amber filters and putting on his blue ones, the snow was flying and he wanted to improve his visibility ;)
Those lenses saved us, huh? JP, good call on one of each! I smell a future tech article. Co- authors?
So cruel, and poor Chuck not here to defend himself.:rofl::rofl:
I feel some of the events of the past weekend have been misrepresented or at the very least misinterpreted. I would now like the opportunity to set the record straight.
This is how I remember things.(flashback sequence) (Wavy lines) We were supposed to meet at 0900. One of the members of our expedition party was running late, so I administered a stern verbal warning. Then an argument arose about who would lead said expedition. Nobody wanted the responsibility. I could see the men were again crying out for my leadership. Feeling I had an obligation I reluctantly agreed to be the leader. On the way to the trail my men attempted to stage a mutiny by communicating only through HAM. I quickly squashed the mutiny by declaring all communicating would be done by CB. The rest of the journey was pretty uneventful. After giving the lads a discourse on the finer points of politics, I gave an impromptu class on the importance of airing down before hitting the trail. I even demonstrated the pitfalls of airing down mid- run. We met some of my fans along the way, seeing as I was w/ my son I refused to sign any autographs. We stopped for lunch, at which point I fed the guys a five course meal I made W/ only a match a rock and a Grizzly Bear (I think this story is devolving into a mad lib) I had killed w/ my bare hands earlier in the trip. We said our good-byes, everyone thanked me profusely and we all lived happily ever after.
Getting off the train, so WIFI is over. I have more to say (closer to the truth), but if I can't get back before X-mas and/or the rest of hanukkah and/or Kwanza and/or... Happy Holidays! :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ok. Maybe JP is right. The truth is it was a great run, lead by Charlie. Evan (my son) and I had a blast. After learning the importance of having your ham license by being silenced during the ride to Wheelers Pass, JP set up his CB so I could participate in the radio banter.:cool: I did get good and stuck and a little scared during the aforementioned section. Probably somewhat due to laziness and somewhat due to my pump being broken for a while, I have gotten away from airing down. I had gotten to thinking of airing down much as I think about the HI-lift jack. When I first started getting into wheeling I kept reading about the importance of the HI-lift jack. I have never been on a run where I have seen anyone use one or even know how to use one for that matter. I have even stopped bringing mine. So like I said I have started to think of airing down much in the same way. But No more! I am now a convert! Seeing the difference in performance last Sunday was something else. It was literally like the difference you would expect between having 4wheel drive or not having it. So lesson learned and anecdote I can use to illustrate the impotence of airing down for the next generation of off roaders. Anyway thanks to the guys who went. - CC out!:cool::rolleyes::D
Ps. I am free Tues. and Weds. if anyone wants to get out. Scot?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hey Charlie, what kind a camera you using? The colors seem really brilliant.

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
Hey Charlie, what kind a camera you using? The colors seem really brilliant.
Nikon D90, but the saturation is setup to make the colors jump a little. ;)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Nikon D90, but the saturation is setup to make the colors jump a little. ;)
I've got an older D70, I'll have play with it some more, those are great pics.

"After learning the importance of having your ham license by being silenced during the ride to Wheelers Pass"

What happened??
Yea, I'm curious, did someone get in "trouble".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts